What does your company offer as a work computer?

Shepanator
14 minutes ago, CCPSSteve said:

Look at this beautiful piece of hardware that my job provides us technicians (IT for large school system). 

HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE Notebook PC

It has a touch screen, what more could you ask for when doing IT work :P

/s

This is actually a fun thing with LEGO, us engineers as told earlyer has DELL... with the spec that we want, the designers have MACBOOKS..

so we have a whole department building windows onto macbook´s and local service, because of designers, and the love for MAC... so they always run the newest Macbook pro´s, IMAC´s and whatever else they want.

I work as an IT Technician in a pharmaceutical group and they provided me with a LENOVO T480 (i57300U with 8GB of RAM), hooked on a docking station linked to 2 HP Elite Display E233 and a combo of LOGITECH MK540 Advanced.

Lenovo T470s - i7-7600U 16GB RAM 256GB SSD

I don't want to upgrade to the T480s only because it replaces the Lenovo UltraDock

5 minutes ago, aitaix said:

I don't want to upgrade to the T480s only because it replaces the Lenovo UltraDock

My main reason for holding on to my 470.  :) I'll have to upgrade next year...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

I don't get a laptop as I don't need one, but those that do, have a variety of normal HPs, HP spectres & Macbooks depending on who they are.

The desktop I have at work is an HP Pro 3300 SFF with an i3-2120 (HT dual core... awesome 4 threads), 6gb of RAM & a mighty 455gb of spinning rust on Windows 10 Enterprise. I am due a new PC when the IT guy gets around to it or I decided to sabotage this one enough. The new ones are just essentially some newer version of what I already have, with some 7/8th gen intel i3, probably with 8gb of RAM instead and probably still spinning rust. Also have super quality dual 17" 4:3 monitors...(/s if you need that...) I bought my own mouse as the one I had was a stock HP shitty thing, so my MX Master 2S is probably the most expensive part of the whole setup.

To be honest, apart from opening outlook, it actually isn't the worst thing for speed unless I have a specific Excel workbook open, which will take 5-10 seconds to recalculate everything if I change 1 single figure in the data pickup part, where the rest of the tabs pick up their information from.

A really old HP Laptop: 8460p which is a 2nd gen i5 4gb ram, crap 768p screen (At home I always use a 1080p external screen so it's bearable) and the hdd I am pretty sure died long ago and was replaced. Battery is a 6 cell but I am pretty sure I only got half of the cells still alive since I get best case scenario 30 minutes of battery time while on idle so just enough to move between conference rooms otherwise it's better to hybernate it or turn it off.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I work as a 'service engineer' aka tech support for a company that mainly does B2B software etc and I'm in the hardware devision.

I have an HP EliteBook 850, i5-7200u, 8GB, 512GB and an additional 27" QHD HP monitor at the office (+dock)

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

Didn't look at exact hardware configuration but Lenovo X1 Carbon and dock, sixth gen i5 and 8GB of RAM. I think we're supposed to be getting some micro desktops soon with 8th gen i5s as well.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I have a couple … I have the top end late 2015 15" MacBook pro with the i7 16 gigs of ram and the descrete graphics.  I also work off a Dell T1700 with 16 gigs of ram and two Quadro cards in it.  It is equipped with a Xeon 1271v3

I work in IT, both as a network admin at a public safety center (police/fire) building, and also do computer repairs on the side. At the network admin job I have a simple Dell desktop setup, i7,16gb ram, 512tb ssd and 2tb mechanical drive, and a 4 gb video card, dont even remember what brand it is. For mobile work from there I just have a spare Panasonic Toughbook that isn't assigned to a cruiser. My personal carry laptop is actually a small Samsung Chromebook. I like it that I can carry and use it all day and sometimes go more than a day without a charge. 

I work for a large tech company that makes public sector software. We are contracted with Dell so everything is Dell. 

I run a Dell Precision with an i7-6820HQ @ 2.7Ghz, 16 GB ram, 500GB SSD,  Win 10 Pro, and three 24 inch 1080P monitors connected to a docking station. 

Dell Latitude everywhere.... They will always be.. Dell.. <<Boring Laptops>>

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

An AMD E2 at 1.6 Ghz, 6 GB RAM (don't know the speed wanna say 2133 Mhz?), 1TB Hard drive at 5400 RPM, No graphics Card. So yeah, not much to work with. Dunn really matter.

21 hours ago, Zafeti said:

Dunn really matter.

What kind of/line of work?  I take it with that CPU not opening a whole lot of Excel or databases without it chugging.

We don't get personal computers, but the one that I use all the time at work (only use it to look at booking lists and printing preference sheets)

We use Dell Optiplex 3060 Micro form factors, usually with a Core i5 quad cores, waterproof keyboard, stock Dell mouse and a Dell 19" monitor from 2006

Main Rig: Ryzen 7 2700 | T-Force 32GB 3000mhZ | Corsair Carbide SPEC-06 Case | Corsair H100x AIO | Corsair CX750M PSU | Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC

Storage Server: Lenovo ThinkCentre M73 Mini PC | i3 4130T 2.90Ghz | 4GB SoDIMM | 500GB WD Blue Internal | 6TB Seagate External | 1TB Seagate External | OS: Openmediavault

Being kind costs nothing. Make the world a better place!

My workplace uses 6th Gen Lenovo X1 Carbons with the optional fingerprint reader, 16GB and then everything else mid-spec.

They're super nice due to the small size, and Thunderbolt 3.

We manufacture USB-C, triple monitor docks that also support 60W of power delivery, so we use our docks as a single connection to the network, 3 displays, and power and it's wonderful.

The machines are pretty light, easy to carry around, and the option to dock/un-dock with one cable combined with the rest makes them amazing when I have to move around for peer training or meetings. Plus, the battery is about 3h on normal, and about 6 on power save, which is more than enough for the office.

They certainly aren't perfect though. My one gripe, is their Bluetooth is trash... like, I can leave my headset connected, but if I get a support call and no audio comes through consistently for like 5m, it'll start stuttering like it's from a 56K modem. I don't know why it happens. Doesn't occur with my phone, desktop at home (using a little $40 BT adapter), or my old MSI GE60-2OE laptop. A simple disconnect/reconnect resolves this issue and it occurs for many around the office with BT headphones from MPow, to my Sennheiser HD1-IE BT's, to one of my Technical Lead's Sony WH-1000XM3s.

Beyond that, great little machines.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

We use touch screen AIO's from HP with Core i5's in them. I assume they're dual core I5's & 8GB of ram.. They do the job, which is mostly web based anyway.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

For us it's pretty much what happens to be the best laptop currently in sale or that happens to fall into our laps. I ended up with a HP Pavilion. 

Working for a software company.

Developers get an iMac and a MacBook Pro to work from home.

Rest get a MacBook Pro.

I work for Dixons (currys, pcworld, carphone warehouse) in the UK and we have HP Prodesk 400 G1s

I5 4570 and 8gb RAM

Nothing special but decent enough for Win 7 (and 10 when they upgrade us)

I work for a health corporation in a smaller building separate from the main hospital and offices. Fifty percent of all of our work is done on computers, mainly on a VM. 

This building has been up and running (almost self sufficiently) since 2009. 

We are using Dell Optiplex 780s, and these are the absolute worst. These machines have been on for 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week, for 10 years, with little to no maintenance.

It's easy to say these machines aren't up to par with the rest of the hospital's computers.

It's also worth noting these computers were rejects.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

• 3 weeks later...

I got a hp pavilion g6 from 2014 for being my uncles nephew.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Work for a networking company

Right now I have a ThinkPad P50 with 64GB of RAM and an i7-6820HQ but next year I'll probably upgrade to the P52 or P53, whatever is available. Every 3 years we get a refresh and the choice is between a ThinkPad and Apple laptop

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: