The Fastest Android I've Used! - OnePlus 7 Pro Review

JonoT

The OnePlus 7 Pro is one of my favorite Android flagships of the year, with the notch-less screen, pop-up selfie camera, and SUPER fast in-screen fingerprint reader!

Buy a OnePlus Smartphone on Amazon at https://geni.us/zl5So

So I guess you can call it "Eight Pro"

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

55 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

So I guess you can call it "Eight Pro"

Nerd!

/s

I'm not impressed. Things that bother me about it:

• No wireless charging.
  • Glass back - which means it'll break just by looking at it.
  • No headphone jack. (Just because everyone else removed it, doesn't mean that they should too!)
  • Curved glass - so it's even more fragile.
  • Pop-out camera. (Slow, will break, bad for IP rating)
  • No IP rating.
  • Price.

This annoys me in particular because I'm in the market for a new phone. I have an S8, but when I look at this thing, I'm wondering what the actual advantages are?

Smaller bezels? A larger battery? That's it?

I didn't want to buy another Samsung phone, but currently, it looks like I almost have to.
Even the Nokia 9 PureView and the Pixel 3a look more interesting to me than this.

And then on the non-Pro version, you get even downgraded to USB 2.0 in 2019. WHAT?!
Are you drunk OnePlus? 

6 minutes ago, Senzelian said:
  • No IP rating.

I know OnePlus in the past has said giving an IP rating to their phones would increase the price (I seem to remember 40 euros per phone - don't quote me on that), while accidental water damage is still not covered under warranty. That is why they didn't have an IP rating, so the consumer is not paying for something they won't be able to use.

But on a 700 Euro phone (where I live it seems to have that price) I think that is quite.. Stupid. In the past when they (OnePlus) was not one of the overpriced smartphone brands, but rather the 'flagship killer' I could have accepted that, but now it seems like an insult.

Looking at JerryRig's teardown, they do have an 'O-Ring' installed in the sim tray, so water resistance was at least a thought in their head? I guess..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

I know OnePlus in the past has said giving an IP rating to their phones would increase the price (I seem to remember 40 euros per phone - don't quote me on that), while accidental water damage is still not covered under warranty. That is why they didn't have an IP rating, so the consumer is not paying for something they won't be able to use.

But on a 700 Euro phone (where I live it seems to have that price) I think that is quite.. Stupid. In the past when they (OnePlus) was not one of the overpriced smartphone brands, but rather the 'flagship killer' I could have accepted that, but now it seems like an insult.

Looking at JerryRig's teardown, they do have an 'O-Ring' installed in the sim tray, so water resistance was at least a thought in their head? I guess..

I just heard about the cost of adding an IP rating as well in Mr. Mobile's review ($30 btw.), but it's more about confidence.
I don't have any confidence in a company that doesn't even let their products get IP rated when almost everybody else does it.

26 minutes ago, Senzelian said:
  • No wireless charging.
  • No headphone jack. (Just because everyone else removed it, doesn't mean that they should too!)
  • No IP rating.
  • Price.

Agree on wireless charging, glass-back, curved display and price. I am not willing to pay that much for a phone; even 400€ for a phone is a bit much for my taste, and I certainly refuse to support this stupid glass-back fad.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

57 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

• No wireless charging.
  • No IP rating.
  • Price.

This annoys me in particular because I'm in the market for a new phone. I have an S8, but when I look at this thing, I'm wondering what the actual advantages are?

I didn't want to buy another Samsung phone, but currently, it looks like I almost have to.
Even the Nokia 9 PureView and the Pixel 3a look more interesting to me than this.

And then on the non-Pro version, you get even downgraded to USB 2.0 in 2019. WHAT?!
Are you drunk OnePlus? 

*Linus’ opinion may change depending on sponsorship.

It's weird that Linus didn't mention IP rating at the recommendation part in the end (even though he did in the beginning), considering how he bashed other phones that didn't have it, even years ago. 

Losing about 10% going to 90 from 60 FPS is worth it imo, however, it has a 4000 mah battery and I have seen some highly mixed results, like 4 SoT? That needs more testing. 

And how come Linus never mentioned UFS 3.0? Pretty sure that makes some difference as well for the speed. Or new haptic feedback?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Fuck me.

$999 CAD.

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

It's weird that Linus didn't mention IP rating at the recommendation part in the end (even though he did in the beginning), considering how he bashed other phones that didn't have it, even years ago. 

Losing about 10% going to 90 from 60 FPS is worth it imo, however, it has a 4000 mah battery and I have seen some highly mixed results, like 4 SoT? That needs more testing. 

And how come Linus never mentioned UFS 3.0? Pretty sure that makes some difference as well for the speed. Or new haptic feedback?

I think he didn't mention UFS 3, because the main argument was that it is simply an incredibly fast phone. No need to mention it, if the avg. user just cares about the end result.

It says a lot about the generation I grew up in that I find a phone without wireless charging to be on the cheap end and outdated, but this is 2019 OnePlus where their flagship killer status doesn't really exist anymore so there was no excuse to not include it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Look like an awesome phone, but the lack of wireless charging, a headphone jack, IP rating, and most importantly, the price of 829 euros for the top model cause me to still keep my OnePlus One a little bit longer. I've had this 300 euro (!!) phone for over 4 years now, and still don't really feel the need to upgrade when everything is still working fine, and some features that it lacks (wireless charging, IP rating) are now still not included... And the price. €829. My OnePlus One was €300. I really don't feel like spending that much on a phone is reasonable.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Better off with a standard Oneplus 7 and get yourself a good looking T-shaped Headphone Jack/USB combo adaptor.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Honestly a phone without IP67/68, headphone jack, wireless charging and SD card expansion is completely unaccaptable to me, especially at that price. I dont really care about fancy screens or if its a little tiny bit faster. Also that camera is not only going to break if you are working as an engineer chances are you will have to put a privacy sticker on your phone camera at some point to enter a factory. Thats just impossible with this phone which means you will have to leave it at the entrance.

I just think modern phones sacrifice way to much usability for the screen to body ratio.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I commented this on floatplane but I feel like the discussion is better on the forum so I'll copy it here:

OMG I REALLY WANT THAT PHONE!!!... but.... I still personally like having a headphone jack. Do I use it all the time? No. I do own Bluetooth headphones but sometimes they run out of charge and I want to use a cable. Or I'm using them in the cafe at uni where there's loads of people using phones, laptops, and bluetooth headphones and I get interference, so I wanna use a wire. And yes I know USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adaptors exist but it's just another thing to have to remember.

Then there's the lack of wireless charging. Given this phone has a similar starting price to the Galaxy S10e which has wireless charging, and flagship phones have had this capability at least as far back as the Galaxy S6 (may be earlier but all I know is my sister can use my wireless charger) I find it annoying and frankly this phone should have it. Sacrifice the maybe half a millimetre or so you'd need to add it in. I also wish it had removable storage but that's less of an issue because I now use spotify for all my music and I don't take that many pictures if I'm honest.

But by far the biggest deal breaker for me, is the lack of water resistance. I live in Scotland. It rains here. A lot. And frankly, having to go inside to find a dry place to take your phone out to check a map or make a phone call is just annoying. I, like Linus, am a bit clumsy and it is entirely possible that I'll drop it in a puddle or knock over my tea onto the phone so the lack of water resistance is really annoying.

Other than that I love this phone so much. I love the idea of a phone that fast. I want a phone with a fingerprint sensor on the front again (cause it still annoys me the Galaxy S8 didn't have one). I want a full screen phone I don't need to slide or turn over for a selfie camera or deal with a notch or shrapnel wound. I want stereo speakers and a screen to rival the Samsung screens that have kept me loyal to Samsung for years.

I could probably learn to live with the lack of a headphone jack if the battery life is as good at they claim and doesn't degrade too badly over time (like 2 years is not unreasonable) but I don't think I'd go for this phone given the other issues I've listed above. Maybe if we get a OnePlus 7T Pro with wireless charging and water resistance then I'd go for it. But as of now, looks like I'll be sticking with my plan to get a Note 9 when my contract runs out.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

OnePlus has became what it was supposed to fight against.

Xiaomi already burned 1+ with their announcement of K20

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

20 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

OnePlus has became what it was supposed to fight against.

Xiaomi already burned 1+ with their announcement of K20

But doesn't Xiaomi have an annoying software skin and lots of bloatware? Or do the run Android One?

On 5/14/2019 at 8:14 PM, Senzelian said:

• No wireless charging.
  • No IP rating.
  • Price.

Are you drunk OnePlus? 

- No wireless, but has lightning fast wired charging.

- Glass back, you hate it, I love it. My 3rd all glass phone and none of them has ever shattered.

- Pretty much no flagship phone has headphone jack. Realistically, it's nice to have, but not a necessity for me.

- My second phone with curved glass. No issues. And looks sick.

- Popout camera. In my case, it would never see the light of day. So, great, given you have a clean edge to edge screen.

- Literally never cared about water resistance. I actually don't even know if iPhone XR that I have now has any rating.

- 650 bucks is a lot for a flagship with excellent everything and best performance of any Android? You do realize similar spec devices are sold for 1000 and more?

So, just as you can say a lot of features are stupid for you, I actually like them. If I didn't ditch entire Android market because of shitty Google, I'd be probably looking at OnePlus for the first time. Coz it's certainly a really good device.

19 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

- No wireless, but has lightning fast wired charging.

- Glass back, you hate it, I love it. My 3rd all glass phone and none of them has ever shattered.

- Pretty much no flagship phone has headphone jack. Realistically, it's nice to have, but not a necessity for me.

- My second phone with curved glass. No issues. And looks sick.

- Popout camera. In my case, it would never see the light of day. So, great, given you have a clean edge to edge screen.

- Literally never cared about water resistance. I actually don't even know if iPhone XR that I have now has any rating.

- 650 bucks is a lot for a flagship with excellent everything and best performance of any Android? You do realize similar spec devices are sold for 1000 and more?

So, just as you can say a lot of features are stupid for you, I actually like them. If I didn't ditch entire Android market because of shitty Google, I'd be probably looking at OnePlus for the first time. Coz it's certainly a really good device.

Here is how I see it:

1. I like wireless charging. There isn't much to say here, it's simply a great feature, which is also really cheap to implement. Every phone at over 300€ should have it!
  2. I just don't see the point in having glass. Sure it looks great, but I don't buy a phone for looks. It's not a status symbol for me. It's a tool.
  3. Just because every other phone doesn't have one, doesn't mean it shouldn't have one either. The Pixel 3a has one, all the Samsung flagships have one, even the new Motorola Vision One has one.
  4. Again, I don't care about looks. Imo it even looks worse and unprofessional. Again, I use it as a tool, not a toy.
  5. I barely use the front camera as well, but I don't know what was so bad about bezels tbh. Why make it complicated, when it could be simple?
  6. I could turn your point around now and say: "Everyone else does it". Instead I point out, that for me it's all about trust and a phone that doesn't get IP rated is a phone that's trying to hide something. I don't trust it and I don't trust the company - even after I had two OnePlus devices.
  7. 650 bucks is a lot for a phone that isn't a flagship. Yes, imo the OnePlus 7 Pro is not a flagship.
    Google just launched the Pixel 3a, which has ~80% of the features of the 7 Pro, but a better camera. And then we shouldn't ignore Xiaomi, ZTE and Honor, which all offer similar devices for less money.

And even if all that doesn't convince you, then how about this:
    OnePlus 7 Pro: 699€
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9: 640€

And yes of course it's a really good device - that's exactly what Michael Fisher said in his review. But it's simply not enough! OnePlus clearly settled.

Why people keep comparing crappy plastic Pixel 3a with cheap mid range chipset to glass and metal phones with top of the line chipsets? It's just so damn baffling. Not to mention Google's own phones are one of THE WORST in long term performance. It's absurd that phones which runs OS made by the same people and it shits itself after some time of use where OnePlus seems to be speedy forever. Last plastic phone I had was Galaxy S2. Count how many years back that is. And glass and metal just feels and looks WAY better when you hold it. Plus it's way more durable for normal wear. I've never shattered any phone, but all had scuffs on the back. With white glass, it can be badly scratched and it'll still look great. Good luck with plastic or painted metal that screams silver color with every scratch lol...

If OnePlus isn't flagship, then what is? Shitty plasticky Pixel 3a everyone keeps raving about? Come on dude... In that case I'd rather buy Xiaomi Mi9...

Linus mentioned 'always-on support', as in being able to disable the screen-off timer? Download and use the No Screen Off app.

3 minutes ago, danwat1234 said:

Linus mentioned 'always-on support', as in being able to disable the screen-off timer? Download and use the No Screen Off app.

Keeping your screen on at all times does not mean you have "always on". That'd be like keeping your high beams on all day and calling them "daytime ruining lights".