Ice Road Trucker Sim 2019 - Alaska to join US broadband with 100 Terabit fiber backbone

rcmaehl

Source:
The Verge

Summary:
Alaska is finally stepping away from crappy satellite internet and into the modern age with an 100 Terabit Fiber backbone

Quotes/Excerpts:

Republican FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr got an “earful” from remote Alaskan residents who were concerned with how poor their access to the internet is. Alaska has, on average, some of the slowest internet connections in the country, primarily due to its distance from the rest of the...United States. MTA Fiber Holdings announced today that it would build the “first and only all-terrestrial” fiber optic network running from Alaska and into the Lower 48. The line will begin in North Pole, Alaska and will travel through Canada, connecting with Canadian carriers, where it will finally connect with “any major hub” in the US. Only internet traffic that both originates and terminates in the US will be carried over the network. This new fiber optic network will have the initial capacity to deliver 100 terabits per second. MTA said this delivery rate will be able to increase in the future. Burke said that construction has already begun and the network is expected to be completed sometime next year. “This will be a major win for the people who live, play and work in Alaska, supporting business, job growth, and ultimately, the state’s economy.”

My Thoughts:
What!? How can you do this? This is outrageous! It's unfair! How am I supposed to compete with players who can almost limitless-ly OC their PC as their Ambient temps are subzero!? Regardless, it's glad to see Americans are getting the broadband speeds they deserve. I wonder what they'll do first on their new super fast internet speeds?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I think they're not going to be happy when they see the cost

100 terabits p/s sounds like its going to require a trip to the black market to sell a desirable organ 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

So on average the speed that each person gets is 135Mbps (100000000 Mbps/population of Alaska), not too bad.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Meanwhile I’m one of 4000 households in the whole of NZ without fiber. 

In recent news can’t get 4G house internet either from my company, even though I literally live next to the tower.

There's two problems that people are conflating:

- Bulk bandwidth to Alaska

- Actual last mile transport.

There's already existing lines from Seattle to Anchorage undersea, while the new cable along the Alcan would be very good for redundancy and earthquake proofing internet access, unless if the existing lines are clogged (or really expensive) it doesn't change the last mile problem

If you want to OC your PC without issues, watercool and use more radiator space than you need.

I don't care what physics bullshit anyone wants to throw my way, I'm running a single 1080ti at 2.0Ghz and a 7700k (factory turbo, factory chewing gum internal thermal paste on the CPU) on a water cooling loop with a 480mm and 120mm, extra thicc radiators.

My GPU rarely gets much more than 10 degrees above ambient, running games at 4k 60hz, maximum settings.

(Side note, drove for 11 hours through the rain today, am drunk and a little loopy right now).

Good for Alaska. Now if only someone could egg or punch Ajit Pai in the face, maybe we can get them to realize that Net Neutrality is kind of needed, and that by doing nothing, the FCC is in fact limiting the US internet infrastructure and in all likelihood, causing harm to our economy as a result.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs