Is i3 8350k and rx 480 enough for 1080p 60fps gaming at high settings ?

Go to solution Solved by Agonizel,

For the most part, yes.

But keep in mind that some (Jim's voice) "Triple A" games may be a bit too demanding and might dip below 60 at times. But for that you've got Freesync.

Competitive Gaming should be fine, but those are generally set on low anyway in order to see the essential better and faster

Yes, but don't get an 8350K.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

For the most part, yes.

But keep in mind that some (Jim's voice) "Triple A" games may be a bit too demanding and might dip below 60 at times. But for that you've got Freesync.

Competitive Gaming should be fine, but those are generally set on low anyway in order to see the essential better and faster

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

1 minute ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Yes, but don't get an 8350K.

Yes, a 8400/2600 does the same job for less money, it is more versatile (cores) and the motherboard will be cheaper. I totally agree with you fellow tech enthusiast, but please just take those 5 seconds to explain your statements. :)

RGB & Fan control ULTIMATE GUIDE !

At it's price I would rather go for a Ryzen 2600 or better still wait for Ryzen 3 but assuming this is part of some prebuilt or a hand-me-down from a buddy or something, sure it will do the trick mostly fine.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, Raze_47 said:

Unlocked i3s are never a good idea. Step up to at least an i5 (or, if you haven't bought the parts yet, Ryzen 5). The 480 is fine for the most part, but some of the newest games will start making you dial back the settings a bit more than you might otherwise like to.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

im gonna question this, do you really want that I3 8350K with a Z chipset board? if you do than just buy it, its not like im your accountant or anything.

You should be fine with it, but like others have said the unlocked i3 is a bad value, especially when the 9400f for much less or the Ryzen 2700 for like $20 more. This is assuming your are buying new. 

If if you’re using high not highest preset you should be more than fine. If you get it and a game is running under 60fps lowering antialiasing, lightning, and shadows to medium would be my go to.

Just get a Ryzen 7 2700, doesn't cost that much more but is miles above your i3

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Just now, NunoLava1998 said:

Just get a Ryzen 7 2700, doesn't cost that much more but is miles above your i3

If you oc the 2700 then it becomes even better

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

3 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

You should be fine with it, but like others have said the unlocked i3 is a bad value, especially when the 9400f for much less or the Ryzen 2700 for like $20 more. This is assuming your are buying new. 

If if you’re using high not highest preset you should be more than fine. If you get it and a game is running under 60fps lowering antialiasing, lightning, and shadows to medium would be my go to.

4 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

15 minutes ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

Yes, a 8400/2600 does the same job for less money, it is more versatile (cores) and the motherboard will be cheaper. I totally agree with you fellow tech enthusiast, but please just take those 5 seconds to explain your statements. :)

Where im from an i3 8350k is the same price as a ryzen 2200g

So yeah i chose i3 

FYI im on a tight budget

9 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

If you oc the 2700 then it becomes even better

Ryzen 7  2.5x the price of the i3

I dont have that much budget xd

13 minutes ago, Oalei said:

im gonna question this, do you really want that I3 8350K with a Z chipset board? if you do than just buy it, its not like im your accountant or anything.

Im going with a b series one 

I dont plan on oc

Just now, Raze_47 said:

Im going with a b series one 

I dont plan on oc

well thats just utter madness get something else like I5 or R5. 

OK maybe you though 4c/t is enough but what is the point of having a I3 8350k and not OC'd when the price is similar to other CPUs with more Cores or Threads with a little behind in clock speed.

I just want the system to be able to play at 1080p 60fps 

I dont mind lowering the settings

1 minute ago, Oalei said:

well thats just utter madness get something else like I5 or R5. 

OK maybe you though 4c/t is enough but what is the point of having a I3 8350k and not OC'd when the price is similar to other CPUs with more Cores or Threads with a little behind in clock speed.

Similar to other CPU s such as what?

Just now, Raze_47 said:

Similar to other CPU s such as what?

Ryzen 5 1600? I5 9400F? i mean its not quite close but its better for overall usage even not for 1080p 60fps you can go for like 100fps with a decent settings or better GPU.

3 minutes ago, Oalei said:

Ryzen 5 1600? I5 9400F? i mean its not quite close but its better for overall usage even not for 1080p 60fps you can go for like 100fps with a decent settings or better GPU.

Those cpus cost 90$ more than the i3 

2 minutes ago, Raze_47 said:

Those cpus are almost twice the price of the i3 in my area

well just buy a i3 8100 its also sufficient enough, like i dont want to spend extra money for something that i cant fully utilize. Well where are you SEA? Africa? SA? Asia?

2 minutes ago, Oalei said:

well just buy a i3 8100 its also sufficient enough, like i dont want to spend extra money for something that i cant fully utilize. Well where are you SEA? Africa? SA? Asia?

I3 8100 and 8350k same price

So i chose the 8350k for the higher clock speeds obviously

South Asia

1 minute ago, Raze_47 said:

I3 8100 and 8350k same price

So i chose the 8350k for the higher clock speeds obviously

South Asia

seems pretty reasonable yeah SEA (yeah im from one of those like 12 countries?) is very unstable with PC components pricing. How about used market? are you interested in those?

9 minutes ago, Thomas_nerd said:

YES!!

I like your answer

Just now, Oalei said:

seems pretty reasonable yeah SEA (yeah im from one of those like 12 countries?) is very unstable with PC components pricing. How about used market? are you interested in those?

Yeah somewhat

The rx 480 is used

Just now, Raze_47 said:

Yeah somewhat

The rx 480 is used

yeah clearly RX 480 is not being produced anymore. Well its going to hold 60fps in most games i think, because most games is just very optimize of just having 4c/t for some reasons.