[Rumour?] Huawei P30 Pro "fakes" moon photos automatically?

BananaInSandals

Source (in Chinese)

A Weibo post quoted in the source

北京「愛否科技」一名主筆上周拍片質疑P30 Pro拍攝月亮時涉嫌「P圖」(利用Photoshop修圖),甚至把貼在月亮上的內褲圖案修改成月球環形山模樣。愛否科技之後發表聲明,稱華為是「通過優秀算法」得到更多照片細節,批評該主筆誤導觀眾,「給整個行業造成了不良影響」,決定即時解僱他。

Beijin tech channel FView' writer uploaded a vidoe last week questioning P30 Pro's "Photoshop" the picture whenever using the phone to take moon pictures, even replacing the underwear picture, which has been manually replaced the Lunar Crater, with the Lunar Crater. FView later released a statement claiming that Huawei has used "advance calculations" to add more details to the pictures. The statement also criticized the writer for misleading the viewers and "brought bad influence to the industry". The writer has been fired.

內地《觀察者網》周五(19日)報道,王躍琨被解僱後,有內地網民多番測試華為P30 Pro拍攝功能,發現手機拍攝月亮時有「『無中生有』的能力」,甚至把外形像月亮的冥王星圖片,以及放在圓形外框中的《出師表》都「拍」成「月亮」

After its report on Friday (19th) and the dismissal of the writer, PRC netizens has tested P30 Pro's photo shooting capability and discovered that the moon "enhancement" to be true. It even "enhanced" Pluto, which shape like the moon, and Chu Shi Biao, a famous ancient Chinese literature, in a circular frame into "moon".

5164b06bbec336a4a6322b7867f1b107.jpg

Right: the alleged (former) writer

Up left: Huawei's promo pic

Bottom left: Original picture with an underwear superimposed on the moon

Bottom middle: alleged "enhanced" photo when using P30 Pro to shoot the underwear moon pic

707e96d5ly4g27qpbb03fj20k006oaae.jpg

Left: Chu Shi Biao in a circular frame

Middle: blurred imaged alleged to be used as the original pic

Right: the alleged "enhanced" picture by P30 Pro

Personal thought:

Personally can't verify if this is true or not. But if it's true, this is some major bull crap they've pulled. Imagine taking a photo of your kid with a Thomas the Tank engine model and Thomas' face becomes the moon surface... That'll be really creepy. 

If LTT has a review sample, maybe try this out and let us know if this is (still) true. Would be really funny if a moon pic with a dickbutt superimposed or a blurred Linus butt pic ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) becomes a nice normal moon pic.

It's Huawei. Their entire business model is based off of lies ?‍♂️

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Huawei are cheap and nasty anyway. Surprised this is a feature.

Honestly, I'm not really surprised.

If this is from the automatic "AI" mode, most phone cameras with that "feature" do bullshit like this anyhow, especially the "beauty" skin effect.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Damn people here really dont like Huawei, honestly it just seems like the AI messed up, seems like a fringe case to me.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Colour correction error (and auto bokeh) turns into conspiracy theory and racist bashing.

OH I love this planet.

Though IMO auto bokeh is the spawn of the devil.

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Colour correction error (and auto bokeh) turns into conspiracy theory and racist bashing.

OH I love this planet.

Though IMO auto bokeh is the spawn of the devil.

Companies are a race now?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Auto modes in digital cameras, more so in consumer models and phone cameras, have been doing "enhance that" since forever. Not necessarily picking the moon as a specific subject up to now. It's a matter of how much software you want to write to detect and optimise for target subject cases. As they get more prolific in options, there is increased risk of false detection and inappropriate processing.

Also I misread the last bit of text as Char Siu Bao. Someone take a photo of one of those on the phone and see if it also turns that into the moon :D 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

Right: the alleged "enhanced" picture by P30 Pro

then this is all bullshit then. pretty sure everyone knows that you can't take a picture like something on the right, "enhance" it and get a perfectly clear image like on the left.

The underwear is also one hell of a stretch...

oh right Huawei bad rrrrbrhrhhrgrgrhrgh

Huawei had done some stupid shit in the past, but this is the most flimsy "proof" to bash on the company.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

5 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's Huawei. Their entire business model is based off of lies ?‍♂️

said by a apple fan...

i think the whole Huawei problem is blown up

supermicro had literal spychips, nokia sent data to china, but those get in the news like once

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

nokia sent data to china

Huawei is co-owned by the Chinese Government. That’s how most, if not all, communist “corporations” operate. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Huawei is co-owned by the Chinese Government. That’s how most, if not all, communist “corporations” operate. 

source?

43 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

source?

It's conjecture based of what little we know of Huawei's ownership, which isn't much once you get to "trade union committee"
https://www.gizmochina.com/2019/04/19/huawei-not-owned-by-its-employees-state-ownership-likely-research-paper/

It certainly wouldn't be a surprise with how tightly the CCP tries to control everything within China.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

To be fair though, that's not exactly why governments and such are concerned about Huawei. It's not that. It's that every Chinese corporation has to cooperate with the government when requested; whether they're privately owned, or owned by the government. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's that every Chinese corporation has to cooperate with the government when requested; whether they're privately owned, or owned by the government.

Now this I can see as a valid concern more so than everyone screaming "It'S OwnED BY THe ChIneSE GOvErnMEnt"

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

To be fair though, that's not exactly why governments and such are concerned about Huawei. It's not that. It's that every Chinese corporation has to cooperate with the government when requested; whether they're privately owned, or owned by the government. 

Which is also true for US companies. If requested they have to comply. Nothing new, nothing Chinese-specific. 

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

18 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

No, but some people only bash companies of a certain race. ;)

this unnecessary Huawei bashing seems really stupid to me.personally stock/custom ROM guy but their software does work great (my friend's phone). idk why people go crazy with brand loyalty. one plus,Nokia, etc caught sending data but no Huawei is dangerous. until any proof is provided ill have to assume it's done to keep Huawei out of 5g infrastructure since its a Chinese company.

21 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Well, an argument could be made for certain companies exclusively employing one ethnic group over another.

Lookin at you McDonalds.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As I person who were following the incident on Chinese forum for the past few days, I'd like to share some popular opinions & test results in Chinese tech community.

1. Huawei clearly uses a trained AI model in the moon mode, but the AI is trained well so that it won't pop up when you are shooting other things. Trained AI model is very hard to fool.

2. The "underwear" photo is a scam, it's just an out-focused photo, the result cannot be reproduced.

3. More tests are taken these days, according to these tests, the P30(pro) IS adding more moon detail when it's shooting photoshopped moon pictures, and it's ONLY-TRIGGERED when you are shooting moon, it won't trigger even when you are shooting bright circles in an dark environment.

4. It is NOT faking a moon picture thru photoshop, the phone uses the results of you actually shoot, and uses an algorism to make the photo look better. This is very common nowadays, every phone company does the same thing. This is how Pixel 3 can shoot amazing photo with it's dark mode. 

The discussion is already over in the chinese tech community, and our conclusion is: YES, Huawei IS adding more moon details to the picture, but it's nothing new in the phone business.  

I get that NA people don't like Huawei, same as your government. But there's really no reason to BS everytime you see the word "Huawei".