Macs are SLOWER than PCs. Here’s why.

nicklmg

You know what, these are facts. And I can't argue with facts. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

You guys should see my laptop, damn thing gets so hot it melted a bluetooth receiver inside the USB port

CPU hits 105C yet doesn't throttles or does nothing, it lacks any thermal protection, thing is literally a toaster

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

@aezakmi The thing is a mac book pro is 3000USD it shouldn't be held to the same standards as a 500 usd machine

i mean. at least we are getting 10nm in laptops at some point down the road. 

sadly not high performance laptop CPUs. and not for Desktop.

The Xeon W-2140B and W-2150B used in iMac Pro are both slower than their non-OEM counterparts, the W-2145 and W-2155, so some of their component choice might played a role here as well.

I also doubt if they had designed their cooling system to exactly fit the TDP guideline, which does not account for Turbo Boost state in which the processor would spend most of it time operating in. (Thermal Design Power represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements)

Also:

Let's explore why Apple computers run slow!

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Nah im good. My pc fucks up more often than my Mac does lol. 

Reliability and thermals are different things 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

About 2 years ago, everybody at the company where I work (web development) used macs. Now we are moving to PCs, because macs got much more expensive, the hardware got worse (that keyboard is garbage, the display is falling apart), but the worst is software. We moved to a Docker-based environment, and 5 year old Dell Latitudes from ebay (replacement/trainee/probation period machines), costing 300 EUR beat the fancy macs in our workflow with a very high margin (5-10x in certain cases). The newest version of the OS is garbage, everybody is complaining about it (I don't know the details, moved towards a Dell Precision Developer Edition).

Didn't mention the soldered SSDs, 0/10.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I think I have the answer regarding the apparent difference in focus on performance between Apple mobile devices and their computers. It's just an accident, you see. Apple went with a C-family language, Android went with Java. This is mainly due to generational differences. Apple had old-timers in their company with ties to Objective-C. Google had young hipster engineers that value high level languages. So to this day the performance advantage of ios vs android is just due to the language, and it's funny, because people have this idea that Apple is so good at optimizing or that they can optimize because they control the hardware etc. It's all nonsense, most likely they do very little optimization work because native code is so fast that they have a lot of room to screw up. It's all just the difference between native code and non-native code. Most likely, Google is doing way more work towards optimization than Apple. Any developer will know converting pieces of code from Java to C++ can sometimes make things orders of magnitude faster. I know there's a native SDK available for Android, but many applications don't use that, whereas in the ios world, almost everything is native.

Comments that most laptops and notebooks throttle, including windows PCs.... then goes on to explain what to expect when a laptop throttles pretending it's a uniquely apple problem... I guess with samsung getting all the flak recently they had to get their apple kicks in there to make sure everyone knew they were still anti-apple. If apple had made the same mistake samsung did.... then tried to cover it up, you can bet your ass linus would be reaming them out for it. But no, we get a what... 2-3 minute snippit on techlinked instead? Yeah... definitely not biased there....

All laptops are going to handle the exact same way when you put a 100% load on the cpu and GPU. It's going to throttle and slow down and become sluggish unless the thing is an inch thick with jet fans as a cooling device. 

Apple sells to its users. The very vast majority of which will never see a sustained 100% load on the CPU or GPU. Every mac I've used has ALWAYS felt snappy, regardless of what I was doing. Yet linus pretends that this is this massive problem that everybody is going to have because the "general" user is definitely going to have a 100% load on the CPU while web browsing. Sure... uh hu....

Go ahead and do the same tests with a pc laptop of the same specs and size. I dare ya.

Saying that apple is shit for designing their computers this way is like saying Toyoda is shit because their Camry can't reach... let alone sustain its top speed on the autobahn. If you would ever say that to any Toyoda engineer they'll instantly think you're an idiot and say "It's not designed to do that."

It's a tradeoff, and one that apple has made very well in my opinion. They trade lightness/thinness for sustained speed, knowing that the vast majority of their customers will never even throttle the computer at all. 

You could make the same criticism of car manufacturers who use the same engine in both their economy cars and their high performance cars. They downtune the hell out of the engine in the former, and push it to it's fullest potential in the latter. But no one criticizes VW for not milking every ounce out of their old VR6 engines in the jettas and passats compared to the Porsche cars the same engine was used in. Hell, most modern car companies use a weighted curve for their throttle pedal so that the car feels "snappy" when you push the pedal down just a little bit, when in reality if it were a linear response you'd be at 1/2 or 3/4 max throttle. It's quite literally the same as what we're talking about here. And no... one... cares.... Why? Because the vast majority of people with those cars will never care if there really isn't any more power to give after the first 1/4 of the pedal depression. 

What does all this mean? Apple does not make good computers for power users. Period. (Which IS it's ONE mistake.) Macs are NOT gaming machines. For the last time... However, they make WONDERFUL computers for the general public. Despite what most on this site would claim, they are essentially a general public computer user. 90% of the people here aren't power users, 90% of people here wouldn't know how to max out a cpu/gpu without running a benchmark. 

fffs, Apple products are SOMETIMES good for their price but the upgradeability and other stuff is just sad. My Mac Mini with 16GB of RAM can't run Chrome without kernel panics or crashes. Nor do I know how to use OS X. Also, Hardware choices? Don't get me started on that. My Mac Mini also melted my earbud cord...My friend has a similarly spec'd PC to my Mac Mini, and the PC is waaaaay faster.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Linus doesn't know why Apple prioritizes iPhones over Macs? Well, that's easy. They sell more iPhones than Macs.

30 minutes ago, Garandir said:

Apple went with a C-family language, Android went with Java.

As of Android 5, apps are compiled ahead-of-time to native code when they install. You don't need the native SDK anymore.

I don't think the 1200$ screen in the price comparison is a good fit. Of cause you are going to spend a lot of money if you buy a screen for professional work on images and videos but for most people buying those iMacs a decent ~200$ IPS screen is more than enough.

I mean most people who just need a machine for their daily work are forced to spend 1000$ for the intigrated perfect-ish screen withot the option for a regular one.

Edited by dasbene

are you actually kidding me?

apple fanboy mode activated

WHY DO YOU ACT LIKE THIS IS ONLY APPLE? YOU SHOWED A ZENBOOK THAT DID THE SAME THING IN THE VIDEO!!! MAKE ONE ABOUT ASUS!!!!

like seriously? why do you do this? and then say in the same f*cking video that people who buy/use Mac's only buy them for the status symbol and not because they want a well performing computer. seriously!!!

what I wanna know is is everyone at LMG ok with this? there must be at least one person who likes Mac's and macOS. is that person ok with this? 

another thing, what If I went on a person's member review of say an Asus ZenBook Pro and started saying like look it thermal throttles so it's slower than a thicker less nice looking laptop and will fail more quickly but you must only have bought it because you like the status symbol and not because you want a good performing long lasting computer and if you weren't so unintelligent you would have bought a "real" computer rather than the Zenbook. I would probably get at least a verbal warning and maybe even warning points. 

apple fanboy mode deactivated

I'm not done though. I would like to write a sort of open letter to anyone at LMG. 

why do you keep doing these video's? for views? money? satisfying the large portion of your audience who hate Apple more than anything else? it would really like an answer because as an Apple user I'm starting to get pretty pissed off. 

I would like LMG to do more to prevent unnecessary anti-apple content like this to keep apple users from feeling unwelcome here. because that's what I'm experiencing. I love this community but I'm starting to feel increasingly more unwelcome here because I use Apple products. 

and I'm by no means a hardcore fanboy. I absolutely understand the thermal issues. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and I run fan control software at all times to keep it's temps under control. so I absolutely get it, and if it's included in reviews of Apple products I completely understand. but a dedicated video for it is IMO stupid when PC laptop manufacturers do the same thing and you almost never mention that in video's and you absolutely don't call individual manufacturers out. 

so, as a summary I would really like to see LMG start caring less about views and care more for the Apple users in their community who feel increasingly unwelcome. 

signed,

firelighter487

She/Her

53 minutes ago, Garandir said:

I think I have the answer regarding the apparent difference in focus on performance between Apple mobile devices and their computers. It's just an accident, you see. Apple went with a C-family language, Android went with Java. This is mainly due to generational differences. Apple had old-timers in their company with ties to Objective-C. Google had young hipster engineers that value high level languages. So to this day the performance advantage of ios vs android is just due to the language

It's more like "They built an OS inside a virtual machine" but the ART today Java VM is a different thing from the past(Dalvik, the one before android 4), much comparable to native performance

There are also some other good vm-based OS like Inferno/Plan9

2 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Ehh... clickbait is back! I guess LTT couldn't survive long without it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

7 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so, as a summary I would telly like to see LMG start caring less about views and care more for the Apple users in their community who feel increasingly unwelcome. 

Don't put your self-worth into this.

9 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

another thing, what If I went on a person's member review of say an Asus ZenBook Pro and started saying like look it thermal throttles so it's slower than a thicker less nice looking laptop and will fail more quickly but you must only have bought it because you like the status symbol and not because you want a good performing long lasting computer and if you weren't so unintelligent you would have bought a "real" computer rather than the Zenbook. I would probably get at least a verbal warning and maybe even warning points. 

Red herring argument. 

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Don't put your self-worth into this.

what?

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Red herring argument. 

also what?

She/Her

39 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

so, as a summary I would really like to see LMG start caring less about views and care more for the Apple users in their community who feel increasingly unwelcome. 

So if someone hates apple, you feel unwelcome? Didn't he say he liked the 2019 imac?

well this is a PC forum, go to reddit.com/r/apple or whatever?

The main reasons me and some otheres dislike apple (not saying its useless, have an imac 2017, very sexy screen)

1: Upgradeablity.

2: Overpriced

3: Weird warranty practices

4: lying to customers (batterygate)

Their software is nice, unlike adobe is a one time buy w/ updates, I like iOS, and I like their free OS upgrades, but now MS allows that too...

4 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

can someone give me a TL:DR?

They are slower because they thermal throttle, the end.