What does your company offer as a work computer?

Shepanator

My last workplace was a small IT support company. Most of our systems ranged from Core 2 duos to Core i5s. Our standard desktops (mainly used by first-line support and the administration department) had i3s 4gb ram and 500GB HDDs. But the systems used for second-line support mainly had random custom core 2 duo systems. I believe the system I used more for the second-line had: core 2 duo 4gb and some low-end GeForce card while the system I used at the repair department had Athlon x2 6GB ram onboard Nvidia chip and a dedicated 7 series Nvidia GPU and a couple TB of storage.

Main system

Spoiler
X5650 (4gzh), Hyper 212 Black Edition, Asus Sabertooth X58, 24GB, MSI GTX 1070 AERO 8G OC and ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 4GB OC, COSMOS II 25th Anniversary Edition, 
HP Omen 25 1080P 144hz monitor

Main server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

2x Intel Xeon E5530, 2.40GHz, 4 cores 8 threads (total 8 cores 16 threads), 48GB, Quadro FX3700

Main laptop (HP Omen 15-ax280nd)

Spoiler

i7-7700HQ, 8GB, GTX 1050

(24/7) Application hosting server

Spoiler

(Case) VDG/Chenbro RM13704, AMD 5350, 2,05GHz, 4 cores, 8GB

Storage server (HP ProLiant ML350 G6)

Spoiler

Intel Xeon E5620, 2.40 GHz, 4 cores 8 threads, 8GB

NAS

Spoiler

ReadyNAS 2100, 4x1TB storage with 1TB of usable storage (3 drives used for backups).

I work at corporate (headquarters) for a Fortune 100 retailer. Everybody in tech gets MacBook Pros, generally the 15". It's not always quite the latest version, but usually that but lagged a bit. In 2018 a bit after the refresh I got the 2017 model with the integrated Intel HD 630, but I know people with 2019 models right now, even with the Core i9.

Other users get Dell Windows laptops, some Latitudes mostly I think. Though I've seen some with a very small bezel that was maybe an XPS 13 or something. I don't really pay attention to it.

Most things I run that are relatively intensive would be in the cloud, though, or on-premises servers and clusters. The MBP is I guess useful for having a decent screen, webcam, and audio, which we actually use a lot given that other members of the team and other teams work in other offices.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:00 AM, Shepanator said:

I'm interested to hear what other companies have to offer, anything interesting or exotic?

does a 2004 Honda Fit count as a computer? Its got a built-in mp3-style player that stores CDs. Its all in japanese so I dont know much about it. GPS is also japanese so it shows me in the ocean. It also has a 7-speed gear box which is a lot of fun. It's quite zippy for a little car. I wouldnt buy one for myself. I have to get accupuncture on my calves everytime i drive it coz it doesnt "fit" my legs.

A few years ago I got a AIO quad core i7. The CPU was really good ~3GHz. The hard drive though was a WD blue 2.5" drive. It was pretty snappy. I'd happily use, again, one of these laptop-style desktop i7s that they put in thinclient/NUC/AIO

On 5/16/2019 at 12:25 AM, Koeshi said:

Sounds like you are just having shitty luck, I have had to replace a few batteries but for the most part machines are running fine past the end of their warranty.

5 months later, three more of the Latitude E7470's have been returned in a "will not redeploy" state. One of them the charging cables burned through and destroyed the replacement battery.

The new 7490's are at least quad-core's now, but they're still not being deployed with sufficient RAM. One of them was mistakenly given to CAD engineer and I was like "That's gonna melt it." 

If I could recommend things to IT staff, please don't punish the end users just to exercise some short-term control goal. They switched from the appropriate powered USB-C docks to inappropriate unpowered USB-C docks and it couldn't be about money since it costs more to buy separate additional power bricks than simply buying the powered USB-C dock which comes with an appropriate power brick in the first place. 

The Precision 7510's are due for replacement this year, and since those all came with EPort docks, it's going to be insane trying to replace those powered docks with unpowered docks. 

I recently changed to i7 9800X and 32GB RAM. But the dumb IT guys only used 2 DIMMs... so my gotdam computer is running on dual channel LOL. 

I figure the next time I need memory it'll switch to quad channel. Other quirky thing is they used a pretty garbage 2.5" HDD inside this nice tower. So will probaly ask for SSD first. I use Readyboost on a 32GB Samsung Bar Plus flash drive, it helps a LOT

We use hp products and everyone in my department gets developer grade machines (32gb ram minimum)

I have one of the new g5s(I think it is) which I use most of the time due to the snappy 8 core in it. I also have a book with dual xeons which is an absolute beast, but had issues initially with the golden image they used so I made it a stand to prop up my other laptop and dock.

I also have an examiner machine I remote in to for various tasks that is running dual xeon 12 cores with 512gb of ram and a pretty good sized storage raid.

Lastly I have a pretty sick lab environment on an unlabeled line that I can detonate malware on when I want a more in depth look than what your average sandbox provides.

That being said I work for a company that is a fortune 10 (actually much closer to a fortune 1) but I still can't really give away which one lol. That being said our budget for my department is huge. 

I work for a automotive supplier in the engineering/development department and do CAD work. We are supplied with HP PC's rocking i7 6700's (with HT disabled for some reason) , 32gb ram, a Quadro K2200 and best of all, a Samsung 960evo enterprise equivalent nvme ssd. We also recently upgraded everyone to dual 1200p 24" displays. 

It does a pretty decent job but sometimes a little higher specced PC would be nice. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Starting my job as an IT tech tomorrow, asked what i was getting and the answer was "HP laptop" and im not looking forward too it. The laptop they seemed to have looked to have the elitebook silver styling but it also looked thin and light so i have no clue what its going to be. Will report back tomorrow i guess :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm a video editing cum design intern at a marketing agency.

The system they gave me has an i5 4440 and 16 gigs of RAM with about a terabyte of storage. I have to say, scrubbing through 1080p footage without a GPU isn't that hard on the system, but the exports are really slow. 200mb file in 15 minutes on my work machine versus 15 minutes for a 5 gig file on my home computer

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

Everyone here has 27in 5K iMacs, I had mine upgraded to 32GB of Ram because I run a bunch of VMs.

My Work Machine at home is a 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (Preparing for the hate :) ) I really do not like working on Windows, but my gaming machine is Windows if that makes it any better LOL

StrixTeamRed: AMD Ryzen 3800x//ROG Strix X570-E//GSkil Trident Z Neo 3600//Samsung 970 1TB//TT Toughpower Grand 850 Gold RGB//nVidia GTX 1070 TI//Corsair Crystal 570X
Gaming Laptop: Razer Blade 15 (i7 8750H//GTX 1060 Max Q//500GB NVME SSD//32GB//Windows 10 Pro) // Razer Core V2
Media Server: Intel Core i5 4690k//16gb DDR3 1600//Nvidia GTX 650//250gb Samsung EVO//1.5TB 7200//2x 3TB 7200//Windows 10 Pro
Laptop: MacBook Pro 15in i9 16GB/500GB Other: Oculus Rift//iPhone X//iPad Mini 4//Apple Watch Sport

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/mrfrankvegas Twitter: https://twitter.com/MrFrankVegas

We're virtualized. Almost all of our departments use a zero client. The only departments that don't use it are ones that go out into the field, and they're given ruggeds/getacs.

I work in the IT dept. on in a public learning centre - basically highschool for adults - IT get Lenovo X240's, apart for my boss' rocking X1 carbons - All other leaders (who don't even know how to connect a projector or show a powerpoint) get X280's with i7, 16gb ram, nvme SSD. I run a i5-4200u and 8gb ram, sata SSD.. ?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

HP Pro desk 600 w/ i5 6500, 8GB DDR4 RAM, 450GB HDD (most storage is network based) and a Nvidia GeForce210 to be able to run a dual monitor setup.

Not bad for gaming if you install a SSD, trash the Nvidia GPU and throw in a RX580 ?

I have a Lenovo Y700 for my work desk, connected to a docking station with dual screens. 

Intel i7-6700HQ

Samsung 16GB

Nvidia GTX 960M 4gb

32GB msata + 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Kind of overkill for what I use but was under budget for what we could spend at the time.

Obviously it is only used for "work purposes".

Spoiler

My Rig {TEAM RED} --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X GPU: Powercolor Red Dragon RX590 8GB PSU: Novatech Powerstation V2 500w Semi Modular 

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming RAM: Adata XPG 16GB 3000mhz Storage: Sandisk Ultra 120GB SSD + 1 WD 1TB Blues

Case: Corsair Carbide Spec 05   Cooling:  AMD Raith Spectre RGB  Monitor:  Benq XL2420Z

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion SPECTRUM  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SPECTRUM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For now i have a Hp Elitebook 850 G4(i think), I7 7600U, 16GB of RAM and a 480GB SSD :) 

Pretty decent, dont know when or if im getting something else, i doubt anyone would object if i just grab a whatever laying around as part of my job is being in charge of the laptops :P 

Feels pretty overkill for a web browser and document writer with the I7 but i have no complaints. Really happy about the amount of RAM, really sucks to be stuck with 8GB like my highschool laptop was(Zbook which is basically the same laptop but with a meh GPU)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

13' hp elitebook. Seems their popular! 
8gb ram, 7th teh i5. A bit overkill for Microsoft suite type of work, but nice to have a modern machine  

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Well I'm the IT guy myself. So anything that fits the budget.

I work at a startup so everything is decided a bit more loosely .

The developers have the choice between the newest reasonable refurbished macbook or a new lenovo. So far all our graphic designers use macbooks. The most powerfull machine (not taking the servers in consideration) is the dell xps with quadro for our product designer. He needs to render and draw things. Other roles usually get a dell latitude. Management can choose between a refurbished macbook(usually old dev macs) or some windows ultrabook of my(it) choosing.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't started working yet so I'm not entirely sure but based on what I saw of the other IT staff and based on my position, I will either be supplied with  a Surface Book 2 or something equivalent.

Edit: I ended up getting a Thinkpad Edge E590 15" with an intel core i5 8625U 1.8GHz, 1TB SSD, 16GB  DDR4 RAM, solid system overall, glad I didn't get the surface book in the end.

The boss refuses to give me the computer. I had to buy it myself. Every morning, when I stare in the mirror, the boss stares back and tells me to go to work, you worthless bastard. For some reason, the "boss" looks just like me. Then i realise it's.......

I get to choose one of many crappy laptops and pair it with any screen i can find. (We sell electronics so there is somewhat of a selection) I ended up bringing my own sff build: ryzen 5 2400g,  gigabyte auros b450, 16 gb ram ddr4 dual slot, 250 gb sata m.2 ssd, pico psu- and paired it with a dell 27in 2560x1440@60hz, brought my own wireless keyboard (I hardly type anything anyways) and a g520 mouse from a return.

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.

The computer I use most at my work is a POS. I mean literally, a POS.

OK, ok, so that means "point of sale". Not sure exactly what all software it runs. The second most commonly used 'computer' I deal with is a Symbol handheld scanner that runs Android. Lastly, I log into other company assets via a little 'dumb terminal' that looks like a Netgear router. I think the OS is a terminal services equivalent of either XP or Vista. Yeah, enterprise infrastructure in a non-tech company can be really out of date.