Completed Java class what to do now

LeapFrogMasterRace

I completed an intro to Java class at college two semesters ago (haven't practiced it since then), I learned a decent amount of the basics but don't really remember lots of the syntax and I found things like creating methods and complex loops hard. I think for now I want to learn game programming for phone applications. Should I just dive into mobile app development and follow guides until I actually take the class as part of my degree or brush up on my Java basics until then? I would rather just jump in to app development because it seems more fun and rewarding. I feel like either way I need to be constantly programming so I don't fall behind when I take the next level of classes like C++, Java Object Oriented programming etc.

make the most cancer mod you can think of in minecraft, when i was like 14 i took a java class and afterward i made tons of questionable mods to master it.... then i stopped and 2 years passed now i dont know a single thing about it haha

2 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

make the most cancer mod you can think of in minecraft, when i was like 14 i took a java class and afterward i made tons of questionable mods to master it.... then i stopped and 2 years passed now i dont know a single thing about it haha

Haha yeah definitely doesn't seem like riding a bike once you stop doing it you forget it... even more than an actual language like Spanish. Guess I need to try and make it fun.

1 minute ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Haha yeah definitely doesn't seem like riding a bike once you stop doing it you forget it... even more than an actual language like Spanish. Guess I need to try and make it fun.

yeah my tip is if your gonna get into the programming industry than you gotta constantly practice that language because its hard to learn but easy to forget, tbh the app industry would seem like a good start, try and make small test apps and see if they run well after that then you can release them

1 hour ago, just that pc guy said:

yeah my tip is if your gonna get into the programming industry than you gotta constantly practice that language because its hard to learn but easy to forget

Once you get past a certain point, it's pretty easy to pick up and languages as needed. Most languages share the same core fundamental concepts and techniques, and you simply start picking up on them. Obviously to get "expert" status in a given language to learn all the nuances and framework stuff takes more effort, but programming in general isn't really a "use it or lose it" thing. The worst really is you just don't keep up with newer trends and find yourself playing technology catch up.

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

12 hours ago, just that pc guy said:

I’ve heard worse suggestions. 

This is actually a really good idea though. 

Yeah, go learn to code an Android app.

Android development is intermediate to advance java. You will be forced to use all the features of OOP as well as much of the commonly used java standard libraries. 

Android development is what truly allow me to understand and competently code in java. School doesn't taught me much other than confusing jargons no one really cares. I mean some questions on the exam of my java intro class literally reads what's the difference between method and functions? Define an object.

My answer to first, who cares?

My answer to next, it is a jargon and also who cares? 

Sudo make me a sandwich