iPhone XR Dominates the iPhone Market

7 hours ago, floofer said:

The Retina display was designed to be more pixels than the eye can see. I don’t see why more is really necessary. You can’t actually see more.

Quite obviously with people buying up the XR, this opinion is shared, any more resolution is just placebo.

Unless you are running Android. Most likely it will try and stream or play videos relative to the resolution of the device - so you can’t actually watch 1080p video on a screen that is just as pixel dense as any 1080p screen. (Am assuming this is the case).

Whereas 4K HVEC is pretty much compatible with any Apple device, and will render out in 4K.

The thing is, I wasn't using 1080p video even before because it was pointless. It just sucked up more of my data plan with no visual benefit on such tiny screen. So, going to XR's resolution doesn't really change anything. Except the fact it's a really bizarre resolution which is what really sucks.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:14 PM, schwellmo92 said:

I expect (and hope for the sake of my stock portfolio) that Apple will fall when they finally report their quarterly earnings.

F, happily it went up ;) 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

On 4/30/2019 at 8:22 PM, Arika S said:

I think this is the main point. Who cares if it's the best selling iphone? hell who cares if it's the best selling smart phone? it changes literally nothing in the grand scheme of things

thats news in a nutshell

45 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

F, happily it went up ;) 

Yep R.I.P me, luckily I’ve been more conservative lately only took a $4,000 L on that one. To be fair though I was correct about iPhone sales, they were down. Just somehow their services increased to fill the gap which is arguably more important as services are constant revenue streams.

19 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The thing is, I wasn't using 1080p video even before because it was pointless. It just sucked up more of my data plan with no visual benefit on such tiny screen. So, going to XR's resolution doesn't really change anything. Except the fact it's a really bizarre resolution which is what really sucks.

I still to this day only stream 720p on my phone, there’s almost no difference between it and 1080p. My battery also lasts slightly longer which is nice, and no it’s not a data usage minimisation thing, I get 80gb a month which I never get close to using.

2 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Just somehow their services increased to fill the gap

It’s almost like Apple expected iPhone sales to go down :D 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Yep R.I.P me, luckily I’ve been more conservative lately only took a $4,000 L on that one. To be fair though I was correct about iPhone sales, they were down. Just somehow their services increased to fill the gap which is arguably more important as services are constant revenue streams.

It is, but for them to work you need a full Apple ecosystem. Since Apple doesn't run ANY of their services on competitor platforms like Android, their device sales also need to be decent in order to keep up with the userbase of services. If people escape to Android, they effectively lose any chance for that person be using any of their services either. Which is kind of a curse of running a closed ecosystem like they are running... If phone sales will continue to drop dramatically they'll be forced to open up support for other platforms in order to keep income from services up. It's why Google, Facebook, Microsoft and the likes are spreading outside of their ecosystems just to have more control and because they don't depend on hardware devices as much as Apple does. So, we'll see how this goes in the future with Apple...

On 4/25/2019 at 8:49 PM, seon123 said:

That's quite a bold claim, based on such a small sample size...

Personally, I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the XR. The top 10 most sold phones by Telenor, one of the two large operators in Norway, in March were the:

Hide contents

1. S10+

2. S10

3. XS

4. XS Max

5. XR

6. Iphone 8

7. P30 Pro

8. 8 Plus

9. Mate 20 Pro

10. Iphone 7

The markets are different in Norway Vs the US and UK, but I would think that this would have more basis than a survey of just 500 people. 

On another note, the XR doesn't use an OLED screen, so I'm not sure if I would even consider it, if I was on the market for a high end phone. Also, I can definitely see that the 401 PPI pentile matrix display on my OnePlus 3 isn't as sharp as I would like it to be. 

Sauce: https://www.online.no/swap/mest-solgte-mobiler-i-norge-i-mars-2019

To add to this, I don't think I've seen anyone use an iPhone XR in Denmark, but I see lots of X and Xs. The market is probably just a little different here.