GIANT Phone Gaming! – Gemini Portable Monitor

James

One thing to note is that not all Type-C ports are equal. Some phones might have a Type-C ports but they only carries data and power, not the crucial display signal.

Plus, HDaRen't.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

32 minutes ago, SkyHound0202 said:

One thing to note is that not all Type-C ports are equal. Some phones might have a Type-C ports but they only carries data and power, not the crucial display signal.

Plus, HDaRen't.

Yep. I just found this out yesterday. Was about to buy a usb c to hdmi cable for my lg g6, but then read a review saying that doesn't work :/

Color me surprised.  

I was literally just looking for a second display and ran across the Gemini. Then I load up youtube and see Linus's video on it. Coincidence? I think not.

BTW I've used the ASUS MB168 (not the 168+, which is an IPS 1080p, this is a TN 720-ishp). It's not the best thing in the world and I wish more laptop manufacturers made better 13 inch displays for people like me.  

I'm really interested in the Gemini since it's touchscreen, but I don't know how helpful the battery will be. Some people will love it, but when I'm working with a second display, I'm always plugged in and charging anyways. I'd much rather have a thinner, lighter, and cheaper monitor instead of a bulkier, heavier, and more expensive one with the battery.

This is my unapologetic request for anyone in this thread who's looking to sell their monitor - I'm listening. 

I love the idea of portable displays but I kinda struggle to find the use case. The only thing I can really think of that'd work for me is taking it on holidays for media consumption. The bit in this video where they were playing mobile games in particular looked pretty compelling.....

But then I remembered that:

1. I have a small tablet for this purpose

2. Pretty much all holiday destinations have a TV with a free HDMI anyways

3. I have a Switch which is FAR more compelling for portable gaming than a phone connected to a screen

..... now if I was into camping? Then sure. If I was always on the road? Then sure. But it's a hard sell anyways

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Raspberry pi would go good the 1080p touch screen one.

@James have you tried using chromecast yet ? It's really cool if it's wireless 

What I am quite interested in is compairing this to an Android tablet that is running an app to let you use it as a second monitor. Obviously this is going to be better for gaming but for productivity and being able to use a device that some people might already have lieing around there house it could be a good shot

22 hours ago, James said:

Buy portable monitors on Amazon: https://geni.us/qaT9

Take advantage of a two-monitor setup even when you’re on the go with these portable monitors that also act as battery banks!

:o

Can you review the Miraxess Mirabook too? It's the closest thing to Project Linda on the market right now.

Image result for miraxess backerkit

Mirabook-Specs.jpg

List of devices currently supported by Mirabook (full list of desktop-mode capable smartphones)

Spoiler

• Acer Liquid Jade
  • Alcatel Idol Pro 4
  • Asus Zenfone 3 Ultra
  • Essential Phone PH-1
  • HP Elite X3
  • HTC 10
  • HTC U11
  • HTC U Ultra
  • Hwawei Mate 10/10 Pro
  • Hwawei Mate 20/20 Pro/20 X*
  • Hwawei P20/P20 Pro
  • LG G5
  • LG V20
  • LG V30
  • LG V34
  • Microsoft Lumia 950/950XL
  • Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+
  • Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+
  • Samsung Galaxy S10/S10+*
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 9
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10*
  • Samsung Galaxy Fold*
  • Razer Phone
  • ROG Phone*
  • [LaptopMag Hands-on Review]
  • [TechRadar Hands-on Review]

*technically ~ but not officially (support likely in the near future)

•  

From the official site"Please notice here: We are working on a Display Port adapter to make any usb type-c devices compatible."

Additional images:

Spoiler

knPjGEtMLUBSjv2cLv8pFE-970-80.jpg

Dk-184ZWwAAdejw.jpg

image.jpeg.b0c747f18cce0e72106b8d96e7080ed7.jpeg

image.jpeg

Rose-Quartz.jpg?v=1514952828miraxess.png

Mirabook-660x353.png

On 4/22/2019 at 2:39 PM, Lileso said:

What I am quite interested in is compairing this to an Android tablet that is running an app to let you use it as a second monitor. Obviously this is going to be better for gaming but for productivity and being able to use a device that some people might already have lieing around there house it could be a good shot

I have tried to make that work, but I haven't found any good solution that I'd be willing to invest in.

That said, if LTT makes a video outlaying the options, I'd be very interested :) .

I've pre-ordered this monitor from the big green button on their Kickstarter, but then decided to cancel the order. Their support email confirmed request being received but I've not heard from them for 8 days. Looks like I won't be getting my money back as we don't have chargebacks where I live :(

On 4/30/2019 at 12:37 PM, Freeman said:

I have tried to make that work, but I haven't found any good solution that I'd be willing to invest in.

That said, if LTT makes a video outlaying the options, I'd be very interested :) .

It's so interesting I understand that it's never going to be as smooth as a monitor but I do think it's a possible future for these devices

I miss a much better script.

This kind of product can be found at affordable prices since 2017

AOC I1601FWUX 15.6" Full HD IPS  159 € in Amazon Spain. (without battery, but you can use a power bank)

And not only are better than tablets, they are cheaper and the battery last more - 2h playing in my cheap tablets -

as your phone usually have better performance, and you renew it more often

You would be able to make - and still can - some phone battery benchmarks playing without the phone screen use vs with the phone screen use. And as the screen is battery hungry, probably you can play more than twice with your phone.

And some price benchmark between buying a new good tablet each 2 years or this, that perhaps last 3 o more years in good shape.

Also I would like so see a Raspebrry Pi vs a Pine64 and some other boards or TV Boxes android and liGNUx compatibles  attached to this screens, with tape or velcro  and have some benchmark between the few models available, from ASUS and AOC Even some NUC or Mac Mini that would be powered by affordable and portable 20A power banks 

ASUS MB169B 223 € without battery and  MB16AP 344 € .

What I wrote, same product review, more thinking and writing.

And it is always funny and interesting - great mix - to watch you, but everything can be improved a bit.

PS: Thanks  a lot your video discovered me this kind of products, I did search before not finding them so cheap and I will never buy a tablet any more.

I have just had other idea: DIY How to recycle an old tablet to this kind of device - if it is possible - .