Help with sending audio from speakers to amplifier

Arcanekitten
Go to solution Solved by Derkoli,
1 minute ago, Arcanekitten said:

Would a simple cable be sufficient? Or would this require an active adapter of some kind? 

No, rca is analogue, you would just need two of these: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1-Male-2-Male-Audio-Cable/dp/B01D5H8N8K/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?keywords=rca+splitter&qid=1556497587&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1

(the purple end goes into the turntable, then one of the other two ends goes into each preamp/phono preamp)

So i've got these Z323 from logitech which use a 3.5mm jack as output, however i've got a vinyl player hooked up to an amplifier, the Pioneer RX-Z71L to be precise. It's an old one but how would I go about hooking up my speakers which use 3.5mm to an amplifier which uses RCA/speakers wire?

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

44 minutes ago, Majestic said:

You want to hook up POWERED speakers to an amplifier? That's now how it works. Just hook up the speakers to the vinyl player directly?

That's only true for digital audio. If the record player doesn't have a pre amp built in, it will not be able to output enough voltage to allow the speakers to produce a meaningful amount of sound. 

As such, OP will need a phono pre amp, and probably an RCA to 3.5mm female adapter to plug into the speakers..

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 hour ago, Arcanekitten said:

So i've got these Z323 from logitech which use a 3.5mm jack as output, however i've got a vinyl player hooked up to an amplifier, the Pioneer RX-Z71L to be precise. It's an old one but how would I go about hooking up my speakers which use 3.5mm to an amplifier which uses RCA/speakers wire?

Like @KaminKevCrew said, you need a phono preamp and a 2x rca to 3.5mm adapter. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01D5H8KO2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=3.5mm+to+rca&qid=1556486581&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-Preamplifier-Black/dp/B000YEK1AQ/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=phono+preamp&qid=1556486593&s=gateway&sr=8-9

(make sure your turntable is moving magnet, if its moving coil you'll need a moving coil phono preamp.)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Even though the speakers are active? The problem currently that my amplifier has a pre amp build in so ideally I would connect the speakers through those aswell but since the speakers are active.

You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

2 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

Even though the speakers are active? The problem currently that my amplifier has a pre amp build in so ideally I would connect the speakers through those aswell but since the speakers are active.

Yeah the amp you're using doesnt have a pre-out, you can get phono preamps for pretty cheap tho.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

7 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Yeah the amp you're using doesnt have a pre-out, you can get phono preamps for pretty cheap tho.

Okay that would work. I've got one more question however, currently i've got 2 passive speakers connected to my pre-amp/amp stack with speaker wire. Those speakers are the current output of the amp stack on which the vinyl player is connected. It wouldn't be possible to merge the two passive speakers and my active Z323 speaker set so the vinyl would play on both? 

Or separate them at some point so the audio will play on both speakers setups.

Okay that would work. I've got one more question however, currently i've got 2 passive speakers connected to my pre-amp/amp stack with speaker wire. Those speakers are the current output of the amp stack on which the vinyl player is connected. It wouldn't be possible to merge the two passive speakers and my active Z323 speaker set so the vinyl would play on both? 

yes its possible. split the rca to the current amp/preamp and the phono preamp you're gonna have to get.

1 minute ago, Derkoli said:

yes its possibly. split the rca to the current amp/preamp and the phono preamp you're gonna have to get.

Would a simple cable be sufficient? Or would this require an active adapter of some kind? 

No, rca is analogue, you would just need two of these: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-1-Male-2-Male-Audio-Cable/dp/B01D5H8N8K/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?keywords=rca+splitter&qid=1556497587&s=gateway&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1

(the purple end goes into the turntable, then one of the other two ends goes into each preamp/phono preamp)