Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Separate PSU for a GPU?

CupONoodles
 Share

So I’m currently running a salvaged Lenovo Thinkcentre which has a proprietary PSU. I’m hoping to build a system from scratch this summer for Ryzen 3rd gen. However I saw a good deal on a Vega 56 but since the PSU I have had no PCIe power, would it be a problem to run 2 PSUs, the proprietary one for the system, and something like a CXM 550/650W on the GPU? Otherwise the only other option I see would be take a chance on the V56 not being available later in the summer or pulling the trigger on the rest of the system.

 

tl;dr: is it safe to run 2 PSUs on one system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

So I’m currently running a salvaged Lenovo Thinkcentre which has a proprietary PSU. I’m hoping to build a system from scratch this summer for Ryzen 3rd gen. However I saw a good deal on a Vega 56 but since the PSU I have had no PCIe power, would it be a problem to run 2 PSUs, the proprietary one for the system, and something like a CXM 550/650W on the GPU? Otherwise the only other option I see would be take a chance on the V56 not being available later in the summer or pulling the trigger on the rest of the system.

 

tl;dr: is it safe to run 2 PSUs on one system?

Yes, but you need to turn both of them on at the same time and bridge the GPU power supply. 

You can also get/make a connector so both PSUs get their POWER_OK (turn on) signal from the motherboard. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

 

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Yes, but you need to turn both of them on at the same time and bridge the GPU power supply. 

You can also get/make a connector so both PSUs get their POWER_OK (turn on) signal from the motherboard. 

So something like this? And just press the power switch for MB and the back of the PSU at the same time?

https://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

So something like this? And just press the power switch for MB and the back of the PSU at the same time?

https://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

Exactly this. 

Just make sure you bridge the right pins. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

 

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

So I’m currently running a salvaged Lenovo Thinkcentre which has a proprietary PSU

As in doesn't have a standard 24pin ATX motherboard connector? You can get adapters that convert the 24pin motherboard connector from a standard ATX PSU in to the proprietary connectors (14pin?). So you would be able to plug a new PSU in to the existing system. No need to run two PSUs at once.
They sell for about $2-$3 on eBay from China. Just make sure whichever you buy is compatible with your motherboard.
 

50 minutes ago, CupONoodles said:

However I saw a good deal on a Vega 56 but since the PSU I have had no PCIe power, would it be a problem to run 2 PSUs, the proprietary one for the system, and something like a CXM 550/650W on the GPU? 

I would probably choose a different PSU if you're planning on running a Vega56. I mean, it'll work... But there's better stuff out there if you're using a high powered GPU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

even I may try this, thanks guys! :))

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×