Discord Bot JS or PY

Go to solution Solved by Loopios7,
13 hours ago, De-Wohli said:

Just to give my experience. 

I've written a rather simple bot with discord.py rewrite branch as someone who had no Python knowledge at all before I started. If you have any Programming experience at all it's really easy to get in and I personally found the discord.py framework more "easy to work with" than the JS alternative although I really dislike JS in general, that may be the reason. If you want some Examples for the python version I can happily provide you a link to my GitHub repository as a first glance option if that's that would help you.

Thanks for the insight.

I started with Discord.js yesterday and currently getting into it.

Hello All

I wanted to start programming a bot for Discord and want to host it on a RaspberryPi but am undescided between using the .py or .js library.

Thanks for Suggestions about which one I should use.

~Loop

Programming languages I already know are C#, PHP

c# has a library for discord. 

I wrote a bot using that once. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

c# has a library for discord. 

I wrote a bot using that once. 

I started using it once too but it's not as complete and supported like JS or PY from what I found.

Just now, Loopios7 said:

I started using it once too but it's not as complete and supported like JS or PY from what I found.

Python is easy to learn but I think the original library was made with JavaScript. 

Just now, fpo said:

Python is easy to learn but I think the original library was made with JavaScript. 

would make sense as Discord is made with JS. So I should rather use JS then?

1 minute ago, Loopios7 said:

would make sense as Discord is made with JS. So I should rather use JS then?

I’d think so. Either C# since you know it or JavaScript since it’s the original not wrapped language. 

Youll need to use somethibg called node js btw. Any intro to discord bots JavaScript YouTube tutorial should explain it & setup. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

I’d think so. Either C# since you know it or JavaScript since it’s the original not wrapped language. 

Youll need to use somethibg called node js btw. Any intro to discord bots JavaScript YouTube tutorial should explain it & setup. 

Ok, thanks for the advice. I already have NodeJS as I've started with Angular.

just a quick note, just because discord is written in JS doesn't mean the JS library is any more or less valid than the python library.  The actual discord bot API is a REST api, so any framework on top of that is a technically just an API wrapper library, including the JS one. It's not more native to discord for bot making than python is, since they are all just fancy delegates to network requests to the REST api.

I would say discord.js has more users, and it seems to be the most popular discord bot lib out there at the moment, but discord.py is also perfectly viable.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

I've written a rather simple bot with discord.py rewrite branch as someone who had no Python knowledge at all before I started. If you have any Programming experience at all it's really easy to get in and I personally found the discord.py framework more "easy to work with" than the JS alternative although I really dislike JS in general, that may be the reason. If you want some Examples for the python version I can happily provide you a link to my GitHub repository as a first glance option if that's that would help you.

13 hours ago, De-Wohli said:

I've written a rather simple bot with discord.py rewrite branch as someone who had no Python knowledge at all before I started. If you have any Programming experience at all it's really easy to get in and I personally found the discord.py framework more "easy to work with" than the JS alternative although I really dislike JS in general, that may be the reason. If you want some Examples for the python version I can happily provide you a link to my GitHub repository as a first glance option if that's that would help you.

Thanks for the insight.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2019 at 3:11 PM, Loopios7 said:

Thanks for the insight.

3 people decided to help you out by sharing their experience and in the end, you decide to give the "Best Answer" to yourself? Like are you serious right now, mate?