Microsoft Edge Insiders Preview

SansVarnic

For all new information and discussion on the new Chromium powered Edge browser.

Main site and download location.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/

Insiders Forum

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Articles/We-re-Listening/m-p/407743#M7

LTT News thread on this.

TechLinked video

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm kinda bummed the set tabs aside stuff hasn't been implimented yet(or wont be?), otherwise it feels mostly like chrome.

30 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

your techlinked video isn't working...

Fixed, for somereason I linked the floatplane video instead of the youtube version. 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Fixed, for somereason I linked the floatplane video instead of the youtube version. 

yep, works fine now

New Tab Page Walkthrough

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Articles/New-Tab-Page-Walkthrough/m-p/480053#M550

Microsoft Edge’s new tab experience is designed to be a clean, delightful experience that helps you find what you need on the web and get you where you want to go next. Microsoft Edge starts with a new tab, and you can create more new tabs by clicking the “+” (next to existing tabs).

We’d love to hear what you like about our new tab experience, what doesn’t work for you, and anything more you’d like to see in this experience.

Default layout for new tabs

The default new tab layout uses a daily background wallpaper sourced from Bing’s image of the day collection. This experience also offers the standard in-page search box as well as quick link tiles .

Celebrating the image as the hero of this experience, we’ve created space across the middle for the picture to shine through.

In this layout, News is at your fingertips, just a scroll away To bring it up, you can either click the category headers along the bottom or scroll the page.

ntp1.png

In the upper right is a  quick way for you to choose various layouts for the page.

Settings flyout

To see more layout choices, explore the settings flyout in the upper right corner of the page.

ntp2.png

Focused. Keep it simple.

Focused layout has the fewest visual elements, giving you just the basics: a search box & quick link tiles.

ntp3.png

Inspirational. Daily background wallpaper.

This is our default layout, introduced above. Here’s a run through the core elements on the page:

• Daily background wallpaper from Bing.
  • Image caption and interactive museum card for more information about each picture. Clicking the museum card takes you to more information about the image.
  • A rich repository of news is also at your fingertips, just a scroll away, and can be accessed anytime by scrolling down.

ntp4.png

Informational. Stay informed with news.

Informational layout balances news with search & recent sites. In this layout, the rich repository of news powered by Microsoft News  is present to help you stay current on the topics you care about.

• Personalized news: click the “Personalize” link to set the topics that will appear in your feed
  • We program trusted news from the world’s best journalists in more than 140 countries and 28 languages, keeping you plugged into the events of the day and information relevant to your individual lives.
  • Microsoft News keeps people informed across the web, phone and PC, using our long-tested approach of curating news via publishing partnerships, human editors, and AI.
  • We work with more than a thousand premium publishers and more than 3,000 brands in all major global markets – like USA Today, The New York Times, FOX News, The Washington Post, and many more – to aggregate the best news, videos, photos and other content and deliver it, for free, to people all over the world.

ntp5.png

Other layout customizations

You can explore additional new tab page layout configurations by turning individual toggles on and off.

ntp6.png

• Toggling “Show most visited sites” turns on/off the quick link tiles
  • Toggling “Image of the day” turns on/off the background wallpaper
  • Toggling “Show feeds” moves the news content above/below the visible “fold” of the page

•  

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Hi,

Is anyone facing this issue where Microsoft edge wouldn't update? Disabled firewall and still the same issue

image.png.fab0241454c4aef9e9c27cf2d0d2a98f.png

On 4/24/2019 at 9:08 PM, Yongtjunkit said:

<snip>

I dont believe I've seen that. When I get time I'll sit down and see if I can research that for you... it might not be till Monday when I can though...

I could suggest re-installing but hat may not resolve your issue. You can try to open your windows security and add that extension to your allow list.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Dev channel update to 75.0.139.1 is live

Today we released build 75.0.139.1 to the Dev channel. Updates will happen automatically, but if you want to update immediately just go to the Settings and moremenu, and choose Help and feedback > About Microsoft Edge. This will start an update check automatically.

This build contains a number improvements which have appeared in Canary throughout the week. Here is the first of what will be weekly change summaries that we will release when the Dev channel updates:

New features and functionality

• Microsoft Edge Insider Channels will now install to Windows 10 32-bit devices. Just visit www.microsoftedgeinsider.com from your device and follow the usual installation steps.
  • More natural sounding voices are now available for the Read Aloud feature, and exposed via the JavaScript Speech Synthesis API

Bug fixes and improvements

• The animated spinner that displays on the About page when checking for updates is no longer scaled improperly
  • After importing favorites from Internet Explorer, the favorites bar folder will be properly named “Favorites bar” instead of “Links”
  • A confirmation prompt will now appear when deleting multiple history items
  • The “Show in folder” option will now work when a download is in the middle of virus scanning
  • Fixed a crash on pressing CTRL+SHIFT+M in inPrivate mode
  • Fixed a poorly rendered animation when viewing “See all cookies and site data” under site permissions
  • Fixed a bug where Microsoft Account credentials were not inherited from Windows 10 until after the first launch

This list is the just a first step toward improving our communication about what is changing in the Insider channels. Since our initial release, one message we’ve heard clearly is that you want better communication about these changes. Your feedback has prompted us to investigate the best way to get that information to you on a regular basis. For now you will continue to see this short change summary. You will also see content on the “welcome” page that appears when the Dev channel is updated that highlights new functionality, Microsoft Edge news, and other topics of interest to the community. Meanwhile, we are working toward giving you a more detailed view into what’s happening. If you have thoughts about what you’d like to see, please discuss in this thread. We want to make sure what we deliver will meet your expectations.

Thanks for being a Microsoft Edge Insider, and see you next week.

-David

So far the browser is looking pretty good. :) 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I dont believe I've seen that. When I get time I'll sit down and see if I can research that for you... it might not be till Monday when I can though...

I could suggest re-installing but hat may not resolve your issue. You can try to open your windows security and add that extension to your allow list.

Oddly it fixed itself, probably it’s just a temporary issue 

Dev channel update to 75.0.139.4 is live

A small update.

Today we delivered build 75.0.139.4 to the Dev channel. This release chiefly contains changes from Chromium 75, but does contain two notable bug fixes as well:

• Fixed a crash when viewing a security certificate in F12 developer tools
  • Fixed a crash which prevented the browser from shutting down cleanly after the first time it is run

As always, let us know if you encounter any issues with this build. Thanks for being an insider, and see you next week.

-David

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Dev Update to 76.0.159.0 is live

Hello insiders, today we released build 76.0.159.0 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel. Some of the fixes and improvements in this build are in the change summary below

New features and improvements:

• Added a "Copy download link" option to the menu for a downloaded item
  • The context menu for a canceled download no longer shows a list of disabled items, and instead shows only "Copy download link"
  • Added a "Save as" option to the toolbar in the PDF viewer
  • The "Add to dictionary" context menu option for a misspelled word now has an icon
  • For quick links on the new tab page, if there is no site icon available we now show an icon created from the first letter of the site
  • Increased the size of some text on the user profile flyout for readability
  • When a tab is at minimum width and only shows the close button, that close button is now centered in the tab
  • In the Apps submenu, an option now reads "Install this site as an app" instead of showing a really long menu item name that contained the title of the current site
  • When using the keyboard to move through tabs, you can now press enter and not just space to switch tab

Bug fixes:

• The send feedback dialog no longer spellchecks URLs and email addresses
  • Fixed a bug where Microsoft Edge may crash after it was accessed through a remote desktop session
  • Fixed a crash when navigating back to history search results
  • Fixed a crash related to tooltips that would occur in a number of different scenarios
  • Fixed a visual formatting problem with the warning about a dangerous file download
  • Fixed a bug in the DevTools Performance tab where the checkboxes in the event log viewer overlapped with the content of the adjacent pane
  • New tab page settings no longer show up in settings search
  • Fixed a bug with tree views (such as the one seen when adding a new favorites folder) were showing black-on-dark-grey icons in dark theme
  • The icon for the new tab page is no longer black on dark grey in dark mode

Thanks again to everyone for being an insider, and keep the great feedback and bug reports coming.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Dev channel update to 76.0.167.1 is live

Update: At 8:00 AM Redmond time on May 24 we released build 76.0.167.1 to the Dev channel. This build contains all of the fixes and improvements in 76.0.167.0, and a fix for the bug which caused it not to launch. 

Hello insiders, today we released build 76.0.167.0 to the Dev channel. Some significant changes worth your attention include:

• The built-in translator has now rolled out to everyone. We’d appreciate it if you’d let us know how it works on your sites in your language. Just use the send feedback smiley button.
  • Dark mode, which many of you have enabled manually via a configuration flag, is now on by default for everyone. To see Microsoft Edge in dark mode, you will need to change your Windows or macOS system settings.
  • Keyword search for the address bar is now enabled. When you begin to type the “keyword” for a search engine into the address bar, you will be reminded that you can press tab to search using that engine. You can also type the entire keyword and press space to enter keyword search mode. If you continue typing and press enter, you will navigate directly to search results for that search engine. You may also see search suggestions from that engine as you type. Keyword search is available for all search engines you install or which are automatically detected for you as you browse. To manage search engines, open Settings, then Privacy and services, then Address bar, then Manage search engines. Here you can add or delete search engines AND customize the keyword used for them.

Some other improvements:

• Added a “Close Microsoft Edge” option in the “Settings and more” menu
  • Improved dark theme support in Browser Task Manager
  • You can now tab to address bar icons which indicate blocked site permissions
  • Apps now appear in the same order on the apps menu and the apps page
  • Updated the keyboard focus rectangle so that it’s more clearly visible

Some of the bug fixes in this release include:

• Fixed an issue that was causing high CPU usage while the browser was idle.
  • Fixed an issue where extensions couldn’t alter video playback speed.
  • On the download page, individual download cards no longer change height as you tab through them.
  • Removed the “Unknown” option from the language dropdown menu in the translator
  • Fixed an issue where encrypted video only appears as a black screen.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on menu items sometimes doesn’t do anything.
  • Fixed a crash when enabling sync.
  • Fixed a crash during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page crashes due to a corrupted user profile.
  • Fixed a crash when opening Settings while in a guest browsing session

As always, thanks for being an insider and keep that feedback coming.

Bit late (Ive been busy)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Another day, another Google service that they are blocking from accessing for Edge Chromium users.

This time YouTube. If you have Edge Chromium, despite working great before, you are now stuck with the reduced experience website version of YouTube, like if you are using an old version of IE.

In the other cases, Google said "Oops, honest mistake" when it hit the media and fixed it, but now, Google, so far, has not done any action or said any comment.

After a lot of attention on social media on Google actions on YouTube, Google mentioned that they are "investigating", and has restored the full modern YouTube experience to Edge Chromium.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:39 AM, GoodBytes said:

Another day, another Google service that they are blocking from accessing for Edge Chromium users.

This time YouTube. If you have Edge Chromium, despite working great before, you are now stuck with the reduced experience website version of YouTube, like if you are using an old version of IE.

In the other cases, Google said "Oops, honest mistake" when it hit the media and fixed it, but now, Google, so far, has not done any action or said any comment.

55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

After a lot of attention on social media on Google actions on YouTube, Google mentioned that they are "investigating", and has restored the full modern YouTube experience to Edge Chromium.

Jack asses ...

Google wont play nice with others... I have not liked google for years (as far back as when they launched Google Search initially) and they just keep proving to me as to why.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

34 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Jack asses ...

Google wont play nice with others... I have not liked google for years (as far back as when they launched Google Search initially) and they just keep proving to me as to why.

I think it is because Google is scared of the new Edge.

I never saw so many changes coming from Google for their Chrome web browser since Microsoft started their Edge Chromium project.

They released dark mode, they are working on a new setting panel which looks like a replica of Edge Chromium Setting panel  to replace the long list mess setting panel that they have, they are tackling issues that they never tackled for ages like smooth scrolling, improving memory usage and lots more.

I think their technique is to try and scare Microsoft that, if Microsoft doesn't play nice with them, and if Chrome is being threaten, they can block their web browser from their widely popular service or cut the experience for its users.

Two Updates;

June 3rd, 2019

Autofill in Microsoft Edge

Spoiler

Autofill of forms is a feature familiar to most Microsoft Edge customers (or for that matter, users of most modern browsers). In the next version of Microsoft Edge too, you can expect the browser to remember your passwords for all your favorite websites and help you fill in your address and credit card details with one-click whenever you come across these forms online. In this post, we will cover some of these features that you’ve come to depend on and use in your everyday life.

View and Delete passwords within Microsoft Edge itself
Earlier, one needed to go to Windows Settings > Credentials Manager to view and delete saved passwords. Now this functionality is available within Microsoft Edge browser itself. You can View (after authenticating) and Delete your saved passwords in Settings > Profiles > Passwords.

autofill01.png

Autofill suggestions made more usable
These changes have been made to improve the form suggestions experience.

Full preview of address data with field highlighting
Filling an address form can sometimes involve effort even with autofill, especially when you have multiple similar addresses saved. Microsoft Edge lets you preview your autofill data for all suggestions within the same dropdown itself, making it easier to choose the right address to fill. 
autofill02.png
To help you quickly select the autofill suggestion, the value corresponding to the field currently in focus is highlighted in the suggestions.

autofill03.png

Ease of access for credentials
In login forms, Microsoft Edge now offers the ability to choose a credential pair both from the username field as well as the password field.

autofill04.pngautofill05.png

Browser data import for a seamless transition 

A possible roadblock to try out a new browser is the unavailability of data that’s important to you, such as your favorites, passwords and other autofill data. Microsoft Edge smoothly overcomes this hurdle by making your passwords, payment info and addresses available right from the first launch.

Upon browser setup, you may choose to keep your data from another browser. If so, you will find all your form data under Settings > Profile and you can manage your data as needed. If you have credit cards that are linked to your Microsoft account, you will not be able to view them yet in the autofill interface. This will be available soon.

autofill06.png

There is also an option to import all your autofill data on-demand, again through Settings > Profile. Remember that your existing data set will be replaced by the new data you import.

Sync autofill data across your devices
Work on syncing data across different devices is currently underway – expect these changes to reflect in the upcoming builds.

Control over your autofill data
As a Microsoft Edge user, you have full control on the autofill feature as well as your autofill data. It is important to us that you can easily view, delete and manage your personal data at any point of time. You can also enable/disable the whole feature for passwords, payment info and addresses, respectively.

autofill07.png

Looking ahead
This is just the beginning. We know that your time is super valuable. And every second that we spare you from typing out your details each time you shop online, or every bit of mind space we free up from remembering a complex password, counts. Which is why, in the new Microsoft Edge it is important that you get a reliable autofill experience that works intuitively whenever you come across a form on the web.

And to get there, we need your help. You can help us by sharing examples of areas where autofill in Microsoft Edge can do better.

We look forward to your inputs!

June 4th, 2109

Dev channel update to 76.0.176.1 is live

Spoiler

Greetings insiders! Today we released build 76.0.176.1 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  Although it’s only been a short time since the last update to the Dev Channel, we still have some fixes and improvements that are notable enough to mention: 

• Fixed an issue where the whole window sometimes goes blank or black when playing a video.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages hang as soon as they load.
  • Fixed an issue where the toggle to sync favorites is disabled even though the master sync toggle is turned on.
  • Fixed an issue where a “Microsoft Edge stopped working” dialog sometimes appears even though Edge is still running.
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong account picture is sometimes used when a user signs in with multiple accounts.
  • Fixed an issue where video control popups are cut off if they’re near the edge of the page.
  • Fixed an issue where video control buttons may overlap each other on small videos.
  • Fixed an issue where entries on the history page get cut off when the window is at a narrow width.
  • Increased the height of the rows in the address bar dropdown.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience didn’t render properly.

Once again, thank you so much for being an insider and for all the great feedback you’ve been sending us. 

-David

Mostly fixed issues, no major feature updates, we may see features soon.

I'm stoked, so far Edge is summing up well, even has Google paying attention. Yeah there are still missing features we all want, but that takes time to re-write and integrate to this format and we all know it. Former Edge took time to build and as much as I enjoyed it im willing to wait for this to catch up but even with the small things we have Google feels threatened and for good reason imo.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Two Updates;

Monday, June 10, 2019

Reading View in Insider Channels

Spoiler

Reading View in Insider Channels

Microsoft Edge’s reading view experience is designed to let you read web content without any extraneous information or anything jarring that strain your eyes. Reading is

one of the primary activities that people do on the web. In most cases, it is hindered by ads and other irrelevant content that can be distracting. Reading view solves this problem by transforming the page completely to offer an immersive reading experience to people while consuming content on the web.

How to enter Reading View

Reading view can be accessed for most of the websites that have a lot of content to read. Some categories of such websites are news, articles, blogs, stories etc. To enter reading view, you can go on any of the websites that fall in the above categories and check out for a book shaped icon (reading_view00.png) in the top right corner of the address bar (as seen in the screenshot below). Reading view currently works for Windows, macOS and Edge on Android.

reading_view01.png

Reading View entry point on desktop

reading_view02.png

Reading View entry point on Android

Reading View experience

Once you enter Reading view, you will see the page transformed into a cleaner layout that has been optimized for efficient reading. The background theme, the fonts, line spacing, number of words per line etc. have been adjusted for a favorable reading experience. Apart from a distraction free and clean layout, research suggests that these changes help improve comprehension, concentration, and speed. See the images below on how it transforms the page.

reading_view03.pngreading_view04.png

Reading View experience on desktop

reading_view05.pngreading_view06.png

Reading View Experience on Android

At the same time, we have changed the layout from the previous version to a vertical one on desktops since it was one of the most requested changes by the users. We are working on the reading bar that can be used for customizing the background themes and font sizes and you will be able to access those features soon.

To exit, click the same icon and seamlessly get back to the original webpage.

Grammar tools:

To assist users with reading comprehension, reading view offers Grammar tools built right into the experience.reading_view07.png

Click on the Grammar tools option on the toolbar and turn on parts of speech. This will highlight the text in reading view with colors associated with Nouns, Verbs or Adjectives.

To get assistance in pronunciations, you can turn on the " Syl•la•bles” option to see text broken down into chunks that make correct sounds for that language. 

Grammar tools may not be available in your version of Edge yet. You can either wait for the version of Edge with Grammar tools in reading view or you can enable the following flag by going to edge://flags and enabling the Grammar tools item there.reading_view08.png

Directly opening Reading View from bookmarks

You can also easily bookmark your favorite articles and open directly in reading view. As you can see, the URLs of all pages in reading view start with “read:” and hence can be uniquely identified. So, any webpage that is saved on your device or shared to friends will be automatically navigated to reading view for an engaged reading.

What do you think?

We’d appreciate if you can give reading view a try and let us know if you run into issues or have new ideas for the reading view functionality. Also, do comment on the layout of the experience and tell us if you want to see reading view on websites where we do not support currently. We would love to hear back from you. Click on the send feedback button and drop us a note.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Dev channel update to 76.0.182.6 is live

Spoiler

Dev channel update to 76.0.182.6 is live

Hello insiders! Today we released build 76.0.182.6 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  This is our very first update for the Mac Dev Channel, and as you can see below, we’re now including Mac changes in our release notes.  Some of the fixes and improvements that we believe are significant enough to mention include: 

Changes in feature behavior or appearance: 

• Added the number of additional tabs present in the window title.
  • Fixed an issue where the + button to open new tabs is invisible.
  • Fixed an issue where corrupted characters appeared in certain parts of the UI like the address bar dropdown or the … menu.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking quickly on the X on entries on the history page would open them instead of deleting them.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the “Remove All” button to remove all cookies doesn’t do anything.
  • Fixed an issue where the order of user profiles differed between the user flyout and the list in Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where signing out of user profiles didn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes don’t sync to other machines.
  • Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud bar sometimes takes a long time to appear.
  • Fixed an issue where entries on the history or download pages overlap at narrow window widths.

Fixes for better reliability and security: 

• Fixed an issue where switching between user profiles sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where sending feedback from a webpage that had crashed sometimes crashes the whole browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes hangs when it’s closed.
  • Updated to the latest version of Adobe Flash Player (32.0.0.207).

Mac-specific changes:

• Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes doesn’t launch.
  • Fixed an issue where video controls remained on the Touch Bar after leaving the page with the video.
  • Fixed an issue where refreshing the settings page caused certain UI buttons to appear to be disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where menu text can appear white on white in certain situations.

Thank you all for being an insider, and a special thanks to all of our Mac users over the past few weeks for helping us get our Mac builds stable enough to release to the Dev Channel.  Keep sending us that feedback! 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Two Updates;

Wednesday June 19, 2019

Dev channel update to 77.0.189.3 is live

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-update-to-77-0-189-3-is-live/m-p/707492

Spoiler

Hello insiders! Today we released build 77.0.189.3 to the Microsoft Edge Dev Channel.  As you can see, we’ve moved on to version 77, and as such, there are some fun new things to try out.  Those new things, as well as the fixes we believe are significant enough to mention this week, include: 

New features and behavior:

• Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
  • Added an option in the Help and Feedback menu to report an unsafe website.
  • Multiple tabs can now be selected using the keyboard’s ctrl and space keys.
  • Added dark theme to the Send Feedback dialog.
  • Added a separator between the active tab and the rest of the tabs when the color of the tab band makes it difficult to tell the difference between the active tab and the rest of the tabs.
  • Updated the color of windows when they’re inactive.

Fixes for improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where opening Settings as a guest crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where opening DevTools in InPrivate sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the loading spinner and the tab icon existed at the same time.
  • Fixed a crash when using Read Aloud.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages with videos would crash.
  • Fixed an issue where favorites sometimes get deleted if the first run experience is interrupted.
  • Fixed some strings that weren’t translated.
  • Fixed an issue where installed websites can’t be uninstalled from Windows Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where DevTools extensions weren’t appearing in the list of DevTools extensions.
  • Fixed an issue where sync sometimes wouldn’t work when using a VPN.
  • Fixed an issue where files shown on the downloads page used a generic icon instead of the file’s own icon.

Mac-only changes:

• Fixed an issue where clicking the Restart App button when installing an update doesn’t open the browser again.
  • Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes aren’t shown.
  • Fixed an issue where the text for the keyboard shortcut to open Downloads is different depending on where it is seen.
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to enter keychain credentials is unexpectedly seen after installing a new build.

As always, thanks for being an insider, and keep sending us all of your valuable feedback and suggestions! 

Tuesday, June 18th, 2019

Building hybrid applications with the WebView2 developer preview

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/06/18/building-hybrid-applications-with-the-webview2-developer-preview/

Spoiler

Last month at Build, we introduced the new WebView2 coming to Windows, powered by the upcoming Chromium-based Microsoft Edge. Today, we’re releasing a new update to the WebView2 SDK, and with it we’re ready to encourage a broader set of app developers to try the WebView2 preview and give us early feedback.

The WebView 2 preview has a limited scope, with support for an initial set of Win32 C++ APIs on Windows 10. Support for other Windows versions (Windows 7+ and Windows Server 2012 R2+) and UWP/WFP/WinForms support will become available in the future.

Screen capture from WebView Roadmap video at Build 2019

Learn more about WebView2 in our session from Build 2019: “Moving the web forward with Microsoft Edge

With today’s SDK updates, WebView2 addresses a number of popular requests we heard during the initial preview, including supporting 32-bit WebView on 64-bit machines, the ability to disable devtools, the ability to disable status bar, and more. Going forward, our initial plan is to update the SDK roughly every six weeks, with our cadence and roadmap primarily driven by your feedback. You can receive information about new releases via our release notes or via the RSS feed of the WebView2 NuGet package.

About the control

The WebView2 control allows developers to host web content within your native apps. This hybrid approach lets you to share code with similar controls on other platforms or with your websites, to inject dynamic content into your native apps, and to leverage the rich and growing ecosystem of tools, frameworks, and talent around web technologies, among other benefits.

WebView2 can power a wide spectrum of apps and use cases. For example, we’re working closely with the Office team to bring a WebView2-powered Add-ins experience to future versions of apps like Excel, which will allow add-ins to leverage the full-fidelity Chromium engine that powers Microsoft Edge.

Screen capture showing an Office Add-in experience powered by the new WebView2.

Office add-ins such as this one by Lucidchart will be able to leverage the modern capabilities of Microsoft Edge, enabled by WebView2

A consistent foundation for web apps on all Windows devices

By building on the same Chromium-based foundation as the next version of Microsoft Edge, the new WebView2 control is compatible with the latest web platform capabilities and broadly interoperable with the web experiences you have already built. WebView2 is by default powered by the always up-to-date Microsoft Edge, so you can build your web content against the latest and most secure platform without worrying about fragmentation across Windows versions, or across your web content running in the browser and in your app.

For developers that need a fully locked-down web platform, we’re working on a bring-your-own mode, which will allow bundling a redistributable version of the browser with a WebView2 app. The redistributable browser powering WebView2 gets no automatic update; in this case, app developers are responsible for servicing and updating the WebView to receive security updates and new capabilities.

We recognize that many developers have invested in EdgeHTML and MSHTML-based web apps and hybrid apps over time. As we build out WebView2, we expect it to be a compelling successor for these developers, but we hear loud and clear that not every app is ready to move forward. Existing Windows applications built with Windows web technologies, such as EdgeHTML/MSHTML-based WebViews or WWA/HWA/PWA built on top of the UWP platform, will continue to work as-is without modification.

Getting started the preview

We’re early in our journey to provide a modern, robust WebView for Windows devices, and the future direction of WebView2 will be heavily influenced by your feedback. Visit our documentation to learn more about the developer preview, check out the getting-started tutorial, and share your feedback, suggestions, and details on your scenarios over at our feedback repo.

Have fun building!

Limin Zhu, Program Manager, WebView

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday July 9th, 2019.

Dev channel build 77.0.211.2 is live

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-build-77-0-211-2-is-live/m-p/745801#M6548

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/welcome/update?channel=dev&version=77.0.211.2

Hello Insiders!  Today we released build 77.0.211.2 to the Microsoft Edge Developer channel.  We’ve got some new features, many of which you’ve seen over the past two weeks in Canary and have been eagerly waiting for in Dev.  We’ve also fixed quite a few reliability and behavior issues, the most significant of which include: 

New features and behavior: 

• Read Aloud enabled for PDFs
  • Enable secure receipt of payment card data.
  • Enable Application Reputation from SmartScreen by default
  • Fix to support Dolby audio on Windows 8.
  • Family safety feature has a flag in edge://flags.
  • Direct launch for ClickOnce applications has been enabled.
  • Support for HEVC decoder has been added.
  • Enable Windows Defender Application Guard by default
  • Now we sort extensions into “From Microsoft Store” and “From other store” categories
  • Added “Recent” category in History management page
  • Disabled InPrivate browsing for profiles managed by Family Settings
  • Added tracking prevention under a flag in edge://flags.
  • Added ability to Save pages as MHTML from reading view
  • Work to support single sign on (SSO) and Azure Active Directory (AAD) 
  • Work to support DRM in PDF
  • Localization into 11 languages (more coming)
  • Enabling SmartScreen on macOS by default
  • Enabling SafeSearch functionality for all Bing searches.
  • Support for keyboard shortcuts for extensions.

Fixes for improved reliability: 

• Fix for TouchBar on macOS when in YouTube fullscreen mode.
  • Multiple fixes to sync engine
  • Improved the crash reporting and uploading
  • Fixed a crash on URL load
  • Fixed an error when sync was turned off and on repeatedly.
  • Fixed a crash when trying to write to a read only date attribute
  • Fixed a crash when moving tab between two windows on separate screens.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when sync occurred before sign-on completed
  • Fixed a crash that occurs on some navigation requests.
  • Fixed a crash on pop-up windows
  • Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS Sierra and High Sierra versions
  • Enabled ability to automatically repair extensions by default.
  • Fixed an issue with guest more support on privacy and services settings page.
  • Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS

Fixes for improved behavior: 

• Improvements to dark mode in various controls and pages
  • Select the last used Chrome profile by default when importing from Chrome.
  • Move multiple controls to Fluent UI
  • Improve the cleanup logic in the installer
  • Limit New Tab Page content for Education SKUs and Windows 10s.
  • Fixes to new WebView control rendering
  • Fixes for importing defaults from Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer
  • Fixes for Reading View toolbar
  • Fixes for importing pinned tabs and settings during First Run Experience
  • Fix to use user preference for font size rather than preset default.
  • Automatically move keyboard focus to address bar after First Run Experience
  • Fixed the swipe gesture for History on macOS
  • Fixed the sync icon badge on the user flyout.
  • Audio offload fixes to improve performance and battery life.

In addition to this work, there has been a ton of work on coming features including enterprise management and IE-mode.  And of course, thanks to everybody for being an insider and sending us all of your great feedback and suggestions!   

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 3 months later...

Tuesday November 5th, 2019

Dev channel update to 80.0.320.3 is live

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-update-to-80-0-320-3-is-live/m-p/984711

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/welcome/update?channel=dev&version=80.0.320.3

josh_bodner
MICROSOFT

UPDATE:  We're expecting to release a small update in the next day or two to fix an issue where users with multiple browser profiles still see the old Edge icon on the Task Bar, and an issue where Netflix doesn't work.  

Hello insiders, we’ve got some big news today!  With today’s Dev Channel update to 80.0.320.3, we’re officially releasing a new icon for all Microsoft Edge channels.  You can read more about it here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/11/04/edge-chromium-release-candidate-get-ready.  That page also contains a date, January 15th, which is when we expect to release our first Stable Channel build, at which point Edge will be generally available to download on Windows and Mac. 

Some of you may have noticed a cryptic update last week.  That was part of a series of puzzles that hundreds of insiders participated in over the past weekend.  The puzzles culminated in a surfing game hidden inside Edge, and the reward for beating it was the chance to see the new icon before anybody else.  You can click here for instructions on how to unlock the game, or just search Twitter for #FindWhatsNext to try solving some of the puzzles! 

With all of these exciting announcements, we do have a few known issues that are still in this week’s build: 

• Extensions that are installed from the Chrome Web Store aren’t getting automatically updated. We expect the fix for this issue to be in today’s Canary and next week’s Dev. 
  • The fix for the issue where Edge’s first launch leads to a blank white window didn’t make it into this week’s build. We now expect it next week. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Some users were still seeing screenshots that are automatically taken by the feedback tool turn out garbled or all black. Another potential fix for this is expected next week. 
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix. 
  • Sometimes the browser will appear to not respond to any user input (clicking or scrolling in webpages doesn’t do anything, hovering over UI doesn’t make it change), but clicking on certain buttons still works (like the … menu). The cause of this is due to an error in the GPU process, and opening the browser task manager (right-click near the window minimize/maximize/close buttons or hit shift+esc on the keyboard) will open a window that will allow you to end the GPU process, which will fix the issue. 

And now, for all of the new things that are worth noting: 

Added features:

• Added the ability for websites installed as apps to be restored when a browser session is restored after update, crash, etc.
  • Added support for an upstream Chromium policy that allows a user to remember a decision to open a link using another application (for example, to join a meeting in Microsoft Teams).
  • Added support for periods in single-word intranet URLs.
  • Added the ability to delete Collections items using the Delete keyboard key.
  • Added a dialog for when browser sign-in is disabled by policy.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge crashes shortly after launch for some users if sync is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking the back button crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where editing text in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed a browser crash when updating extensions.
  • Fixed an issue where using the built-in abusive ad blocker sometimes causes the browser to crash upon launch.
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites like YouTube rendered huge, making them unusable.
  • Fixed an issue where print preview does not load.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes don’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking on a PDF sometimes causes the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to certain webpages with videos causes the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows hang upon startup.
  • Fixed an issue where all Edge windows open completely white with no UI, but disabling Application Guard mitigates the issue.
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected videos don’t play.
  • Fixed an issue where certain protected videos like from Netflix don’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips don’t appear.
  • Improved the reliability of history and favorites items appearing in the address bar suggestions dropdown.
  • Improved the reliability of installation.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On stops working and users unexpectedly see a username/password prompt to log into websites.
  • Fixed an issue where two Edge shortcuts are sometimes on the Taskbar after an update.
  • Fixed an issue where Work profiles that were erroneously added to the browser were unremovable.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows open when the browser is launched even though they shouldn’t.
  • Fixed an issue where enabling Application Guard sometimes causes downloads to be blocked in non-Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience sometimes runs every time the browser is opened.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile Settings page has no way for the user to fix an issue with their browser sign-in when one is needed.
  • Fixed an issue where sync can’t be turned off while it’s in the “setting up” state.
  • Fixed an issue where certain UI buttons show $1 instead of their keyboard shortcut in their tooltip.
  • Fixed an issue where the favorites bar is shown when in full screen mode.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections content sometimes gets truncated.
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck squigglies appear in Collections items even though they aren’t actionable.
  • Fixed an issue where an incorrect image is used when adding certain webpages to a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the button to open the text styles flyout in a Collection sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where text styling in a Collection isn’t applied properly when using the keyboard to do the selection.
  • Fixed the text style dropdown when editing text in a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections contents sometimes can’t be deleted.
  • Fixed an issue where the cancel button isn’t functional in certain Collections dialogs.
  • Fixed some issues with the Mac Touch Bar when working with multiple tabs at the same time.
  • Fixed an issue where open tabs sometimes aren’t properly imported from Chrome.
  • Fixed an issue where extensions aren’t sorted by name on the Extensions management page.
  • Improved compatibility of certain websites with Tracking Prevention.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge shortcuts were created in the wrong location in the Start menu.

Thank you to everybody who’s been using Edge over the past year.  With our GA just around the corner, we hope you know that this is just the beginning of our journey.  The Edge Insider program and builds will continue even when there’s a Stable build available, and your feedback on them will be as crucial as ever! 

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I like the new Edge logo. I am happy that they are dropping the "e" logo.

Yes it will most likely lead to calls for IT, but the image is so bad of IE that I think it hurt Edge as well.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:28 PM, GoodBytes said:

I like the new Edge logo. I am happy that they are dropping the "e" logo.

Yes it will most likely lead to calls for IT, but the image is so bad of IE that I think it hurt Edge as well.

I am happy for change as well but 50/50 with the new logo...

The new edge will be publicly available January 15th so that is good to look forward to. I was still happy when is was known as Spartan... (I know, I will go back in my corner now). But for real this capitulating to use chromium in order to compete with Google is stupid honestly. MS fails imo, dropping windows mobile, dropping edge for chromium.. . whats next? anyhow back on topic.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 months later...

And it has now been released!

Still some features missing like Collections and sync of history. Hopefully they'll be availible soon.