Audio-Technica ATH-M50X vs Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 ohms

JHurley7nrx
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
1 hour ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Im now actually thinking of buying the dt 990 pros because the are open back, I see you have them listed in your profile what are they like for lows without being equalised.

not as good as the 770's sound wise IMO. mine are pretty heavily eqd to suite my tastes. but stock they have more pronounced mid bass and highs and the highs can be too much for most people some times a little sibilant. while the 770's have a clean low end emphasizing sub bass the 990's have a clean low end emphasizing the mid bass. The are alittle wider sound stage wise and imaging and separation are about the same. 

harman.png

Hey guys,

I am thinking of getting the 770s or the athx50s, I like the 50s for the features that they have such as removable cable and better durability but the 770s go 3 times lower. 5hz insted of 15hz and obviously 250 ohms rather than 38 ohms , theses headphones will be used for listering to music and as monitors. 

Neither, I'd reccommend HD 598 Cs, as they have better quality. M50x is overrated imo, the 598 has in-line controls, better breathability (important for closed back), and better sound-stage/ both are fine though, although the 770s will require an AMP due to the 250ohm impedance. (theres basically no difference from 50ohm-250ohm esp. on lower end headsets.)

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

Neither, I'd reccommend HD 598 Cs, as they have better quality. M50x is overrated imo, the 598 has in-line controls, better breathability (important for closed back), and better sound-stage/ both are fine though, although the 770s will require an AMP due to the 250ohm impedance. (theres basically no difference from 50ohm-250ohm esp. on lower end headsets.)

has in-line controls, better breathability (important for closed back), and better sound-stage/ both are fine though, although the 770s will require an AMP due to the 250ohm impedance. (theres basically no difference from 50ohm-250ohm esp. on lower end headsets.)

Ah cool cheers for quick responces, but the 770s go to 5hz rather than 12hz. How about the HD 598 Cs they go down to 10hz but still not as low, I am a big fan of bass music so going as low as possible is imporant for my use, I know most bass is around 70/40hz but its allways good to have headroom right..

6 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Ah cool cheers for quick responces, but the 770s go to 5hz rather than 12hz. How about the HD 598 Cs they go down to 10hz but still not as low, I am a big fan of bass music so going as low as possible is imporant for my use, I know most bass is around 70/40hz but its allways good to have headroom right..

the sennheisers actually only go to 14, when tested, and the dT770s only go to 10hz, less than 40 is good, and the best ears can only distinct between differences of 5hz (kinda of asking somebody what is hotter, watter that is 120 degrees, and water that is 123 degress (farenheight)

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-vs-sennheiser-hd-598-cs/440/409?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

the DT 770s have better low bass, but worse mid and high bass (low is the thump feeling, mid and high is more easily heard)

2 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

the sennheisers actually only go to 14, when tested, and the dT770s only go to 10hz, less than 40 is good, and the best ears can only distinct between differences of 5hz (kinda of asking somebody what is hotter, watter that is 120 degrees, and water that is 123 degress (farenheight)

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-vs-sennheiser-hd-598-cs/440/409?usage=5003&threshold=0.1

the DT 770s have better low bass, but worse mid and high bass (low is the thump feeling, mid and high is more easily heard)

Oh really how interesting to know, low bass is my preferred area of bass such as bass featured on reagge which is around 40hz. I currently have the ath x20s but I feel like something is missing in the playback this is why i want to upgrade to some new headphones.

The m50x is really good for exaggerated bass. It is very uncomfortable to my head because the head strap has no padding, just a cover over cardboard. 

I use the 770-250ohm, and no you do not need an amp to run them at all. But it does sound better with a dedicated amplifier as all speakers/headphones do. It’s comfort for days. I can wear it in my office all say without issues. 

Im not sure I would choose a headphone based on the extreme FR. Testing for those curves is anything but standard. Try them on and see which one you prefer. 

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

The m50x is really good for exaggerated bass. It is very uncomfortable to my head because the head strap has no padding, just a cover over cardboard. 

I use the 770-250ohm, and no you do not need an amp to run them at all. But it does sound better with a dedicated amplifier as all speakers/headphones do. It’s comfort for days. I can wear it in my office all say without issues. 

Im not sure I would choose a headphone based on the extreme FR. Testing for those curves is anything but standard. Try them on and see which one you prefer. 

So the 50s are better for lows but the 770s go lower wouldn't they be more aggressive for bass with some equalizing. If im wrong please tell me and why im wrong?

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Off topic but its says your a engineer on your profile, are you a audio engineer?

I would get DT770 between the two. You shouldn't need additional AMP if you're running a pretty modern non-crappy motherboards

10 minutes ago, xtroria said:

I would get DT770 between the two. You shouldn't need additional AMP if you're running a pretty modern non-crappy motherboards

Yes I did think that but I through its good to get people other oppions as well see what others say, Im running the Z170 pro gaming/aura which can drive up to 300 ohms should I should be good. 

770s all the way while feature wise they may be lacking. The sound is definitely superior

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

770s all the way while feature wise they may be lacking. The sound is definitely superior

Yes, wish they had a detach able cable tho but for Audio thay are insane, but I wanted to see other peoples oppions on them. 

5 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

So the 50s are better for lows but the 770s go lower wouldn't they be more aggressive for bass with some equalizing. If im wrong please tell me and why im wrong?

I didn't say the m50 is "better" for lows exactly. The m50 has a very exaggerated FR curve in the lower frequencies, meaning it is tuned to provide a higher SPL at "bass frequencies," to a point where the bass sounds bloated and unnatural. The m50 is for bass heads who just want to hear bass. Someone could argue it's a "funner" headphone of the two. But the 770's bass is much more refined and subtle by comparison to the m50. I have heard some music where the 770 was slamming bass into my ears. I'm not saying the 770 is perfect... I would get roasted alive if I said that around here. But in terms of audio quality, comfort, and accurate bass reproduction between these two headphones, the 770 is the clear winner. Especially the 250ohm pro version with the velour ear pads.

5 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Off topic but its says your a engineer on your profile, are you a audio engineer?

Civil engineer

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I didn't say the m50 is "better" for lows exactly. The m50 has a very exaggerated FR curve in the lower frequencies, meaning it is tuned to provide a higher SPL at "bass frequencies," to a point where the bass sounds bloated and unnatural. The m50 is for bass heads who just want to hear bass. Someone could argue it's a "funner" headphone of the two. But the 770's bass is much more refined and subtle by comparison to the m50. I have heard some music where the 770 was slamming bass into my ears. I'm not saying the 770 is perfect... I would get roasted alive if I said that around here. But in terms of audio quality, comfort, and accurate bass reproduction between these two headphones, the 770 is the clear winner. Especially the 250ohm pro version with the velour ear pads.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Civil engineer

Ah cool ok

Think I will defentally go for the 770s becauses most of the time I love a clean flat playback but if I want extra bass I just put a eq curve on. Cheers thanks very much for answering my question. 

7 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

Think I will defentally go for the 770s becauses most of the time I love a clean flat playback but if I want extra bass I just put a eq curve on. Cheers thanks very much for answering my question. 

The 770's are no t flat by any means but they a re clean responsive and detailed.  Especially in the highs and the subbass

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

The 770's are no t flat by any means but they a re clean responsive and detailed.  Especially in the highs and the subbass

Ah cool thats even better. 

The thing to love about the DT 770s imo is the fact that they sound wide even through they are closed back. The separation and imaging is also great making guys really good for gaming .and there are guids on the internet on how to give them a detachable cable . Or people willing to do it for you.

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

The thing to love about the DT 770s imo is the fact that they sound wide even through they are closed back. The separation and imaging is also great making guys really good for gaming .and there are guids on the internet on how to give them a detachable cable . Or people willing to do it for you.

Im now actually thinking of buying the dt 990 pros because the are open back, I see you have them listed in your profile what are they like for lows without being equalised.

1 hour ago, JHurley7nrx said:

not as good as the 770's sound wise IMO. mine are pretty heavily eqd to suite my tastes. but stock they have more pronounced mid bass and highs and the highs can be too much for most people some times a little sibilant. while the 770's have a clean low end emphasizing sub bass the 990's have a clean low end emphasizing the mid bass. The are alittle wider sound stage wise and imaging and separation are about the same. 

harman.png

7 hours ago, rice guru said:

harman.png

Ah ok so the 770s are better for me then the 990 pros, cheers thanks very much for the help?