Crowdfunded game Outer Wilds is now an Epic Store timed exclusive

In an update sent today to backers, the game Outer Wilds, crowdfunded on Fig, will apparently now be released first on Xbox and PC on Epic.

In a campaign update, the team said

Outer Wilds will first be released on XBox One and on PC via the Epic Games Store, with additional platforms coming later.

As a part of the initial campaign, the plan was, which backers contributed with knowing, to release to Steam on PC, Mac, and Linux, alongside Xbox One, all at the same time. Now, support for Mac and Linux are "TBD", and the developers/publisher have not clarified if it will eventually come to Steam.

Personally, this is worse than the other exclusivity deals Epic has done, as this was done for a game that was crowdfunded, before they've delivered to their backers. This means that a lot of people likely contributed who play on Mac or Linux, or don't want to use the Epic Store, and are now being told that they might get to play at a later date, but if they want to get the game on launch, it has to be on Xbox or on the Epic Store on PC. At least with other games it was before people had invested money in the game, and if they had, it was pre-orders which could be cancelled.

Sources:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-05-12-outer-wilds-becomes-another-epic-games-store-pc-exclusive-and-some-backers-are-not-happy

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/outer-wilds/updates/912

IIRC not the first crowd funded game they've done this to.

Money talks, and this unfortunately is an easy target for them. Kind of shady IMO, and another reason I won't use the Epic Game Store.

Though, tbh the game's already pretty far behind...so those people likely gave up on it already anyway. Why people crowd fund games is beyond me.

Has Star Citizen not taught anyone a lesson? ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Why people crowd fund games is beyond me.

I thought Obsidian was bought and funded by MS now?

#Muricaparrotgang

13 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

What does Obsidian have to do with anything?

14 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

*shrug* link said the game was crowd funded.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

16 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

*shrug* link said the game was crowd funded.

Outer Wilds =/= Outer Worlds though both are exclusives I guess lmao

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, Derangel said:

Oh. I thought it was the Obsidian game.Outer WORLDS.

Nevermind me then.

#Muricaparrotgang

1 minute ago, S w a t s o n said:

Got it.

BTW, I can never not stare at that man light his beard for fire for at least 30 seconds.

#Muricaparrotgang

Wasn't this announced like a month ago? 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, JZStudios said:

Got it.

BTW, I can never not stare at that man light his beard for fire for at least 30 seconds.

mmmmmm yes, gaze deeply into the burning forest of follicles

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Just now, S w a t s o n said:

mmmmmm yes, gaze deeply into the burning forest of follicles

I just can't help but ponder what would lead a man to pop his teeth out and light his face on fire.

#Muricaparrotgang

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Wasn't this announced like a month ago? 

" Posted: 05/10/2019 "

You're thinking of Outer Worlds from Obisidian, not Outer Wilds from Mobius Digital.

15 minutes ago, Derangel said:

" Posted: 05/10/2019 "

You're thinking of Outer Worlds from Obisidian, not Outer Wilds from Mobius Digital.

Actually to be fair this was at least rumoured or something a little while ago, specifically the crowdfunded outer WILDS.

Edit: Looks like it was part of the EGS launch trailer at minimum, I know I saw a news post with speculation but I can only find the recent ones now https://www.tomshardware.com/news/epic-games-store-current-upcoming-free-titles,38217.html

53 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Only if features keep on getting added while the game is still being made.

This is a dick move altogether. Basically, the community backed the game to come on Steam, and that is why the game will even exist, just for publisher/devs to say no, we're coming to Steam. If it weren't for backers, the game would've been dead. By the majority reactions of people they wouldn't have pledged to the game if they knew they'd have to wait months due to exclusivity.

we’ve welcomed helpful partnerships with Annapurna Interactive, XBox, and Epic to support us

It wasn't them who supported you. 

Even worse, it's not even coming to Linux and Mac due to exclusivity. They aren't even gonna give Steam keys to backers like Phoenix Point did. 

And this comment:

Rest assured that we read all of your comments and our goal is to bring the game to your preferred platform as quickly as possible.

What a bunch of crap. It'll come when the exclusivity is over. They haven't read a single comment.

By the other majority of reactions, I don't think this publisher will be ever be able to fund a new game via crowdfunding. 

This is just not the first crowdfunded game that did this, I expect crowdfunding to drop a lot if this trend continues. Companies should guarantee or be obliged by a contract to fulfill all of their crowdfunding promises. 

2 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

I clicked on this thread going, "isn't it already an EGS exclusive?". I think they might have a naming issue.

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

This is a dick move altogether. Basically, the community backed the game to come on Steam, and that is why the game will even exist, just for publisher/devs to say no, we're coming to Steam. If it weren't for backers, the game would've been dead. By the majority reactions of people they wouldn't have pledged to the game if they knew they'd have to wait months due to exclusivity.

It wasn't them who supported you. 

Even worse, it's not even coming to Linux and Mac due to exclusivity. They aren't even gonna give Steam keys to backers like Phoenix Point did. 

And this comment:

What a bunch of crap. It'll come when the exclusivity is over. They haven't read a single comment.

By the other majority of reactions, I don't think this publisher will be ever be able to fund a new game via crowdfunding. 

This is just not the first crowdfunded game that did this, I expect crowdfunding to drop a lot if this trend continues. Companies should guarantee or be obliged by a contract to fulfill all of their crowdfunding promises. 

I was gonna say wasn't what they pulled illegal? I'm fairly sure that's illegal under EU laws if not also American laws because that is straight up false advertising in my opinion.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I was gonna say wasn't what they pulled illegal? I'm fairly sure that's illegal under EU laws if not also American laws because that is straight up false advertising in my opinion.

this is not the first case, either someone doesn't feel like starting the whole law mass or it isn't. I do suspect it is due to same reasons that you mention but honestly I am not sure. 

Its still on PC, the launcher doesn't matter much, and considering it is a timed exclusive, it will still be on steam.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Its not false advertising if what they were advertising was true at the time it was being advertised. Its a dick move, but it does not appear to be illegal.

Really sad how Linux players now have to miss out on a native version. Because the Epic Store does not support Linux and the Dev is not allowed to work with a Store which does in order to reach that market.

It's a good example of how toxic it is for the industry when devs start signing away their freedoms in exclusivity contracts.

Well thanks for beta testing.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

This is the future you guys asked for. Take it or leave it.

i_never_asked_for_this.jpg