Single, Unemployed Better "Gamers”

Women gamers better than men - survey

Source: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2019/04/women-gamers-better-than-men-survey.html

If you want to be a competitive gaming champion, it pays to either be single, unemployed or a woman.

Data collected by esports company Gosu.ai has found just what it takes to win. The Lithuania-based startup - which was founded by a woman - surveyed 5000 Dota 2 players, and found though only 4 percent of respondents were women, they had a 44 percent higher average win rate than men, GamesBeat reports.

5000 is a lot. 

Gosu.ai provides an assistant which analyses players' strategies, and suggests ways they can improve. Its survey found male players who don't have jobs, never travel, work out regularly and don't have a degree were able to improve their online rankings much quicker than others.

Not really surprising, lots of free time. Thinking of myself in 2014. I had mastered quick scoping in MW2 and 720 no-scopes. No kidding, it was easy as in MW2. 

"This survey offers additional insight - much of it actionable - on what can help gamers go from good to great, or losses to wins," said founder Alisa Chumachenko.

Just how 'actionable' losing your job and partner might be is debatable, but the findings won't do much to end the stereotype of the typical male gamer being a basement-dwelling loser.

Recent surveys have in fact found almost half of all gamers are women. In New Zealand, the figure is 48 percent, and has been for about five years.

This figure is pretty surprising to be honest. Not just because we don't have basements in New Zealand. Most girls I know enjoy gym, tequila and a balanced breakfast. Not so much video games. 

More information about integrity of data and clarity by @Spotty (thank you). So this data is very unreliable and should not be trusted. Context is not taken and is purely for advertisement. No citation or sources provided. 

Spoiler

Also... March 21, 2018 7:00 AM
I think it's just the wrong link used in the article.

The only bit of information I can find about this "survey" is this graph which is shown on a few other news articles which unfortunately don't seem to list a source for it. Also the title indicates that it's measuring the rate at which gamers improved their skills, and the Y axis indicates a monthly time frame. So it's who improved their skills the most in the period of a month. If any particular group has a low starting score, then they have the largest potential for improvement. Unfortunately I can't confirm if that is indeed what the graph is suggesting, since it's vague as fuck and there's no source for the data.
image.thumb.png.30e9656b5a7e1fc320e928e95f42e8c1.png

Trying to find the source of the image, all I can find is online news sites citing other online news sites as their source of information. Most even copying the article word for word.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/24/are-women-better-gamers-than-men-this-startups-ai-driven-research-says-yes/

https://www.businesstelegraph.co.uk/are-women-better-gamers-than-men-this-startups-ai-driven-research-says-yes-techcrunch/

http://huffington-global.com/are-women-better-gamers-than-men-this-startups-ai-driven-research-says-yes/

The fucking Huffington-Global site DIRECTLY COPIED AND PASTED from the tech crunch website, as the URLs that were in the techcrunch article are blank spaces where the formatting didn't copy the links.

image.png.c9511ee4475f7a0a338414730d516baa.png

image.png.e0173acf78ae80a4fb1770997096cc1d.png

Useless, lazy reporting.

Edited by Guest
Don’t want to attract more trolls. Original title was “Women better gamers than men”.

I don't disagree, all the people I know that play Overwatch gets their asses kicked by this one girl (not me btw).

Though I know a grand total of 3 other girl gamers. And all of them are on Discord. 

If you count Tetris as a game I haven't found anyone that has beaten me yet.

It's nice to see that more girls are gaming though.

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

12 minutes ago, floofer said:

Data collected by esports company Gosu.ai has found just what it takes to win. The Lithuania-based startup - which was founded by a woman - surveyed 5000 Dota 2 players, and found though only 4 percent of respondents were women, they had a 44 percent higher average win rate than men

Unrepresentative sample, survey can go fist itself

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

9 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

This might sound dubious but how much of that 4% women player base was transgender?

It uses Dota 2's inbuilt database, so I would assume its specified by the user's steam account or attained via survey, so what someone identifies as or whatnot. I would hope they put their birth gender. 

1 minute ago, floofer said:

It uses Dota 2's inbuilt database, so I would assume its specified by the user's steam account or attained via survey, so what someone identifies as or whatnot. I would hope they put their birth gender. 

Oh, alright; that'd make more sense in my head.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, handymanshandle said:

Oh, alright; that'd make more sense in my head.

Well doing any survey over the internet is pretty inaccurate. 

I thought that figure was high because they included mobiles games like candy crush et al.

As far as the rest is concerned, may I inquire as to exactly what this amounts to and why is it important?   There are definitely  games that woman should be better at by virtue of the biological difference, but that should really be only measurable a the extremes.   If only 4% are represented then what is the confidence interval for the 44% win rate?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It does seem MOBAs have a larger female audience than other genres.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

23 minutes ago, floofer said:

though only 4 percent of respondents were women, they had a 44 percent higher average win rate than men, GamesBeat reports.

Clicking that link, I found nothing about what the article claims. 

The journalist might also have confused MOBA with RTS :P

Dota 2 is a multiplayer online battle arena, a type of game in which players send armies into battle against one another.

:)

Can any of them beat Faker?

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

25 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The journalist might also have confused MOBA with RTS :P

We only have the very, very best journalism in New Zealand. We use the best words - great words. Highly educative. 

29 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Also... March 21, 2018 7:00 AM
I think it's just the wrong link used in the article.

The only bit of information I can find about this "survey" is this graph which is shown on a few other news articles which unfortunately don't seem to list a source for it. Also the title indicates that it's measuring the rate at which gamers improved their skills, and the Y axis indicates a monthly time frame. So it's who improved their skills the most in the period of a month. If any particular group has a low starting score, then they have the largest potential for improvement. Unfortunately I can't confirm if that is indeed what the graph is suggesting, since it's vague as fuck and there's no source for the data.
image.thumb.png.30e9656b5a7e1fc320e928e95f42e8c1.png

Trying to find the source of the image, all I can find is online news sites citing other online news sites as their source of information. Most even copying the article word for word.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/24/are-women-better-gamers-than-men-this-startups-ai-driven-research-says-yes/

https://www.businesstelegraph.co.uk/are-women-better-gamers-than-men-this-startups-ai-driven-research-says-yes-techcrunch/

http://huffington-global.com/are-women-better-gamers-than-men-this-startups-ai-driven-research-says-yes/

The fucking Huffington-Global site DIRECTLY COPIED AND PASTED from the tech crunch website, as the URLs that were in the techcrunch article are blank spaces where the formatting didn't copy the links.

image.png.c9511ee4475f7a0a338414730d516baa.png

image.png.e0173acf78ae80a4fb1770997096cc1d.png

Useless, lazy reporting.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

<snip>

Put in main article so people can not take this data too seriously 

Spoiler

image.png.1e449e08a829f044a7a82ca79203baa0.png

The graph in itself is super fucking weird. The data they chose to represent is super weird. I get having "girls" (women) as a category, but it's directly compared against things like "people who work out 4 times a week". There's no comparison to "Men". They have "Men who have a wife" category... But no other relationship status? Women who are married? Men who are single? Nope...
Whoever created this graph was very selective with what data they chose to represent and how it was represented, in an attempt that I can only assume is to engineer a particular result.

Then there's the fact that the results shown in the graph are ordered by how much they improved by, except for the Women category which is out of place and placed next to the lowest scores (where by contrast it makes it look much larger). Then for whatever reason they changed the colour of the bar in the graph for the women results, and even added a huge graphic next to the "girls" result.

People criticise Nvidia for useless fucking graphs, but this is just as bad.

Same results but this time all the results are ordered, and there are no special graphics or different coloured bars to make certain results stand out. Doesn't look so exciting now, does it?
image.png.5123be768012001fb9fb75c0a607874b.png

Where's the news articles for "Survey proves shut-ins are the best gamers!"? /s

Spoiler

image.png.7f8ab452f720257943074c70c9df9ee4.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Because the entirety of gaming is DOTA2 only, apparently... Besides, while some are endlessly bitching how games are sexist and whatnot, games are really the most fair competitive stuff between genders because physical differences that are in favor of males in real sports disappear in digital games. It's all down to your reflexes and thinking.

Also lets don't stretch the "almost 50% of gamers are women" thing. If you look globally, maybe. But there is this weird segment of mobile games and I'm honestly just not seeing the trend where women would be greatly engaged in gaming as a whole group, they are more into fitness, makeup and stuff where gaming is still considered childish, though way less than in 90's or early 2000's. It also heavily depends on games. Overwatch for example has a lot more women playing because of it's cutesy characters and stuff compared to Call of Duty or Battlefield. Not gonna say there aren't any women playing these, they just generally don't seem engaged in such games because they are too serious.

2 hours ago, floofer said:

Women gamers better than men

Never, maybe when the sun fades out

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

I don't disagree, Dota 2 is a disease to us male especially SEA region. It increase our blood pressure and simply want to scream our heart out with open mic or/and destroy the keyboard when we failed 1v5 gank. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Gegger said:

I don't disagree, all the people I know that play Overwatch gets their asses kicked by this one girl (not me btw).

Though I know a grand total of 3 other girl gamers. And all of them are on Discord. 

If you count Tetris as a game I haven't found anyone that has beaten me yet.

It's nice to see that more girls are gaming though.

Do you think this is because women are better, or because the best skilled women play online gaming?

I think it's hard to say, and find the original article problematic in that sense. With so many people playing games, who knows if people like me (who are just useless at some things when, say ill :( ) are just loosing not because they are men/women but because of life (or hardware ;) ) situations.

PS, graph also shows fitness plays a big role. Like, literally. If I'm too ill to go for a walk/run, then I'll fail in RocketLeague all the time. If I'm feeling fine, I'm out, not playing RL, but may win a couple of games when I do... so I end up de-ranking because I play when I feel too ill to go out. ?‍♂️?

PS... Oh, yes it's a "rate of improvement" graph, and so does not say what the headline says. Stupid faking of results from actual real data. :(

The more credible survey sites, or should that be least bad survey sites, will try to normalise for other factors when comparing a single factor. They would try to have a representative demographic of respondents and adjust to compensate if not. I don't know if 4% being female is representative or not, because if not, that could skew the results. Maybe it is a higher number but many of the others were like, I don't want to fill in some random survey, and those that did were relatively more invested in the game.

In short, whenever you see any survey or poll, consider who did they ask to respond?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

The graph in itself is super fucking weird. The data they chose to represent is super weird.

Welcome to the world of girl-power stats.  Were so much is twisted, cherry-picked, mismatched or out right lies simply for the sake of painting the desired picture.  And once we take a quick looksie at where the hell this particular data is coming from AND WHY; we find:

Alisa Chumachenko, the founder of Game Insight, is back with a new startup called Gosu.ai, which she bills as a training lab that combines artificial intelligence and personalized advice to come up with coaching tips for would-be esports athletes. The company has raised $1.9 million in funding.

So its probably more bullshit to makes monies; and we can begin to understand why this is the 1st 'survey/study' to suggest this where everything else for decades states the opposite.  Pretty safe bet its confirmation bias from the snake-oil source.  To Alisas credit, its a smart business to have.  Publishers and devs are so desperate to get female gamers that they'll readily donate money to any such venture.