Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What does your company offer as a work computer?

13' hp elitebook. Seems their popular! 
8gb ram, 7th teh i5. A bit overkill for Microsoft suite type of work, but nice to have a modern machine  

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Well I'm the IT guy myself. So anything that fits the budget.

I work at a startup so everything is decided a bit more loosely .

The developers have the choice between the newest reasonable refurbished macbook or a new lenovo. So far all our graphic designers use macbooks. The most powerfull machine (not taking the servers in consideration) is the dell xps with quadro for our product designer. He needs to render and draw things. Other roles usually get a dell latitude. Management can choose between a refurbished macbook(usually old dev macs) or some windows ultrabook of my(it) choosing.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't started working yet so I'm not entirely sure but based on what I saw of the other IT staff and based on my position, I will either be supplied with  a Surface Book 2 or something equivalent.

Edit: I ended up getting a Thinkpad Edge E590 15" with an intel core i5 8625U 1.8GHz, 1TB SSD, 16GB  DDR4 RAM, solid system overall, glad I didn't get the surface book in the end.

The boss refuses to give me the computer. I had to buy it myself. Every morning, when I stare in the mirror, the boss stares back and tells me to go to work, you worthless bastard. For some reason, the "boss" looks just like me. Then i realise it's.......

I get to choose one of many crappy laptops and pair it with any screen i can find. (We sell electronics so there is somewhat of a selection) I ended up bringing my own sff build: ryzen 5 2400g,  gigabyte auros b450, 16 gb ram ddr4 dual slot, 250 gb sata m.2 ssd, pico psu- and paired it with a dell 27in 2560x1440@60hz, brought my own wireless keyboard (I hardly type anything anyways) and a g520 mouse from a return.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Bog-standard office PC. Uses a Skylake Core i3-6300, 3.8GHz. No dedicated GPU. Basic keyboard and mouse as well, though I do get two 1080p monitors to work with, which is better than what I have at home.

Ballz 3D is the greatest videogame ever made.

--

Space heater PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 || GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 550 4GB (640SP) || Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX/BR || Storage: 2x 500GB HDD || Memory: 8GB DDR3 (2x 4GB 1600MHz) || PSU: CORSAIR VS500 (2017) || Case: TGT Stryker Mid Tower || Keyboard & Mouse: OEX Cobby, Fortrek Spider 2.

The computer I use most at my work is a POS. I mean literally, a POS.

OK, ok, so that means "point of sale". Not sure exactly what all software it runs. The second most commonly used 'computer' I deal with is a Symbol handheld scanner that runs Android. Lastly, I log into other company assets via a little 'dumb terminal' that looks like a Netgear router. I think the OS is a terminal services equivalent of either XP or Vista. Yeah, enterprise infrastructure in a non-tech company can be really out of date.

Dell Precision Laptop w/ a Xeon E-2276M processor and 32gb of ram.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA III, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out (getting its facelift as of June 2020 have new air cooler, drives etc.  About 60% finished.  Will no longer be a closed loop system.  Slight update, upgraded to larger SSD, and air cooling installed Arctic Alpine cooler.

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO w/ 12mm thick fans to fit in top exhaust, 256gb TIMETEC SSD, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman gaming mouse

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

I've seen a few setups, some personally, some through second-hand info.

• One place had a bit of a variety with the lower tier being a sandy bridge i3, 4 GB of RAM, and a HDD.  When new it was fine but over time, as you'd expect, it became slow and in some cases almost unusable, depending who you asked.  They were planning a much needed company-wide upgrade to SSDs last I heard.
  • One place had serious issues with budget management and bureaucracy, leading many people to work on underpowered machines with the only option being to step up to a massively overpowered engineering class workstation, which may or may not happen depending on a variety of factors.  Not sure of the exact hardware on the base models but it was good enough for some tasks though not others, hence the unfortunate gap in available specs.  They also offered laptops but they were unusably slow and old (turion CPU, etc.)
  • One place just let you use your own machine, whatever it was.  Their issue was more to do with workflow than hardware and would struggle on anything given the right storm of factors.
  • One place offers just laptops, and relatively decent ones at that (8 GB RAM, 5300U, SSD).  Their issue is a mindbendingly slow internal network.  Just opening "This PC" to get a list of drives can easily take upwards of 30 seconds.

As you can see every place has things it's figured out, but also some problems, sometimes serious ones.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• Random private engineering firm: I was basically in IT, and I got dominion over all the unused and broken laptops, so I just had a selection of 2-8 year old laptops :D
  • Large Bank - Business Analyst: I got a NUC-style PC with a 2 core, 2 thread CPU about a year old. 8GB RAM. Honestly fine for the tasks I had to do
  • Large Bank - Developer: I got a thinkpad that was a couple years old, middling specs. I did most of my work on remote servers, so didn't really matter. just needed chrome and a terminal
  • Software startup: $3K+ macbook pro (2 or so years old). All I needed was a chromebook with a terminal and 4GB+ RAM, but startups gotta startup
  • Large Microprocessor company: 3 or 4 year old laptop, 8gb RAM, 6th gen u-series CPU. Just needed to write code, do emails/docs and such, etc. Real testing and stuff done on other systems, so sufficient again. Although I REALLY could use more RAM. Too many API docs in chrome for 8GB RAM. Plus all the background stuff large companies force onto your systems.

Main Gaming Rig: i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 2400, Modded Corsair 280x Case, Full Soft Watercooling
Second Testbench Rig: i7-4770K @ 4.6 GHz, RX 580 (air cooled), 16GB DDR3 1866, Thermaltake Core P3 White TG, CPU Soft Watercooling

Third Server Rig: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Fractal Core 500, Full Soft Watercooling

Fourth LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ AGESA pls, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

Fifth Router Rig: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

up to a massively overpowered engineering class workstation, which may or may not happen depending on a variety of factors.  Not sure of the exact hardware on the 

I put in a new machine request (also wanted to get away from my SFF desktop at work i5 6 series with 8gb ram) because my excel calculations were taking 5 minutes per pivot table refresh (15mb excel file pulling from other network files).  For 4 months I waited with IT saying "its on backorder" all the while we are replacing some machines here with i7 9850H's so I grabbed one and checked its calc time and it was 10 seconds.  So I shot IT a message and was like - just give me one of these, what is taking so long I just need at least 8 threads and 16gb ram.

Response:  Your Xeon E-2276M powered laptop with 32gb of ram just arrived, will image and send to you today.

Me:  WORKSTATION LAPTOP.  Well, at least that explains the 4 month backorder delay lol.  Im all over here just crunching excel formula lol.

Also me: AND IT HAS A 10 KEYPAD  *masturbation noises intensify*

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4 ATX, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 128gb Patriot Scorch NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MS30 M.2 SATA III, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dwight: The Mixed Metals Loop Media Center.  Ask me about it.  Currently decommissioned to move to an mATX setup on a new MOBO once I pick one out (getting its facelift as of June 2020 have new air cooler, drives etc.  About 60% finished.  Will no longer be a closed loop system.  Slight update, upgraded to larger SSD, and air cooling installed Arctic Alpine cooler.

Schrute: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0, FX 8350, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (4x4) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz, Sparkle/FSP 650w PSU, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm AIO w/ 12mm thick fans to fit in top exhaust, 256gb TIMETEC SSD, 1tb WDBlack HDD, Rosewill Nautilus 1.0 case.  DSI 90-Key Mechanical Keyboard w/ Cherry Red switches, Zalman gaming mouse

Micro Form Factor Dell OptiPlex 3040: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

a potato.

No joke but these are the specs:

i7-2820QM  (dual core LUL)

16g ram

1tb SDD (at least 1 thing is nice)

oh and I do a type of development which can be very heavy on resources which run on Hyper-V (with a vm for the network & a DC also as it's usually installed on servers) LMAO. Jfc it's bad, sometimes I can't deploy because it fails midway. Since I remote work I just gave up and use my own pc usually. For context, similar development at my old job was done on servers 6 core server you'd connect to then later azure, now I do it on a dual core laptop.

LOL...I have the same EXACT computer at work running Win 10. It's okay, but gets slow when I have a lot of crap (especially large excel files) open at the same time. 4 cores and 8 GB of RAM isn't enough sometimes...

image.png.f8a86add274038c53d7fe181507bd723.png

Working in music/audio mastering/production, using 2019 iMac's with a 2tb "fusion drive", intel core i5, 8gb ram, and a Radeon pro 580x i believe, Prefer a window's PC, but its relatively easy to use with the software we use. And i hate the magic mouse with an absolute passion. Actually take a logitech MX Master with me as i hate the things so much.

If you have any questions about ultra high end audio (Or any speakers or audio gear!), don't be afraid to shoot me a message, or mention me.

Spent over 960k on audio gear, still trying to increase sound quality.

Why 44.1kHz is all you need: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist–Shannon_sampling_theorem

How loud should you listen?: http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

I recently got a position as a System Developer at an insurance company working on their CRM and they gave me a Dell Inspiron 5400 with an 8th gen i7-8665U, 16gb of ddr4, and a 256gig nvme drive. Like most we also have docking stations paired with dual 27inch and 24inch monitors.