Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Currently Have a 6800k - Options?

I currently have this CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/94189/intel-core-i7-6800k-processor-15m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz.html 

In a Asus X99 Deluxe II(LGA 2011-v3): https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-DELUXE-II/

Over the years I've been doing less and less gaming with more and more workstation, VM, CPU intensive work.  One of the main issues I've run into is the lack of PCI-E lanes the CPU supports. My current CPU only runs 28 lanes and with all my additional addon drives and cards in the machine my GPU is running at half the bus speed (8x PCI-E instead of 16x). These Xeons are cheap to get used, have more cores, sometimes similar clock speeds but support 40 lanes.

I know theres a few different options in terms of getting more cores for this generation of processor, but something I'd be considering looking into is just throwing a Xeon in there. 

There are a few things I currently do not know is my issue: 

1 - Can I correctly run a Xeon on a consumer grade board? (I imagine I can since they're the same socket? But again I don't know thats why Im here haha)

2 - I've found chips like this that are far cheaper but older in terms of age, but still provide a good clock speed and more cores: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-E5-2687W-V2-SR19V-3-40GHz-CPU-Certified-Genuine/153411148846 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/76161/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2687w-v2-25m-cache-3-40-ghz.html

3 - Is there anything else I should know before committing to this? 

I am no expert, but wouldn't you need a server board to get more PCIE lanes like you want?

Because in my mind atleast the consumer boards only have as many lanes as they need, so why would a motherboard for a 28 lane processor have 40 lanes?

Turns out your motherboard has support for both options:

Spoiler

image.png.76201f95b11f41372b0dede90b915491.png

Also while they might be the same socket, intel has done lots of weird things, for example the i7 6700, i7 7700, i7 8700 and i7 9700 are all in the same socket, but they aren't cross compatible in different motherboards, because while the same amount of pins, some pins are used differently.

So be sure to do lots of research to make sure that the motherboard actually supports that cpu!

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

I am no expert, but wouldn't you need a server board to get more PCIE lanes like you want?

Because in my mind atleast the consumer boards only have as many lanes as they need, so why would a motherboard for a 28 lane processor have 40 lanes?

Also while they might be the same socket, intel has done lots of weird things, for example the i7 6700, i7 7700, i7 8700 and i7 9700 are all in the same socket, but they aren't cross compatible in different motherboards, because while the same amount of pins, some pins are used differently.

So be sure to do lots of research to make sure that the motherboard actually supports that cpu!

Well the higher end i7 CPU's of that generation (Like the 6850k which is the tier higher than my current CPU supports a full 40 lanes, both of the CPU's are almost the same in terms of cores and clock speed, but the major difference is the amount of lanes that CPU can support and because of that they priced that CPU at a few hundred dollars higher).

So If I can I'd rather just get a Xeon which can do all that but with more cores and a cheaper price haha 

Just now, G3nnaro said:

Well the higher end i7 CPU's of that generation (Like the 6850k which is the tier higher than my current CPU supports a full 40 lanes, both of the CPU's are almost the same in terms of cores and clock speed, but the major difference is the amount of lanes that CPU can support and because of that they priced that CPU at a few hundred dollars higher).

So If I can I'd rather just get a Xeon which can do all that but with more cores and a cheaper price haha 

Yeah i already edited my post, make sure to click f5 to see it.

But yeah afaik the 2011-v3 actually supports some xeons:

The X99 chipset supports both Intel Core i7 Extreme and Intel Xeon E5-16xx v3 and E5-26xx v3 processors