How to remove a Dsub housing

Snifferdog3
Go to solution Solved by Snifferdog3,

Hey all, I got it out with some pliers and and flat head screwdriver, Ended up breaking one of the pins at the back anyway so I'll buy a new connecter. Thanks for the help!

Hey all. I have a LDFG steering wheel and recently the pedels have stopped working. So the wire seems to have been pulled out of the Dsub connector sometime and over the years has got worse and worse and now it's stopped working, so I was thinking maybe it needs resoldering, but I can't seem to find a way to open the Dsub connector? It's in a plastic housing and I'm not sure how to remove it. This is a wiring diagram of itScreenshot_20190427-174836.thumb.png.f08d20c0a9b3849f3114667837d8647e.png

any help would be appreciated.

Best bet would be to buy a new connector and find or make a diagram of the current pinout.  Most OEM d-sub 9 pins are potted, which makes them messy to deal with.

5 minutes ago, fargonaz said:

Best bet would be to buy a new connector and find or make a diagram of the current pinout.  Most OEM d-sub 9 pins are potted, which makes them messy to deal with.

Well pins 1 and 5 arnt actually there, there labeled (nothing) on the diagram, but there arnt any pins there on the actual thing, so there are 7 really, anyway yes might be better getting a new connector, still would like to just open the connector to see what the problem is, it isn't completely broken the wires as the brake and accelerator pedels go crazy in game, and when you move the wire it moves the brake and accelerator.

If there's no identifiable seam for you to pry apart, you'll have to take a knife and start hacking at the plastic/potting material until you get to the wires.   Been there done that.

Good Luck!

8 minutes ago, fargonaz said:

If there's no identifiable seam for you to pry apart, you'll have to take a knife and start hacking at the plastic/potting material until you get to the wires.   Been there done that.

Good Luck!

Well the plastic doesn't separate but the metal front looks like it will pull away, I'll have to try some pliers on it.

you could replace the whole connector, just remember where the wires go

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 hours ago, aezakmi said:

you could replace the whole connector, just remember where the wires go

Yes, that seems as if that might be the best option,I have a soldering kit but not a micro soldering kit, do I need a microsoldering kit for this? I'm not soldering pro so I don't know what I need for this job, but Im guessing just a normal soldering kit will do. also to replace the connector I still need to take the housing apart (unless I cut the wires). 

I'll try some pliers on it Tomorrow.

Ps: I have the wiring diagram for the exact steering wheel as stated in my original post.

Hey all, I got it out with some pliers and and flat head screwdriver, Ended up breaking one of the pins at the back anyway so I'll buy a new connecter. Thanks for the help!