How can I get a network card without making myself a victim of Chinese spyware?

john01dav

Hello,

I would like to add wifi support to my desktop computer running Linux via either USB3 or PCIe, but ideally the latter as I need to be able to make the best of a fairly weak signal. When I went to look for PCIe wifi cards, however, I found that all of them are made in China. As there is mounting evidence that they are using their position as a major electronics manufacturer to spy on people all over the world, this is not an acceptable trade off for my personal wifi card (link, also note the Huawai controversy). As such, I ask, how can I get a wifi card that both officially supports Linux with FOSS drivers (again, spyware is bad) and that I can be reasonably sure China didn't get its hands on?

I know that probably half the components in my computer, if not more, were made in China. For many things, however, this does not matter (ie. the PSU), and for others it matters less as those parts won't have such a perfect way to get data out.

Thank you

Put the tin foil hat down. There is still no evidence of huawei at all stealing your data nor of any main stream network cards sending back data. All it take is a single packet capture to prove otherwise yet still no evidence. 

Just look for Intel wireless cards, stop with the paranoia, it will eat you alive. 

56 minutes ago, john01dav said:

I can be reasonably sure China didn't get its hands on?

And do you think the US doesn't collect data? Stop being paranoid and getting fooled by the media.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 hour ago, john01dav said:

Hello,

I would like to add wifi support to my desktop computer running Linux via either USB3 or PCIe, but ideally the latter as I need to be able to make the best of a fairly weak signal. When I went to look for PCIe wifi cards, however, I found that all of them are made in China. As there is mounting evidence that they are using their position as a major electronics manufacturer to spy on people all over the world, this is not an acceptable trade off for my personal wifi card (link, also note the Huawai controversy). As such, I ask, how can I get a wifi card that both officially supports Linux with FOSS drivers (again, spyware is bad) and that I can be reasonably sure China didn't get its hands on?

I know that probably half the components in my computer, if not more, were made in China. For many things, however, this does not matter (ie. the PSU), and for others it matters less as those parts won't have such a perfect way to get data out.

Thank you

1) Intel makes some of the best wireless cards. 

2) You hate that China is spying on you but you do know that every major telecom in the US is linked in to the NSA right? Any way you look at it, your being spied on. So pull up your big boy pants and come to terms with it. 

Also there is nothing saying that a PCI express card will deal with a weak signal any better. If the signal is weak your just going to have a shitty experience as any. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.