Suggestions For Headphones For College

Mandrew

I am in need of a new pair of headphones for home and when I go to college in the fall, so I was wondering what would be the ideal setup for me. At home I have a regular desktop and at college I will be using a Dell XPS 15 9570. I will probably only be using them in my dorm while at college, and have a separate pair of earbuds or something from other times. I was wondering if having an amp will be a pain because I will be constantly be unplugging it and have extra wires on my desk, and if having a harder to power pair of headphones really makes that large of a difference when listening. Is there a good pair of Bluetooth headphones that would work? I will be using them to game, listen to music, and watch movies and YouTube videos. I was thinking about getting the 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s in conjunction with a Schiit Mangi, but I dont know if the semi-open backed design of the 880s would be optimal with a roommate. Budget is $300.

880 250ohm is pretty nice. It is listed as Semi-open but it is basically open back. And yeah probably not going to be the best thing if you have a roommate. I would take a look at the AKG K553 for a closed back. Easy enough to drive you should be ok off a laptop, but could be improved a bit if a DAC/Amp setup if you want to. FX Audio DACX6 would be fine for it.

2 hours ago, Mandrew said:

I am in need of a new pair of headphones for home and when I go to college in the fall, so I was wondering what would be the ideal setup for me. At home I have a regular desktop and at college I will be using a Dell XPS 15 9570. I will probably only be using them in my dorm while at college, and have a separate pair of earbuds or something from other times. I was wondering if having an amp will be a pain because I will be constantly be unplugging it and have extra wires on my desk, and if having a harder to power pair of headphones really makes that large of a difference when listening. Is there a good pair of Bluetooth headphones that would work? I will be using them to game, listen to music, and watch movies and YouTube videos. I was thinking about getting the 250 ohm Beyerdynamic DT880s in conjunction with a Schiit Mangi, but I dont know if the semi-open backed design of the 880s would be optimal with a roommate. Budget is $300.

I say grab meze 99 noir as they are really good for the price don't have don't need an amp dac to run. 

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

880 250ohm is pretty nice. It is listed as Semi-open but it is basically open back. And yeah probably not going to be the best thing if you have a roommate. I would take a look at the AKG K553 for a closed back. Easy enough to drive you should be ok off a laptop, but could be improved a bit if a DAC/Amp setup if you want to. FX Audio DACX6 would be fine for it.

k553's are awesome very well built and sound great too

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

I say grab meze 99 noir as they are really good for the price don't have don't need an amp dac to run. 

Sure if you want basically Beats LOL.

26 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Sure if you want basically Beats LOL.

what do you mean? the fact that they are bassy? they are just a great fun headphone. while I agree they kinda similar to beats unlike beats they have proper bass. not muddy. and beats nowadays kinda lack bass anyway. while they are warm of neutral not as much bass as you would think but they dont sound the price.  damn didn't notice that his budget was $300 and not $200 and the fact that he wanted more neutral headphones with the 880 and all so yeah the akg k553 is probably better. also the band o h6 are agreat option if he wants something more fun is the b and o h6

Just now, rice guru said:

what do you mean? the fact that they are bassy? they are just a great fun headphone. while I agree they kinda similar to beats unlike beats they have proper bass. not muddy. and beats nowadays kinda lack bass anyway. while they are warm of neutral not as much bass as you would think but they dont sound the price.  damn didn't notice that his budget was $300 and not $200 and the fact that he wanted more neutral headphones with the 880 and all so yeah the akg k553 is probably better. also the band o h6 are agreat option if he wants something more fun is the b and o h6

Oh they are pretty muddy. Bass is way to blaoted and bleeds way too much into the mids. They are super mainstream tuning and very much like a Beats tuning. Even the Massdrop page says they were not trying to be an audiophile headphone for details.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Oh they are pretty muddy. Bass is way to blaoted and bleeds way too much into the mids. They are super mainstream tuning and very much like a Beats tuning. Even the Massdrop page says they were not trying to be an audiophile headphone for details.

true from what I heard I really liked them. but then again I wasn't really looking for detail rather than just how much fun I was having. I prefer open backs but one of my favorite closed backs . only reccomended it becuase they are easy to drive and look great.I found rather than being muddy they just had a little too much mid bass kinda leaking into mids. doesn't really matter though when your just blasting your ears with denzel curry's black metal terrorist these are definitely not my favorite closed backs though for 200-300 that would go for the t60 tthose are just a bit too hard too drive for OP.

Between $100 - $150 options:

1. Shure SRH440 - $99

2. Shure SRH840 - $149

3. Samson z45 - $99

4. Samson z55 - $149

5. KRK KNS 6400 - $99

6. KRK KNS 8400 - $149

7. Audio Technica ATH M40x - $79-$99

8. AKG K240 - $69-$79

9. Beyerdynamic DT 240 Pro - $79-$99

10. Yamaha MT5 - $99

11. Audio Technica ATH M50x - $150

All of the options listed above feature a replaceable cable/cables & earpads.. Hope this list helps..

4 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

1. Shure SRH440 - $99

2. Shure SRH840 - $149

3. Samson z45 - $99

4. Samson z55 - $149

5. KRK KNS 6400 - $99

6. KRK KNS 8400 - $149

8. AKG K240 - $69-$79

10. Yamaha MT5 - $99

All of the options listed above feature a replaceable cable/cables & earpads.. Hope this list helps..

Those are all a nope.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Those are all a nope.

They are just suggestions.. the person does not have to actually buy them if they do not want to.. Your option that you listed (Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm) might be good, but longevity wise can't compete with the options i said.. 

6 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

They are just suggestions.. the person does not have to actually buy them if they do not want to.. Your option that you listed (Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm) might be good, but longevity wise can't compete with the options i said.. 

In what way? Also OP has a $300 budget. All of those options are just kinda bad to good. Also missing some crucial options for that price point to like the takstar pro 82 or shp9500s pretty much beat everything on that list.

12 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Your option that you listed (Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm) might be good,

Also he listed akg k 553 which has anything you listed beat by a huge margin

10 minutes ago, rice guru said:

In what way? Also OP has a $300 budget. All of those options are just kinda bad to good. Also missing some crucial options for that price point to like the takstar pro 82 or shp9500s pretty much beat everything on that list.

Everyone has different sound preferences. He might think the shp9500s or takstar pro 82 suck.. He should not trust one persons opinion.. He should try before buying if possible for those headphones..

I was just listing some other options that he might want to buy and save some cash for other things..

12 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Also he listed akg k 553 which has anything you listed beat by a huge margin

You say my options are beat by the akg k553 by a huge margin.. according to what? You? After all what the OP thinks sound good and what you think sound good might differ completely..

Just now, zrmaxwell said:

Everyone has different sound preferences. He might think the shp9500s or takstar pro 82 suck.. He should not trust one persons opinion.. He should try before buying if possible for those heaphones..

I was just listing some other options that he might want to buy and save some cash for other things..

sure you could say that. all im saying is your missing some crucial options on that list because. that list isn't half bad. I owuld just personally get rid of the m50x and and takstar pro 82 and shp 9500s on that list. cant speak much for the krk's never heard them before.

8 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

You say my options are beat by the akg k553 by a huge margin.. according to what? You? After all what the OP thinks sound good and what you think sound good might differ completely..

yes sure. not gonna argue taht at all. personally I just think the akg k553 sounds better by a huge margin in terms of fidelity, sound siganture and build quality vs the m50x. but I am one of  those people that like having sound stage, separation and imaging in my music.

51 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

1. Shure SRH440 - $99

2. Shure SRH840 - $149

3. Samson z45 - $99

4. Samson z55 - $149

5. KRK KNS 6400 - $99

6. KRK KNS 8400 - $149

8. AKG K240 - $69-$79

10. Yamaha MT5 - $99

Ok replace the m50x with the AKG K553 MKII because of the better build, comfort and sound.. They cost $199..

Add AKG K240 MKII at $149 and the Sennheiser hd 600 at $299 (when ordered from sweetwater.com)

Add Pioneer HDJ X10 at $299 if you like dj style headphones with a durable build and a bass heavy sound signature.

Any more suggestions just ask..

12 minutes ago, zrmaxwell said:

Ok replace the m50x with the AKG K553 MKII because of the better build, comfort and sound.. They cost $199..

Add AKG K240 MKII at $149 and the Sennheiser hd 600 at $299 (when ordered from sweetwater.com)

Add Pioneer HDJ X10 at $299 if you like dj style headphones with a durable build and a bass heavy sound signature.

Any more suggestions just ask..

well at that point might as well add the he 4xx, hd 58x, and hd 6xx if we are going beyond $150