[How To] Keep your current Windows install with a new motherboard.

well I tried and it worked 1st boot it booed and then in the second boot it worked just fine. And u will be surprised if I told u that I moved that ssd from and AMD laptop to another and desktop and now it's running in a q9450 intel machine. I know that in older versions of windows it was not possible to change boards without a fresh install. But maybe it's a new windows 8 feature...

sorry but the auto correct it's a pain in the butt. I meant in the 1st boot BSOD... and then I meant another AMD desktop. Sorry by the length but I can edit on my phone

sorry but the auto correct it's a pain in the butt. I meant in the 1st boot BSOD... and then I meant another AMD desktop. Sorry by the length but I can edit on my phone

I also haven't tested it much with any Windows 8 install. Majority of these are normal win7/xp swaps.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I also haven't tested it much with any Windows 8 install. Majority of these are normal win7/xp swaps.

Try it with windows 8 if anyone else here has windows 8 in a machine try to boot that hard drive In another One and let me know if what I did worked as well...If it BSOD's then let it reboot a few times...

Try it with windows 8 if anyone else here has windows 8 in a machine try to boot that hard drive In another One and let me know if what I did worked as well...If it BSOD's then let it reboot a few times...

Haven't had any hardware swaps yet with any customer machines. Normally this applies when a customers motherboard dies and I need to replace it with 1) new mobo or 2) new mobo/cpu setup.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix

When u have the chance do it, for science and mithbusters lawl

Great info! i will probably just do a clean install for any of my personal systems, but this is some great information! It may come in handy in the future

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

i will follow this topic, looks like it can come really handy in the future.

The Syndicate

Actually, you don't need to do any of this.  Simply swapping the motherboard will work with Windows 7 and up.  

For a bit of speed improvement, you will do the same step of removing old drivers, but it will work without a problem. 

We've swapped between LGA2011/LGA1150/LGA1155 and AMD platforms.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

Sticky this thread it's really freaking useful!

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Ive jumped computer with all kinds of drives and windows usually adapts enough to get files and settings and stuff but you eventually start getting bluescreens as the drivers all bicker with each other

Thanks Guys! Fullmetal

You must NEVER go over 20% fan speed. ~ "Why's that?"~ Why do airport personnel wear hearing protection?

weird when i went from a ASUS P8Z77V-LX to this board i never had to reinstall windows.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Many time you can just boot especially if its replacing intel for intel or the like, youll just have to uninstall some drivers and install new ones. Win7 and Win8 have gotten really good at this sort of thing, I still recommend doing a clean install if you are doing a new build or swapping a major component like the MB.

Would you have to buy a new windows key tho?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Would you have to buy a new windows key tho?

As long as your not using that Key elsewhere, no.

As long as your not using that Key elsewhere, no.

Really? people were saying ne MB needs new windows...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Really? people were saying ne MB needs new windows...

No the Windows key is just a software license so you canm use it on different systems as long as long it is only used on one at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Dont understand the process how is this done  steps 1,2,3, ect...

or just use the Ultimate or Pro version of windows ?

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

• 1 month later...

or just use the Ultimate or Pro version of windows ?

Sometimes it's just not that easy. There are times when the drivers will cause a constant boot loop or blue screens.. This fixes that

The link doesn't seem to be working 

Updated the link,

• 1 month later...

Wow, dude, you may have just saved me S$160 dollars, I could now change my Pre-builts case and mobo without paying alot

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you don't need to do any of this.  Simply swapping the motherboard will work with Windows 7 and up.  

For a bit of speed improvement, you will do the same step of removing old drivers, but it will work without a problem. 

We've swapped between LGA2011/LGA1150/LGA1155 and AMD platforms.

I can attest to this, granted my swap was a B68 1155 to a z77 1155 and I was able to just install my old hard drive and boot it up. I was running Win7 and kept the same CPU and HDD but changed Mobo, RAM, GPU and PSU. It was a body/partial transplant of my old gaming rig.

Works just fine and runs anything as well as my other rig does and my older one did.

I can attest to this, granted my swap was a B68 1155 to a z77 1155 and I was able to just install my old hard drive and boot it up. I was running Win7 and kept the same CPU and HDD but changed Mobo, RAM, GPU and PSU. It was a body/partial transplant of my old gaming rig.

Works just fine and runs anything as well as my other rig does and my older one did.

That's due to similar drivers.

This software actually removes previous chipset drivers to allow it to boot because a lot of systems and people are upgrading from say an AMD to Intel or a Z68 era board to a Z97

i havent gone through any of these steps in the past and my windows 8 install has been across 3 motherboards.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3