Separate PSU for a GPU?

CupONoodles

So I’m currently running a salvaged Lenovo Thinkcentre which has a proprietary PSU. I’m hoping to build a system from scratch this summer for Ryzen 3rd gen. However I saw a good deal on a Vega 56 but since the PSU I have had no PCIe power, would it be a problem to run 2 PSUs, the proprietary one for the system, and something like a CXM 550/650W on the GPU? Otherwise the only other option I see would be take a chance on the V56 not being available later in the summer or pulling the trigger on the rest of the system.

tl;dr: is it safe to run 2 PSUs on one system?

7 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

So I’m currently running a salvaged Lenovo Thinkcentre which has a proprietary PSU. I’m hoping to build a system from scratch this summer for Ryzen 3rd gen. However I saw a good deal on a Vega 56 but since the PSU I have had no PCIe power, would it be a problem to run 2 PSUs, the proprietary one for the system, and something like a CXM 550/650W on the GPU? Otherwise the only other option I see would be take a chance on the V56 not being available later in the summer or pulling the trigger on the rest of the system.

tl;dr: is it safe to run 2 PSUs on one system?

Yes, but you need to turn both of them on at the same time and bridge the GPU power supply. 

You can also get/make a connector so both PSUs get their POWER_OK (turn on) signal from the motherboard. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

7 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Yes, but you need to turn both of them on at the same time and bridge the GPU power supply. 

You can also get/make a connector so both PSUs get their POWER_OK (turn on) signal from the motherboard. 

So something like this? And just press the power switch for MB and the back of the PSU at the same time?

https://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

2 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

So something like this? And just press the power switch for MB and the back of the PSU at the same time?

https://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Exactly this. 

Just make sure you bridge the right pins. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

44 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

So I’m currently running a salvaged Lenovo Thinkcentre which has a proprietary PSU

As in doesn't have a standard 24pin ATX motherboard connector? You can get adapters that convert the 24pin motherboard connector from a standard ATX PSU in to the proprietary connectors (14pin?). So you would be able to plug a new PSU in to the existing system. No need to run two PSUs at once.
They sell for about $2-$3 on eBay from China. Just make sure whichever you buy is compatible with your motherboard.

50 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

However I saw a good deal on a Vega 56 but since the PSU I have had no PCIe power, would it be a problem to run 2 PSUs, the proprietary one for the system, and something like a CXM 550/650W on the GPU? 

I would probably choose a different PSU if you're planning on running a Vega56. I mean, it'll work... But there's better stuff out there if you're using a high powered GPU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

even I may try this, thanks guys! :))