The best non-gaming-Laptop!!! Your opinion

Hey guys,

I wanna give my 8years old core i7 Sony-Vaio Laptop the rest it needs. It was a great machine untill it had developed an issue with graphic card und since then it is unbelievably loud even with me cleaning its Fan's outlet every since and then. I still like it but it is really slow and I need a new one.

I'm not a gamer or an editor but I don't like chageng but what I reeally like ist buying something good that could funktional for a long time.

I think a Surface laptop could be my next Laptop, but I'm not sure if I should wait untill the next generation comes cus of the actual ports: no thunderbolt.... or schould I buy a razer?? 

What do you think guys?? I really need your help cus the range of devices is enormous 

thanks for helping anyways

Hazem 

thanx for the reply,, but do u have some kind of experience with it, or do u possess a one

If you don't game or edit, that 8 year old vaio still be good.

Just add SSD and more ram, it will be as good as today's laptop.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you don't game or edit, that 8 year old vaio still be good.

Just add SSD and more ram, it will be as good as today's laptop.

but it has a serious thermal issues and the graphic card is done I think, do u think that upgrading would solve all issues? thank u 

Thermal issues can be fixed, you can clean up the heatsink and reapply thermal paste.

For the GPU, you can switch to intel integrated gpu and disable the other completely.

But if too much of a hassle, any new laptop under $500 will be a good choice.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, Hazem Sood said:

but it has a serious thermal issues and the graphic card is done I think, do u think that upgrading would solve all issues? thank u 

Well, considering how cheap thermal paste and pads are compared to a new laptop, I would say that it may be worth a try to open it, clean the internals (fan and heatsink) well, and put new thermal paste and pad where applicable.

Sadly, a premium laptop is costly. You are limited in your options in the mid range laptop offering.

The Surface is a good choice, depending which model we are talking about. However, I would wait for Intel 10nm CPUs coming at the end of the year. I don't know if thunderbold will be coming on the Surface. Realistically, it only serves 1 purpose: external GPUs. And considering how super costly just the enclosure is for one of these (mind you they have drop in price in the recent year, but still too expensive), not to mention the drop in performance, it is just simpluy not worth it.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

Thermal issues can be fixed, you can clean up the heatsink and reapply thermal paste.

For the GPU, you can switch to intel integrated gpu and disable the other completely.

But if too much of a hassle, any new laptop under $500 will be a good choice.

nice ideas, and what do think should i buy?

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Well, considering how cheap thermal paste and pads are compared to a new laptop, I would say that it may be worth a try to open it, clean the internals (fan and heatsink) well, and put new thermal paste and pad where applicable.

hi 2 u 2, i have to do that every 4 weeks or so, if I wait a little bit longer it coverts itself to a look a like train-loud machine. It may shut completety down.

Depends on the budget.

For under 500, checkout HP 14 with Ryzen 2200u.

For 600-800, you can get a Intel 8250u or Ryzen 2500u.

HP x360 or Dell inspiron.

I would not get HP. Even premium ones. Unless you plan to exclusively use a mouse.

For soe reason HP loves to use the cheapest trackpad money can buy. And they also loves to jam pack their system with the latest blotware from bloatware.com

Should I send it to linus as projekt-object to see what the guys can do with my old friend?

Just now, Hazem Sood said:

hi 2 u 2, i have to do that every 4 weeks or so, if I wait a little bit longer it coverts itself to a look a like train-loud machine. It may shut completety down.

the heatsinks and fans can be easily replaced if you want to.

won't take more than $50 to replace.

it will be good as new.

unless you're really sure that laptop has been internally damaged, it's a shame to dump it.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

I would not get HP. Even premium ones. Unless yuo pln to exclusively use a mouse.

For soe reason HP loves to use the cheapest trackpad money can buy. And they also loves to jam pack their system with the latest blotware from bloatware.com

good to know, what do think about Asus 

1 minute ago, Hazem Sood said:

Should I send it to linus as projekt-object to see what the guys can do with my old friend?

Ignoring the fact that I have no idea if they'll take it, shipping cost will probably cost you more than 2 laptops.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

the heatsinks and fans can be easily replaced if you want to.

won't take more than $50 to replace.

it will be good as new.

unless you're really sure that laptop has been internally damaged, it's a shame to dump it.

it is really hard to dump it.

i try to test it sometimes, so i turn on a game such as tankers on it, it shuts dows after 5 min even after cleaning it. doesn't it refer to Hardware issue?

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ignoring the fact that I have no idea if they'll take it, shipping cost will probably cost you more than 2 laptops.

fair point 

9 minutes ago, Hazem Sood said:

good to know, what do think about Asus 

I can only speak for ASUS North America, but it is the type of place you call for support or warranty replacement, and all you get is a message box full answering machine message. I am exagerating, but their RMA service, based on my experience many years ago, is awful at its best, only to get somone else device that they didn't bother removing the dust (and have other issues). The negative experience that I had still impacts me today.

And they are OK systems. I let reviewer talk, but in general they have ok keyboard, and ok built quality and just ok everything.

If you want quality service, Dell with Dell's next buisness day on site service (you have to see if iti is avil in your region). A pay a little more for it, but you have a Dell certified trained technian that comes at your place, at the time you want (beeing resonable. He/She won't show up at 3am) starting the next buisness day from your call, with parts, to replace, in front of you, and you get to make sure that the workmenship is done right, and that your proble is fixed. You can't have less downtime then this.

Don't get a razer blade, they're not that great (I know people with them + watching reviews).  I think battery life + performance is the most important thing for a laptop where gaming performance doesn't matter, so look for those key things.

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I can only speak for ASUS North America, but it is the type of place you call for support or warranty replacement, and all you get is a message box full answering machine. I am exagerating, but their RMA service, based on my experience many years ago, is awful at its best, only to get somone else device that they didn't bother removing the dust (and have other issues). The negative experience that I had still impacts me today.

And they are OK systems. I let reviewer talk, but in general they have oK keyboard, and ok built quality and just ok everything.

If you want quality service, Dell with Dell's next buisness day on site service (you have to see if iti is avil in your region). A pay a little more for it, but you have a Dell certified trained technian that comes at your place, at the time you want (beeing resonable. He/She won't show up at 3am) starting the next buisness day from your call, with parts, to replace, in front of you, and you get to make sure that the workmenship is done right, and that your proble is fixed. You can't have less downtime then this.

well this is pretty good, and what about this 2018/2019 with i7/i9 new GPUs transational time? is it rational to wait a little bit and then laTER in 2019 buy the machine?

6 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Don't get a razer blade, they're not that great (I know people with them + watching reviews).  I think battery life + performance is the most important thing for a laptop where gaming performance doesn't matter, so look for those key things.

very helpful 

Okay personally (May be a bit biased) but the Envy X360 i've been rocking for the past year and a half has been the most solid machine i've ever bought. That thing is a sheer beast. While some people definitely hate HP with a passion (for very good reasons mind you) the X360 is something else. This however only applies for the Ryzen mobile version of the X360. The Intel version is pretty underwhelming. Ryzen mobile is what completely redeems the X360 in both price and performance. I got mine at $579 however on Christmas Eve. As for the hardware the R5 2500U easily beats 2nd-4th gen i5's and some i7's (649 CB in R15). On top of that the Vega 8 IGPU is very strong for how low power it is. Ive used it as my primary gaming machine ever since I got it and it preforms wonderfully. I can get away with playing AAA games in 900p and lighter games easily at 1080p(GTA 5 runs at 900p 40-50 FPS). The only real downfall to the X360 would be the dim screen (Somewhere around 250 nits) and the lack of USB ports (2x USB 3 and 1 USB C). Also another gray area is USB C charging on the thing as its mentioned in HP's website but as far as I can tell its untested. Otherwise it uses the meh barrel style plug for charging. Overall I really love my X360 over the year and a half 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested!