Flagship parts...don't care about cost

Hello,

Last time I bought a PC was my 11in Alienware Laptop back in 2009 or so. I don't know much about building a PC...was gonna go with a PC Builder like Maingear of Falcon Northwest but figure building it myself...I can get better parts of the same money. I started researching online..found Linus (I'm from Vancity), JayTwoCents, Bitwit, HardwareCanucks...the Verge ?...

Building a PC doesn't seem too difficult...I have friends that have built pc's before and youtube how to's. I have enjoyed DYI recently on other tasks I have done.

I don't really care about cost. I plan to game, watch movies, render videos for a possible YouTube channel I'm thinking about doing...plus all the other normal stuff.

I'm not interested in AIO or liquid cooling...I prefer fan only. I would like it to be as quiet as possible, have good thermals, preferably power efficient when idle, when doing normal tasks, when rendering, and then whatever load happens when gaming at max settings.

This is what I've researched and intend to purchase...I've definitely learned a lot the last couple of weeks. I also am open to AMD Ryzen...so this might change if I go with Ryzen. If you have a Ryzen build with flagship parts like best mobo...please let me know. I didn't look into Ryzen but read a new chip is coming out soon.

The parts:

Case: Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic (Black)

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 8 core

Heat Sink: Noctua NH-U12A

Case Fans: Noctua NF-A12x25 120mm 4-pin PWM fans (probably like 9 fans...3 side, 3 bottom, 2 top and 1 back...I'll configure it for good airflow)

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 GODLIKE 

RAM: 32gb (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 MHz. (doesn't have to be RGB)

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 11 GB GDDR6

Hard drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

Storage: Samsung 860 Pro V-Nand 1TB SSD SATA SSD

Power Supply (PSU): EVGA Supernova 750 G3, 80 plus gold

Monitor: Dell Alienware 1900R 34.1 curved monitor. Must be G-Sync tho.

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Steelseries Rival 600 Gaming Mouse

----------

Anyway...I would really appreciate any comments...if there are problems with the parts or compatibility issues. I don't plan to buy in a month or two. Also, if any of the hardware have issues...quality issues, etc...please let me know.

Some areas I think could be different are the power supply...not sure how much power I need...I used online calculator. 

Also the M.2 drive...I could go with 512 GB...using it mainly for operating system, video editing, and storing important files like documents. The 2.5 SSD for games and general storage.

Thanks...I really appreciate any input.

Toasted_Oats

------------

PS. 

I went to PC Part Picker and had this "Compatibility Note" (curious if that is a concern or what it means...does that mean if I were to buy three M.2 SSDs, I cannot have three 2.5 SSDs in exchange?)

The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.

The motherboard M.2 slot #3 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated with a PCIe-based M.2 drive, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled.

-----------

26 minutes ago, Toasted_Oats said:

Also the M.2 drive...I could go with 512 GB...using it mainly for operating system, video editing, and storing important files like documents. The 2.5 SSD for games and general storage.

Why not just get one 2tb nvme drive? Faster and easier to manage.

The compatibility note just means that some of the SATA ports are disabled, depending on which M.2 slots are occupied. The Z390 Godlike has 6, so you should be fine either way. Just know that PCPP occasionally gets that kind of stuff wrong, so check with the motherboard's manual. You can find the manual on MSI's site. The information about combining M.2, U.2 and SATA is on page 40-41 in the English version of the manual. 

I know some versions of some RTX cards had issues with part of their VRM. I think the issues are fixed by now, so you should be fine with that. 

Using an NVMe drive for the OS won't improve boot times. Use it for tasks that actually require reading and writing large files. IE, for things like video editing. 

If you store important documents, you may want to consider RAID 1 or RAID 5. 

The PSU is loud, has issues with its protections, and lacks multi rail. The PC should consume ~350W under a gaming load, so a good 550-650W PSU is plenty. 

From looking at the prices on PCPP US, the Whisper M 750W looks okay. 450RPM on the fan up to 450W, and otherwise good too. You can use Corsair Type 4 cables on it, if you decide to get aftermarket cables. 

Not sure if the K95 Platinum makes sense. Crappy, laser ablated keycaps, non standard bottom row, and only Cherry switches. The GMMK is a fairly popular hot swappable option, if you need a numpad. Otherwise, there are a bunch of other options, if you don't need a numpad, especially if you're fine with simple through hole soldering. 

:)

It would have been helpful if you had pasted the pcpartpicker hyperlink or, better yet used the [bb] button and pasted the result.

The cpu cooler is suboptimal. I'd suggest something like the Dark Rock Pro 4.

If you want quiet operation I'd suggest a case intended for such builds. The three stock fans should be sufficient to establish decent airflow through the case, especially given the assist of the cpu cooler.

As has been suggested, may as well get a 2TB NVMe M.2 drive. It simplifies storage management and offer better general storage performance.

Consider the MSI "flagship" gpu. In addition to excellent out of the box performance it has good oc potential. It also has motherboard compatible lighting.

Given the cpu and gpu power draw potential, an 850W psu makes sense.

A top-end gaming cpu and gpu deserve a high-end gsync monitor.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($648.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($119.90 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace) 
Motherboard: MSI - MEG Z390 GODLIKE EATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($749.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($419.00 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($767.75 @ shopRBC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB LIGHTNING Z Video Card  ($2099.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R6 USB-C Blackout - TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($226.00 @ Vuugo) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($194.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($189.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Monitor: Asus - ROG SWIFT PG27UQ 27.0" 3840x2160 144 Hz Monitor  ($2398.99 @ Powertop) 
Keyboard: Corsair - K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($243.92 @ Amazon Canada) 
Mouse: SteelSeries - Rival 600 Wired Optical Mouse  ($99.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Total: $8159.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-21 00:34 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

8 hours ago, Toasted_Oats said:

I don't really care about cost.

Finally, I am unleashed:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9980XE 3 GHz 18-Core Processor $2591.99 @ PC-Canada
CPU Cooler be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $119.90 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace
Motherboard Gigabyte - X299 DESIGNARE EX ATX LGA2066 Motherboard $624.99 @ Memory Express
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 128 GB (8 x 16 GB) DDR4-4000 Memory $2526.00 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $432.75 @ shopRBC
Storage Seagate - Enterprise Capacity 12 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $902.88 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace
Video Card NVIDIA - TITAN RTX 24 GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $3324.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card NVIDIA - TITAN RTX 24 GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $3324.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Corsair - Obsidian Series 1000D ATX Full Tower Case $432.33 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply Corsair - 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $509.99 @ Canada Computers
Monitor Dell - UP3218K 31.5" 7680x4320 60 Hz Monitor $5999.99 @ Amazon Canada
Keyboard G.Skill - Ripjaws KM780 MX Wired Gaming Keyboard $289.99 @ Amazon Canada
Mouse Asus - ROG Spatha Wireless Laser Mouse $191.72 @ Amazon Canada
Speakers Audioengine - A5+ Black 100 W 2ch Speakers $529.00 @ Canada Computers
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $28697.00
  Mail-in rebates -$30.00
  Total $28667.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 04:38 EDT-0400  

7 hours ago, jerubedo said:

Finally, I am unleashed

You just sorted by highest price?

:)

38 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Finally I am unleashed! ROTFLMAO ?

But really, jerubedo knows his stuff. He's thinking that he (or maybe you) is (are) Bill Gates right now.

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not just get one 2tb nvme drive? Faster and easier to manage.

Definitely not! You need one drive for your OS and programs and a separate drive for your data (videos, photos, documents, etc.) You'll understand if you ever have to fresh install Windows due to corruption. It also makes backing up your date easier. A 500 GB C-Drive would probably be plenty though, unless you have a large library of games to put on it.

The Noctua U12A is a step below the D15 and not as quiet as the D15, U14s or D15s. The Dark Rock Pro 4 is also an excellent, quiet cooler.

You can turn them way down to an extent, but generally more fans results in higher airflow, more noise, and more dust. In that case and with that CPU and GPU, I would try 3 x 120 A12 x 25 on the bottom and two A14 PWM (or 3 x 120's if you like the look better) on the top. You can add the side fans later if needed.

You need 600 watts for that build, so a 650W like the EVGA platinum would be perfect, but 750 watts is OK but less efficient at low power levels.

That case is really made for water cooling, though I think you could make air cooling work in it. Maybe consider a Fractal R6 or a Be Quiet case.

44 minutes ago, Bearmann said:

Definitely not! You need one drive for your OS and programs and a separate drive for your data (videos, photos, documents, etc.) You'll understand if you ever have to fresh install Windows due to corruption. It also makes backing up your date easier. A 500 GB C-Drive would probably be plenty though, unless you have a large library of games to put on it.

I have a single drive and im fine. If there ever is a issue, I just restore backups of all these files. Really, single drive is easier to work with. Or just store everything on the cloud or network system.

2 hours ago, seon123 said:

No, almost none of those parts are the most expensive ones. 

For reference, I THINK this is the most expensive you can get:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.2 GHz 22-Core OEM/Tray Processor $7209.00 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace
CPU Intel - Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.2 GHz 22-Core OEM/Tray Processor $7209.00 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace
CPU Cooler Asus - ROG Ryujin 240 RGB AIO 121.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $292.99 @ PC-Canada
CPU Cooler Asus - ROG Ryujin 240 RGB AIO 121.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $292.99 @ PC-Canada
Motherboard Asus - Z10PE-D8 WS SSI EEB Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard $766.37 @ Amazon Canada
Memory Crucial - 64 GB (1 x 64 GB) Registered DDR4-2666 Memory $1139.00 @ Newegg Canada
Memory Crucial - 64 GB (1 x 64 GB) Registered DDR4-2666 Memory $1139.00 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Intel - DC P3608 1.6 TB PCI-E Solid State Drive $16253.48 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Intel - DC P3608 1.6 TB PCI-E Solid State Drive $16253.48 @ Amazon Canada
Video Card PNY - Quadro M6000 24 GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $6400.00 @ Amazon Canada
Video Card PNY - Quadro M6000 24 GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $6400.00 @ Amazon Canada
Case Corsair - Obsidian Series 1000D ATX Full Tower Case $432.33 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA T2 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $628.52 @ Amazon Canada
Keyboard Evoluent - KB1 Wired Standard Keyboard $750.45 @ Amazon Canada
Mouse Logitech - G303 Daedalus Apex Wired Optical Mouse $697.99 @ Amazon Canada
Speakers Klipsch - R-51PM 120 W 2ch Speakers $749.00 @ Amazon Canada
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $134208.02
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-20 13:49 EDT-0400  

21 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I have a single drive and im fine. If there ever is a issue, I just restore backups of all these files. Really, single drive is easier to work with. Or just store everything on the cloud or network system.

I wouldn't do it, but everybody has their own way of doing things.

Install OS on an SSD, and point your user directory to the root of a secondary drive, be it another SSD or an SSHD. No issue if an OS re-install is needed as all you do is point the user home to the other drive and you're back where you were (after installing applications that is).

8 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Install OS on an SSD, and point your user directory to the root of a secondary drive, be it another SSD or an SSHD. No issue if an OS re-install is needed as all you do is point the user home to the other drive and you're back where you were (after installing applications that is).

I don't understand what you are saying. Can you give me a link for further explanation?

6 hours ago, Bearmann said:

I don't understand what you are saying. Can you give me a link for further explanation?

In windows if you right click on the quick shortcuts to Desktop, Downloads, Documents and pictures, you go to the location tab and can move the directory to another drive. That way all your D's and P's are stored on another drive and safe in the event of Windows craping itself.

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

In windows if you right click on the quick shortcuts to Desktop, Downloads, Documents and pictures, you go to the location tab and can move the directory to another drive. That way all your D's and P's are stored on another drive and safe in the event of Windows craping itself.

Oh, yes. I do that now. The terms user directory and root directory had me confused. Thanks!

Thanks for the input...especially PSU, the dark rock pro cooler and the case suggestions. 

I'm not set on Lian Li but it's gotten a lot of good reviews...didn't think it's more specific to water cooling...

The keyboard and mouse are up in the air...gonna look for more info.

I really appreciate the input. 

Gonna have to research some more.