Family of man killed by his Model X on autopilot sues Tesla

kuhnertdm

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/01/tesla-sued-in-wrongful-death-lawsuit-that-alleges-autopilot-caused-crash/

Story: Apple engineer Walter Huang was killed after his Tesla Model X accelerated into and crashed into a highway median, and now his family is suing Tesla for a variety of allegations including "product liability, defective product design, failure to warn, breach of warranty, intentional and negligent misrepresentation and false advertising". They are also naming the California DoT in the suit, as they failed to replace a crash attenuator guard on the median after a previous crash there, which contributed to the damage on this crash.

After news of the crash surfaced back in March of 2018, Tesla was quick to release a public statement blaming Huang for the crash. They were a party to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation of the crash, and released a report of the incident without approval from the NTSB. This led to the NTSB voicing public disapproval of Tesla's actions, resulting in Musk attacking the safety board on Twitter. Subsequently, Tesla stated publicly that they withdrew from being a party in the investigation, but the NTSB later released a statement that this was not true, and they were actually removed from the investigation by the NTSB following their premature release of the report, in an effort to blame Huang.

The report released by Tesla indicates a few things about the crash. First, the incident occurred in literal broad daylight (used by Tesla as evidence that Huang was not paying attention, but could also be used as evidence that even in ideal conditions, autopilot is dangerous). Secondly, Tesla brought attention to the fact that the vehicle displayed multiple warnings for Huang having his hands off of the wheel for too long. The report shows that every one of these warnings happened more than 15 minutes before the crash. It also shows that Huang's hands were not detected as "on the wheel" for 34 of the 60 seconds before impact, and that there was no manual action taken to avoid the crash.

Opinion: It seems that the suit (if not settled, which I hope it won't be) is very quickly going to shift its focus to Tesla's advertising of autopilot functionality in its cars. Tesla's defense here is almost guaranteed to be "If you don't have perfect attention to the road and have your hands on the wheel at all times (Note: Defeating the purpose of autopilot), then we're not responsible if autopilot kills you". Hopefully this can be the case to shut that argument down, as Tesla's advertising thoroughly touts this as something that handles steering/braking/acceleration/etc for you, even down to the literal name of "autopilot" for a system that cannot be trusted to pilot you automatically, without killing you. I think the family's lawyer had the key line here: "Mrs. Huang lost her husband, and two children lost their father because Tesla is beta testing its Autopilot software on live drivers."

I'm so not into auto-driving cars... I enjoy driving myself and say w/e you want we're still at very least a hundred years away from the "machines will be safer than humans on the wheel" thingy.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I'm so not into auto-driving cars... I enjoy driving myself and say w/e you want we're still at very least a hundred years away from the "machines will be safer than humans on the wheel" thingy.

Also, it'd have to be either all autopiloted cars or none. Otherwise the autopiloted cars won't be able to predict other humans that well. It'd be way safer if all cars were autopiloted.

Tesla keeps having to remind people that their autopilot is just really good cruise control, and that you still are the driver. Increasing the warnings, reminders, and signals to continue paying attention to the road every time one of these accidents happen, and they still happen. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, kuhnertdm said:

The report released by Tesla indicates a few things about the crash. First, the incident occurred in literal broad daylight (used by Tesla as evidence that Huang was not paying attention, but could also be used as evidence that even in ideal conditions, autopilot is dangerous). Secondly, Tesla brought attention to the fact that the vehicle displayed multiple warnings for Huang having his hands off of the wheel for too long. The report shows that every one of these warnings happened more than 15 minutes before the crash. It also shows that Huang's hands were not detected as "on the wheel" for 34 of the 60 seconds before impact, and that there was no manual action taken to avoid the crash.

If this is all true, in my mind this clears Tesla of most charges. The only way I can see this being Tesla's fault is if the autopilot CAUSED the crash, as most of the material I've seen on these cars says "driver participation is still needed" we're not yet at the point where we can tune out for half an hour. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, Sychic said:

Look Ma, No hands!

*Laughs, then facepalms*

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 minutes ago, kuhnertdm said:

It also shows that Huang's hands were not detected as "on the wheel" for 34 of the 60 seconds before impact, and that there was no manual action taken to avoid the crash.

That alone is enough for the blame to be Huang's (in my opinion). When you get behind the wheel, you should be paying attention to what is going on around you, doesn't matter if you're in control or not. 

If he was paying attention, then he would have noticed that his car was driving towards a static object and taken appropriate action, but he didn't!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I feel that its more 10-20 years away, not 100.

5 minutes ago, kuhnertdm said:

STUFF

Opinion: It seems that the suit (if not settled, which I hope it won't be) is very quickly going to shift its focus to Tesla's advertising of autopilot functionality in its cars. Tesla's defense here is almost guaranteed to be "If you don't have perfect attention to the road and have your hands on the wheel at all times (Note: Defeating the purpose of autopilot), then we're not responsible if autopilot kills you". Hopefully this can be the case to shut that argument down, as Tesla's advertising thoroughly touts this as something that handles steering/braking/acceleration/etc for you, even down to the literal name of "autopilot" for a system that cannot be trusted to pilot you automatically, without killing you. I think the family's lawyer had the key line here: "Mrs. Huang lost her husband, and two children lost their father because Tesla is beta testing its Autopilot software on live drivers."

They system was never shown or stated to be a driver replacement, but a way for the driver to not have to drive for 90% of the trip, but to MANAGE the driving operation for that 90%. It shouldn't be hard to stay attentive while in a car, I always naturally do that as a driver or passenger. The systems warns people that appear to be distracted and warns that they must remain responsible for the safety of the car.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

It shouldn't be hard to stay attentive while in a car, I always naturally do that as a driver or passenger.

I pay more attention to the road than the driver when I'm a passenger because I don't trust other people's ability to drive

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, TacoSenpai said:

Its happening Skynet is taking over. 

More like skynet has been sending warning messages for a while saying it is going to obliterate the world, but the IT desk is busy catching up on Game of Thrones instead of reading the alert mails. 

1 minute ago, FlappyBoobs said:

More like skynet has been sending warning messages for a while saying it is going to obliterate the world, but the IT desk is busy catching up on Game of Thrones instead of reading the alert mails. 

That's a tomorrow you's problem!

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

1 minute ago, yolosnail said:

That's a tomorrow you's problem!

Spoiler

Image result for i'm in danger meme

Autopilot is, at best, a Level 2 automous driving technology. That means the vehicle is capable of operating on its own under specific conditions but is not sophisticated/redundant enough to be able to completely take over under certain circumstances, requiring manual driver intervention. 

I don't really find fault with the Autopilot system itself as it works as would expected as a driver assistance system . What I'm questioning is Tesla's marketing and strategy for the system. Not too long ago, there was a firmware update that somehow undid the fix applied to the Autopilot software after this crash that would make the system less likely to turn towards dividers in dividing lanes. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I don't understand the logic behind auto pilots. They say it's almost magical and can drive you pretty much all by itself. But they in the same breath say "but yeah, you need to be attentive and observing the road". Then what's the fucking point? I never had an issue with brake assist, lane assist, distance assist, speed limiter and stuff like that. Because all that is ON TOP of you PRIMARILY being fully engaged into driving and these features save your bacon when despite actively participating in driving you miss something.

Here, they don't seem to be exactly sure what they are selling us. And they can stick their auto driving taxis where sun doesn't shine. This shit is happening when it's expected from driver to be fully engaged in driving and they expect us to sit in the back of the car and be "relaxed". Yeah, good luck with that. Road traffic just has WAY too many variables. Computerized trains, subways and shit, sure, it's literally one way of driving it. Not so much with cars. It's interesting watching car drive all by itself. While not being in that car.

1 hour ago, kuhnertdm said:

Autopilot ≠ self-driving AI

Autopilot is everywhere something that requires human monitoring and management while performing its task. Planes today mostly fly the whole trip and even handle take-offs and landings with autopilot but it still needs pilots and co-pilots full attention because there's many factors that can change the situation to one where autopilot would make mistakes or couldn't work at all meaning the crew needs to be all the time ready to take the controls. Ships sail today with autopilots but there's still at least 1 to 3 crew members in the cockpit all the time monitoring radar, radio communication and being ready to take the wheel from the autopilot if there's any reason to do so. Why car autopilot would need to be any different?

Quite literally word "autopilot" means that the vehicle will stear, break and accelerate by it's own under human supervision and readiness to take the controls.

Bullshit, you're just calling it tomato with a different accent. AutoPilot means self driving. Otherwise they would call it "drive assist".

Why are there cars with auto-pilot to begin with? Won't that cause the planet to have too much cars to increase deaths in traffic?

Or does Tesla simply care more about the money than the well-being of their customers?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, kuhnertdm said:

Tesla's defense here is almost guaranteed to be "If you don't have perfect attention to the road and have your hands on the wheel at all times (Note: Defeating the purpose of autopilot), then we're not responsible if autopilot kills you".

It's also worth noting that even if you are 100% focused on the road you may not be able to prevent an accident caused by the autopilot. Suppose the car is driving at 130km/h on a highway - if it suddenly swerved into the barrier or into another car the human driver wouldn't have the time to react appropriately.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

Won't that cause the planet to have too much cars

What? Why?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What? Why?

Cars with auto-pilot are easily attractive to lazy "drivers".

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just now, Sauron said:

It's also worth noting that even if you are 100% focused on the road you may not be able to prevent an accident caused by the autopilot. Suppose the car is driving at 130km/h on a highway - if it suddenly swerved into the barrier or into another car the human driver wouldn't have the time to react appropriately.

Except if you have your hands on the wheel and pay attention, like you are supposed to, if the car suddenly turns the wheel, the pressure of your hands staying still is enough to disengage the AutoPilot system and for you to take control. The whole point of keeping your hands on the wheel is for you to basically drive the car with no effort. In an ideal world, the steering wheel should be turning exactly when you would have done it yourself, hence why if you put any force onto the wheel that it's not expecting, it cancels AutoPilot and expects you to take over

Laptop:

Spoiler

PC:

Spoiler

Mac:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue