Extremely low FPS on GTA V (lowest settings)

JaayOCE

When I redownloaded GTA V to play again, I have been getting low fps now, 40-60 FPS when I should get around 70-100

The graphic settings in this video has everything set to Lowest

Even if I have the graphics settings set to high, I get the same FPS

Don't say its my CPU because this has never happened before.

PC specs: 

Spoiler
  • CPU :: i5 6400 2.7-3.1 GHz
  • GPU :: GTX 1070
  • CPU cooler :: NZXT kraken x42
  • RAM :: 8GB HyperX FURY (2x4) 2133Mhz
  • MOBO :: Gigabyte B150 d3h

I have tried:

Spoiler
  • Restarting PC
  • Re-installing GTA V
  • Re-installing Windows 10
  • Re-installing GPU drivers

yes a repost with a vid, overclocked monitor to 65 (it can go to 75), ping is fine (40s)

-DDU and reinstall older 39x.xx driver

-Install Windows 7

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, quakeguy81 said:

The only thing that doesn't make any sense is your high CPU usage and low GPU usage, it's showing ~15% GPU usage in that video.  Can you record a video in story mode to compare?

yes i will get onto recording that soon but i will try DDU

8 minutes ago, quakeguy81 said:

your ping could affect your FPS

How exactly? Is this a GTA specific feature or something?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Trash beauty:

Xeon X5550RX 570 4GB (defective) -Fattydove Racing 240GB - WD Blue 320GBHP Z400 - 6x2GB DDR3 1066 - EVGA 450W3

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

sorry dude.. it seems like it's your CPU, check your CPU clocks and temps, maybe it's thermal throttling, also see if there's anything running in the background, but if the CPU is working fine then it's clearly doing all it can since it's at 90% usage

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

29 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

How exactly? Is this a GTA specific feature or something?

nope been like that since the dawn of video games , doesn't matter what your ping is or how fast the server is. if one player is a slow mess and it takes the server extra cycles to figure out just one character the whole world suffers for it 

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

nope been like that since the dawn of video games , doesn't matter what your ping is or how fast the server is. if one player is a slow mess and it takes the server extra cycles to figure out just one character the whole world suffers for it 

People will just start warping around but my FPS will stay steady.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

22 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

sorry dude.. it seems like it's your CPU, check your CPU clocks and temps, maybe it's thermal throttling, also see if there's anything running in the background, but if the CPU is working fine then it's clearly doing all it can since it's at 90% usage

my cpu is fine, it gets to about 30c

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

I've seen freezing character positions and juttery movement  but certainly never low fps.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

Trash beauty:

Xeon X5550RX 570 4GB (defective) -Fattydove Racing 240GB - WD Blue 320GBHP Z400 - 6x2GB DDR3 1066 - EVGA 450W3

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

51 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

-DDU and reinstall older 39x.xx driver

-Install Windows 7

I installed the 399.07 but its still the same, i dont want to install windows 7 otherwise I wont be able to play games that require windows 10 and its just a hassle

Story mode is the same, there is little to no fps difference

34 minutes ago, jerubedo said:

What do your CPU clock speeds look like while this is happening? 

3.1 ghz

rainbow six seige is getting some fps drops as well

My friend has got the same CPU as me and GTX 750 ti and he gets 60+ fps

14 minutes ago, JaayOCE said:

My friend has got the same CPU as me and GTX 750 ti and he gets 60+ fps

Can you show Task Manager Process tab sorted from high to lowest CPU usage while playing SP?

35 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Can you show Task Manager Process tab sorted from high to lowest CPU usage while playing SP?

What is SP? Im doing a virus check right now so i'll do it after its done

15 minutes ago, JaayOCE said:

What is SP? Im doing a virus check right now so i'll do it after its done

SIngle Player.

14 hours ago, fasauceome said:

I've seen freezing character positions and juttery movement  but certainly never low fps.

ah well good thing every single game that exists runs on the exact same engine.... and what with your large sample size its safe to say thats what every game does

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

ah well good thing every single game that exists runs on the exact same engine.... and what with your large sample size its safe to say thats what every game does

You say it in such a sarcastic tone but I do have a huge sample size, my steam library is really large and I've played many games on Xbox. One of the games I play is GTA V which just might be entirely relevant to this topic. But thanks so much for providing an example of a game that drops fps when someone's ping is high, instead of being contentious and totally unhelpful.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Trash beauty:

Turns out it lags on all games instead of just GTA V, (SoT, R6S) but benchmarks like Superposition are fine

16 hours ago, JaayOCE said:

When I redownloaded GTA V to play again, I have been getting low fps now, 40-60 FPS when I should get around 70-100

The graphic settings in this video has everything set to Lowest

Even if I have the graphics settings set to high, I get the same FPS

Don't say its my CPU because this has never happened before.

First of all, no need to re-post topics. But it's all good that you did once. Second of all, your CPU is NOT bottle-necking your GPU. It can, but that's not what's happening right now. As I mentioned before, I have almost your exact PC specs and my GTA 5 runs very well. And I game in 1440p. But I do get 46-57 fps in the city randomly though and it has a lot to do with multiple things, including RAM speed.

The fps you are getting is normal where you are located in the game in that video and since you are playing the game online, the more people in your lobby, the lower fps you will get, especially in the city. However, I want to check to see if that 15% GPU usage is in fact GPU usage. Outside of the game, pull up MSI Afterburner. Click on the Monitoring tab. Then take a couple of screenshots of what you see, just like I have done here.

msiab1.png.f9f5cc7b66582161792f55a2038b79e7.png

msiab2.png.1f1cb5798312b1c3ca48c12ef4cdd435.png

Keep in mind that what you see here is going to look different than mine because I have this all sorted out like I want it. Screenshot it anyway.

To easily do screenshots, press the windows key + shift + S key on your keyboard(a new windows feature) and drag exactly what you want to show on the screen. A little thing will pop up on the right side of your screen when you let go of the mouse button after dragging. Click on the little thing that pops up and then click on the save button in the top right corner of your screen, rename it to what you wish and now you can post it here.

You may need to take more than just 2 screenshots to show all the "in OSD" settings. Don't leave any out if they are at the bottom of the list. Once you do this, we can move on to the next step. One of which I will show you that you can already achieve higher fps than 40 without changing anything at all.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Historic Low said:

First of all, no need to re-post topics. But it's all good that you did once. Second of all, your CPU is NOT bottle-necking your GPU. It can, but that's not what's happening right now. As I mentioned before, I have almost your exact PC specs and my GTA 5 runs very well. And I game in 1440p. But I do get 46-57 fps in the city randomly though and it has a lot to do with multiple things, including RAM speed.

The fps you are getting is normal where you are located in the game in that video and since you are playing the game online, the more people in your lobby, the lower fps you will get, especially in the city. However, I want to check to see if that 15% GPU usage is in fact GPU usage. Outside of the game, pull up MSI Afterburner. Click on the Monitoring tab. Then take a couple of screenshots of what you see, just like I have done here.

msiab1.png.f9f5cc7b66582161792f55a2038b79e7.png

msiab2.png.1f1cb5798312b1c3ca48c12ef4cdd435.png

Keep in mind that what you see here is going to look different than mine because I have this all sorted out like I want it. Screenshot it anyway.

To easily do screenshots, press the windows key + shift + S key on your keyboard(a new windows feature) and drag exactly what you want to show on the screen. A little thing will pop up on the right side of your screen when you let go of the mouse button after dragging. Click on the little thing that pops up and then click on the save button in the top right corner of your screen, rename it to what you wish and now you can post it here.

You may need to take more than just 2 screenshots to show all the "in OSD" settings. Don't leave any out if they are at the bottom of the list. Once you do this, we can move on to the next step. One of which I will show you that you can already achieve higher fps than 40 without changing anything at all.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

12 minutes ago, JaayOCE said:

-snip-

Excellent. Now go in and checkmark Power, RAM Usage, Frametime and CPU temperature(let me know if you don't see CPU temperature). Then click on each of these 4 things and show them in OSD(you should know how to do this). Then apply the settings and come back here and I'll then tell ya' the next step.