Kotaku UK Accused of Racism After Trying to Accuse Nintendo, Super Smash Bros., and Persona 5 of Insulting Disabled People

Slurs Gang

Source: https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/04/19/kotaku-uk-accused-of-racism-after-trying-to-accuse-nintendo-super-smash-bros-and-persona-5-of-insulting-disabled-people/

2019.04.20-01.46-boundingintocomics-5cba

Kotaku UK has been accused of racism after publishing an article accusing Nintendo, Super Smash Bros., and Persona 5 of insulting disabled people.

Kotaku UK published an article by Laura Kate Dale on April 18th claiming that Nintendo’s “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s Persona 5 DLC includes a disability slur.”

Dale noted in her article that she believes she heard the word “retarded” on the record ‘Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There.’ The song is part of the Persona 5 sound track and was included on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC which allows Joker, the main protagonist in Persona 5, to be a playable character.

After being accused of racism, Dale would indicate that she had been prevented from commenting on the article on Twitter. She also noted that her article had been altered without her permission by her editor. She indicates this editing removed her doubt about the claims that the song included the word “retarded.”

2019.04.19-11.28-boundingintocomics-5cba

2019.04.19-11.28-boundingintocomics-5cba

Here is the song

This is the reason why we can't have nice things because people are easily get offended for stuff like this. Seriously though, what the fuck is this bullsh*t accusation to Nintendo, Super Smash Bros, and Persona 5?! It just a game and a music and yet people are easily get offended. People need to chill the fuck out and stop making themselves look completely asshoe over stuff like this. Sure, they might included some offended slurs but that doesn't mean it is racism. If you don't like it than don't play it, simple as that.

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

That whole thing sounds retarded.

That summarizes the world these days.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Disabled people aren’t a race of people. 

I'm not sure what's worse here.

The ableism or racism accusation. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

It's almost as if the media, who decries sexism/racism/bigotry at anything and everything they don't like, are in fact guilty of those same things in their accusations. They do not take the time to investigate and find the truth, but rather run with what will grab the most attention and later retract their claims or "correct" themselves, when no on is paying attention.

*cough*CNN*cough*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I cannot agree more with that sentiment.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just now, duncannah said:

Who's accusing?

Probably some sexist.

/s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

*cough* ethics in *cough* video game journalism *cough*

I don't think this belongs here.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Probably some sexist.

/s

Wow aren't you funny

🙂

This just in, Engrish pronunciations are now racist against disableds.

#Muricaparrotgang

Wow... I swear so much shit like this keeps happening to Laura K. All this flack could frankly just be from the ones who already hated her, for being transgender and having opinions. (Lord knows you can't have those on the Internet, even more so if you happen to not be "normal")

I've listened to the entire song without reading the lyrics and once more by reading the lyrics.

Never heard the word "retarded". 

But IMO, this sort of crap is common in songs. Many times did I think a song's lyric said one thing when listening to it but then I go and read the actual lyrics and I'm like "wait what? doesn't sound like that at all".

It all boils down to bad pronunciation, rhythm of the song, loudness of the music itself, etc...

Nothing racist here. Or what, is it classified as racist just because the singer happens to be Japanese? That doesn't change anything, just go listen to some of the most popular English songs right now and you'll find parts that are hard to understand/easily misunderstood just as much.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

People. The OP isn't implying that disabled people are a race. The OP is implying that Kotaku UK was accused of racism because a Japanese singer mangled pronunciation of an English word and they turned it into something about the song intentionally insulting disabled people because of the mangled pronunciation. Reading comprehension helps, yo.

1 hour ago, Slurs Gang said:

This is the reason why we can't have nice things because people are easily get offended for stuff like this. Seriously though, what the fuck is this bullsh*t accusation to Nintendo, Super Smash Bros, and Persona 5?! It just a game and a music and yet people are easily get offended. People need to chill the fuck out and stop making themselves look completely asshoe over stuff like this. Sure, they might included some offended slurs but that doesn't mean it is racism. If you don't like it than don't play it, simple as that.

You seem to be confused. Nintendo etc. are not being accused of racism, they're being accused of ableism for using the disability slur 'retarded'.

55 minutes ago, floofer said:

Disabled people aren’t a race of people. 

Nobody claimed they were.

18 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Ya hating someone for being Japanese would be ethnic bigotry which =/= racist.  Hating the singer for being Asian would be.   The only part of the song I heard where they might have misheard that was during some instrumental part, but even at that part you'd really have to be after it to even hear it.  It sounds like either a synth or someone plucking at strings.  There's no lyric that could be misheard and kotaku got the lyrics completely wrong, not just that line.  The part in question is around 1:31 I believe into the song, but to me that sounds more like string plucking.

No, it's at 1:57...

I won't say it's 100% clear they're singing "retarded" but it certainly sounds like it. It's corroborated by the following lyrics being "I can say it" - referring to the controversial nature of the word.

26 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Wow... I swear so much shit like this keeps happening to Laura K. All this flack could frankly just be from the ones who already hated her, for being transgender and having opinions. (Lord knows you can't have those on the Internet, even more so if you happen to not be "normal")

Yes. It "keeps happening" to her. Let's go with that. Not that she's a complete and total pathological liar. Rather that newsworthy stuff "keeps happening" to her.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

That part is played at 1:31, a few times in the 1:40s, and again there.

Not with the (same) lyrics.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I meant the string plucking which is the only thing I could hear that even sounds remotely closes to what the journalist implied.

Listen to the voice rather than the strings...

It's another case of poeple getting offended for a someone else. It sounds more like the Japanses singer is trying to say "Restart it", but people will be overly offended for others that they feel could be hurt and can't accept that they themselves are ableist/racist/sexist/etc.

1 hour ago, Slurs Gang said:

Seriously though, what the fuck is this bullsh*t accusation to Nintendo, Super Smash Bros, and Persona 5?!

She's a very bad person who lies to get clicks/advance her carrer.

Here more Information of what she's done in the past:

https://nichegamer.com/2019/04/19/opinion-the-questionable-ethics-of-laura-kate-dale/

In 2013 Laura K claimed she was “completely dehumanized” on stage during a live Xbox One event in London. Claiming that comedian Fraser Millward referred to her as “he,” “this one,” “it,” and “thing,” or as Laura phrased it in a Tweet: 

Source above.
That shows what a bad person she was/is...

Well, I hope they get rid of her.

But Its good to see that Kotaku is credibly accused of racism! 

What goes around comes around...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

22 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Listen to the voice rather than the strings...

You mean that Japanese people often suck with the use of the english language (German as well but IMO not as much since its not that much used these days).

We don't even know what was really said, nobody bothered to ask...

Just give them a break and don't assume ill intend from someone whose mother's tounge is as far from english as the moon is from Earth.

We would have the same Problems with Asian languages as they have with our languages as they are completely different and work in a completely different way.

Learning English as a German or Danish is like learning a different dialect compared to Japanese or Mandarin, Cantonese and so on.

A japanese person wouldn't get instantly offended when you botched "kawaii" and said something in the direction of "kowai".

Or rather "Onii-Chan" (big brother, young adult" vs. Oni-Chan (Demon)....

They might correct you though and tell you the difference.

Why can't we do the same and just ignore it and think "oh well, a non native speaker botched a word". And go on with our lives?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"