Stop buying bad audio equipment.. there is no excuse no more!

7Hertz

I was one of those who thought 700+watts means it sounds great and that i had a good system because it has 4 speakers and some subwoofer.. oh boy how wrong i was.

Now let us just look at what i had previously.

This..

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mini-micro-systems-mhc-series/mhc-gt444

Then i found for £25 a DENON receiver (it's old but really powerful and does it's rated power at 0.7%THD vs Sony at 10% THD)

DENON AVR 1906.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avr1906

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-AVR-1906-Home-Cinema-Theatre-7-1-Channel-AV-Surround-Receiver-inc-Warranty/192890275076?hash=item2ce9280504:g:Wi8AAOSwRJNctFI4&frcectupt=true

I have DENON SC-F103 speakers which are very hard to get since they came originally as a set for a Hi-Fi for £900 but there are options.

Take into account the 1906 is 115 watts @ 6OHMS x7 so roughly 600 watts of total power and you can bridge outputs if you know what you are doing, i do not need to do this since the F103's are 120watts rated @ 6OHM's and the AMP will deliver more than 115 watts at 1 channel 6OHM through dynamic power (musical)

Speakers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENON-SC-F109-Kirsche-NEU-2-Wege-Bassreflex-Regallautsprecher-Paar/273758698825?hash=item3fbd4a3d49:g:fAUAAOSw4ARciNeU&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Denon-SC-E313-Stand-Mount-Stereo-Separate-Main-Speakers-100W-Cherry-Red-8ohms/173877777062?hash=item287bec52a6:g:2h0AAOSwpZpcsyrv

I got a major killer deal and i can literally sit like a fat chump who won the lottery because £25 for that receiver is a stupidly good find and £60 for the speakers is insane.

Picture of setup... TV looks tiny but it's 40 inch.

4OuXal4.jpg

This is an upgrade like no other over the Sony MHC-GT444... it's literally a whole other world of sound.

Yes the Sony played loud but horribly...

This plays loud with crystal clear clarity and it takes ALL OF IT withiut no clipping or any distortion, i can bring down my neighbour's wall in style.

EDIT power ratings were slightly off, rated for 85 watts 8 OHM and 115 6OHM per channel.

There was a day (back before most of you were born) when more power did give a better sound. Amps tended to get distortion and clipping after half to 3/4 volume so people would get larger amps so they could let them loaf while still getting the volume they wanted.

I used to put attenuators in the lines between the amp and the speakers to mask the slight hum and hiss at low volumes that came from tube amps of the time. This allowed cranking up the amp to bury the hum and hiss without playing the speakers too loud.

There also was a time when, the bigger the speaker was, the better it was. Now, you can get much better sound from smaller speakers than the old monsters had.

Setting up a quality system is so much simpler now than it used to be.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

sony have been only good back in the 80's and 90's and had a space were they did't really make good audio equipment. as or recently though they have been making some great high end dac amps  audio players, iems and headphones. their speakers have ever really been the best. but i hear brands like denon and klipsch are just great a making speakers. Im more of headphone guy and know denon through their great  headphones. 

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

sony have been only good back in the 80's and 90's and had a space were they did't really make good audio equipment. as or recently though they have been making some great high end dac amps  audio players, iems and headphones. their speakers have ever really been the best. but i hear brands like denon and klipsch are just great a making speakers. Im more of headphone guy and know denon through their great  headphones. 

Sony have some speakers for 27k each lol.. They also made some electrostatic speakers back in the day which for some reason i really want a pair, ive got two really old bookshelf speakers from sony which are just so holographic in the soundstage they produce, they literally dissapear on vinyl, have a look at these: http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/ar-speakers/SS-AR1.php

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Sony have some speakers for 27k each lol.. They also made some electrostatic speakers back in the day which for some reason i really want a pair, ive got two really old bookshelf speakers from sony which are just so holographic in the soundstage they produce, they literally dissapear on vinyl, have a look at these: http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/ar-speakers/SS-AR1.php

Damn dude

Just now, rice guru said:

Damn dude

They make some pretty high end stuff but they hide it.. they make all the cheap crap for the younger people who want party speakers but then they make some audiophile stuff, reminds me of LG

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

Just now, Derkoli said:

They make some pretty high end stuff but they hide it.. they make all the cheap crap for the younger people who want party speakers but then they make some audiophile stuff, reminds me of LG

True ive seen a lot of their high end "portable " dac amps a while ago.  But they make a lot of cheap good stuff too nowadays especially in the headphone and iem world. But every time I looked I to speakers yeah they were always not very good consumer grade stuff. Like soundbars o just assumed they didn't make hook speakers anymore

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

True ive seen a lot of their high end "portable " dac amps a while ago.  But they make a lot of cheap good stuff too nowadays especially in the headphone and iem world. But every time I looked I to speakers yeah they were always not very good consumer grade stuff. Like soundbars o just assumed they didn't make hook speakers anymore

My girlfriends dad has a pair of sony speakers for their cinema room, just bookshelfs on stands running off a yamaha receiver i believe.. i really wanna give some larger sony speakers a listen because if they're better then the bookshelfs i have from them i want a pair Asap.

32 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

That is crazy! They have to sound good for such a large entry fee.

I did think it was only dependent on the store bought rubbish people normally buy and that is basically what i did at the time. I never said Sony was terrible, just they make some really cheap badly designed audio equipment that should be considered only if it is the only system left on earth maybe..

Also anyone else got a ban notification for evading a ban? i was banned for 5 minutes then i came back to try and log out and here i am, able to type and stuff.

3 minutes ago, 7Hertz said:

That is crazy! They have to sound good for such a large entry fee.

I did think it was only dependent on the store bought rubbish people normally buy and that is basically what i did at the time. I never said Sony was terrible, just they make some really cheap badly designed audio equipment that should be considered only if it is the only system left on earth maybe..

Also anyone else got a ban notification for evading a ban? i was banned for 5 minutes then i came back to try and log out and here i am, able to type and stuff.

27k is pretty cheap for audiophile speakers.. have a look at mcintosh or ps audio's listening room speakers.. like 300k for a pair lol

20 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

27k is pretty cheap for audiophile speakers.. have a look at mcintosh or ps audio's listening room speakers.. like 300k for a pair lol

The only problem with Denon speakers is that their model lines look almost identical at first look.

These are the FC-102's and they are a lot smaller than the FC-103's i have.

These sound nice and clear, they seem to be using the same tweeter, but they lack the drive behind it. I don't need a sub-woofer is all i can say, the main driver is much larger in the FC-103 speakers.

Just now, 7Hertz said:

The only problem with Denon speakers is that their model lines look almost identical at first look.

These are the FC-102's and they are a lot smaller than the FC-103's i have.

These sound nice and clear, they seem to be using the same tweeter, but they lack the drive behind it. I don't need a sub-woofer is all i can say, the main driver is much larger in the FC-103 speakers.

Tbf alot of companies do this, yamaha in particular with their powered monitors, the same speaker just a larger cabinet and a larger woofer..

3 hours ago, rice guru said:

A listen to my setup at just over a quarter volume up. No EQ applied.

Original track.

Using an external mic.

38 minutes ago, 7Hertz said:

A listen to my setup at just over a quarter volume up. No EQ applied.

Original track.

Using an external mic.

2019-04-20 18-14-42.flv

More of a response to your first post I dont know if you just dont have the room but you should really separate your speakers more they are way to close together your hurting the imaging.  A simple rule is to have your speakers spaced apart about the distance you would sit from the monitor/tv think about making an equal sided triangle.

12 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

More of a response to your first post I dont know if you just dont have the room but you should really separate your speakers more they are way to close together your hurting the imaging.  A simple rule is to have your speakers spaced apart about the distance you would sit from the monitor/tv think about making an equal sided triangle.

Yes i do agree, there will be more space eventually once i move out into a new place, everything is cramped, but workable for now.

With speakers, sony is considered a mainstream brand or at least the majority of their products but they are good enough for almost everyone

speakers get really expensive but then again, you most likely wont need anymore than $5K KEF floorstanding speakers

23 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Also getting them away from the walls would really help.

16 hours ago, xtroria said:

With speakers, sony is considered a mainstream brand or at least the majority of their products but they are good enough for almost everyone

speakers get really expensive but then again, you most likely wont need anymore than $5K KEF floorstanding speakers

Lol, i see a point with getting more expensive speakers, i was considering something from dynaudio like the confidence 60's and a mcintosh integrated amp, and i think the most expensive kefs are the kef muons, but the Q series are supposed to be really good, high end audio can very expensive very quickly, but i think the lower mid range (2k-5k systems) need more options, i think the beginner systems (500 ish) have tonnes of options from pioneer and polk and the such.

With home audio there is such a massive spread between low end and top end that its almost mind boggling. You can by entire 5 speakers set ups with a sub and receiver for 99$ if you look around, or you can look at speakers from sonus, wilson, Steinway or Tidal and easily be into deep 6 figures, and thats just to name a few of the brands out there making this stuff. Its all about Return on Investment for most people though. Does a 500 dollar pair of speakers sound half as good as a $1000 pair, possibly, does a $500,000 pair sound 100 times better than a $5000 pair of speakers to the majority of the customers out there, no chance in hell. I've auditioned a fair number of really high end speakers from working in a related business for almost 20 years and knowing some high end dealers (300k plus speakers and what not) and while I appreciate those speakers for the sound and quite frankly for the art that a lot of them are, you arent buying them solely because you want good sound, its also a status symbol in their community to have stuff your buddy just doesn't have or cant afford

1 hour ago, Ravendarat said:

With home audio there is such a massive spread between low end and top end that its almost mind boggling. You can by entire 5 speakers set ups with a sub and receiver for 99$ if you look around, or you can look at speakers from sonus, wilson, Steinway or Tidal and easily be into deep 6 figures, and thats just to name a few of the brands out there making this stuff. Its all about Return on Investment for most people though. Does a 500 dollar pair of speakers sound half as good as a $1000 pair, possibly, does a $500,000 pair sound 100 times better than a $5000 pair of speakers to the majority of the customers out there, no chance in hell. I've auditioned a fair number of really high end speakers from working in a related business for almost 20 years and knowing some high end dealers (300k plus speakers and what not) and while I appreciate those speakers for the sound and quite frankly for the art that a lot of them are, you arent buying them solely because you want good sound, its also a status symbol in their community to have stuff your buddy just doesn't have or cant afford

Yep... audio defo has diminishing returns above about 1k to 1.5k ish