Make ANY PC Into a Hackintosh!

nicklmg

Hey gang, I got to the part where I install MacOS in virtual machine manager but I'm getting this message within Virtual machine manager "graphical console not configured for guest"  So I can't see whats going on.  Anyone else facing this?

On 4/25/2019 at 7:49 AM, ibbyss said:

After Typing "virsh define osx_i440fx.xml" my VM wont show up in Virtual Machine manger?? Help

try sudo before your virsh command

On 4/22/2019 at 6:26 AM, ZenecadE said:

Doesn't work for me either.  After virsh define hackintosh.xml, nothing shows in VMM.  I see a few people have this issue.  Can someone with more experience assist us plz? 

Typing virsh list --all shows the the VM has imported but forcing it to connect results in error: failed to connect to the hypervisor and error: no connection driver available for URI 'hackintosh' does not include a driver name.

I tried running Native and despite numerous attempts, I cannot get the system to boot.  This is the only PC I have tried to hacintosh that I simply cannot come right with.  I did get Mojave to work but my album designer is incompatible with it so I need an older macOS.  ballz :(

In my case I had to run the command you're referring to as sudo

when I click "Boot MacOS install" I see "MF: Only 246/256 slide values are usable!"

Anyone else resolved this?

On 4/20/2019 at 10:53 PM, SkOrPn said:

I'm not really interested in doing this with macOS, however I am interested in knowing how this same idea would work with Windows 10 Pro as guest and if my current license would be transferable into the guest OS.

Also, during the video Linus said macOS was super slow/laggy since they did not have the drivers installed for the GPU. Would this also be the case for a Windows 10 guest NOT using pass through mode? 

My system is a B350 board (asrock) and a Ryzen 5 2600X. I have 16GB ram at 3200Mhz and a Samsung 960 Pro 256gb split between two OS's. GPU is a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X. I am currently in dual boot between Windows 10 Pro and Manjaro KDE, but would like to try Manjaro XFCE (its lighter) with Windows 10 as guest OS. BUT, I would ONLY do this if the performance absolutely feels like its on bare metal. I use Windows 10 for gaming. Is it true that the performance feels at least 98% as good as bare metal installs? In other words if I was getting 100 fps in Windows natively on any game, would it only drop down to 98 fps in QEMU-KVM guest mode? I have seen a LOT of claims online that QEMU-KVM actually feels like bare metal installs on its guest OS's, but that is really hard to believe, lol.

Also, is it possible to use only one GPU? My current board has a broken second PCIe slot (it shattered in transit), so I might have to wait for X570 to get a new motherboard to try this. But I would like to at least familiarize myself using this method so long Windows 10 doesn't need GPU pass through to function. 3D gaming can come later with a secondary GPU and new mobo of course. And no, I am not willing to solder in a new PCIe slot lol.

Also, do you need secondary hardware for pass through? Would I need a second Network card for Windows, second GPU for windows, and a second USB card for Windows to function like on bare metal? I do have all these parts, but I don't have the pcie ports for them at the moment, again I would need a new mobo. I am planning on a X570 board and a Ryzen 9 16 core if it eventually exists.

One last question, what is a good source of information and how-to's for this QEMU-KVM method and hardware pass through stuff? I did searches but info seems limited. Thanks

skorp

I use Win10 for gaming in VM and can confirm that it feels like native windows.

At first I had problems CPU wise but solved it setting custom CPU topology in virt-manager.

You need at least 1 real gpu for guest if you want performance and try to control host via ssh from guest. Tricky and could not work.

Besides gpu I pass-through ssd with windows itself for better performance but it is not required and you can install in a file. Besides I always can boot from ssd normally.

There are a lot of ways to setup network for guest. Unless you want its own network interface you do not need to pass-through real network card.

You can pass-through USB device at any time on fly or whole USB controller (in same way like any pci device).

For keyboard and mouse I use synergy. For some reason mouse through synergy has huge sensitivity in 3d games to the point it is almost unusable so a got separate one and pass-through it.

The only part I am still struggling is sound. You always can use GPU related sound system without problems but it is tricky to use hosts sound. I had to set 16bit 16k hz in windows and still there is a small delay (not noticeable unless you know).

There is an article on arch wiki that covers pci pass-through.

Intel Core i7-5820K

GeForce GT 710 for host

GeForce GTX 1060 for guest

On 5/3/2019 at 4:56 PM, AaronM said:

Hey gang, I got to the part where I install MacOS in virtual machine manager but I'm getting this message within Virtual machine manager "graphical console not configured for guest"  So I can't see whats going on.  Anyone else facing this?

I faced this and was able to fix. I'm not sure what I did but try this: add the following in your .xml file you define for virsh, inside the <devices> </devices> tag:

<graphics type='spice' autoport='yes' listen='0.0.0.0' defaultMode='insecure'>
  <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
</graphics>

You'll need to install virt-viewer and maybe some other things related to spice.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:58 PM, AaronM said:

try sudo before your virsh command

I have the same issue and tried that before... not changing anything.

Hello, I have a problem where after choosing to boot mac os from clover, the boot will after some time fail with a prohibitory sign popping up on screen.macwtf3.thumb.png.58daaf5069053c2880cf2ed9f37feeb1.png

The last output before this is the followingmacwtf.thumb.png.6031e95cedf5203015bc762d8eb01ef0.png

And my devices are:macwtf2.png.85a57fbe5ba74728af1571466405eb05.png

Can anyone help?

I have a new error. Can someone help?

internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2019-05-05T19:48:39.253366Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive file=/home/benjamin/Hackintosh-KVM/OVMF_CODE.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on: PC system firmware (pflash) must be a multiple of 0x1000

Which USB controller card did they use here?

On 5/1/2019 at 9:16 PM, Ilko Georgirv said:

Please can we get a comparison (video editing, gaming etc) between a hackingtosh and a MAC which have the same specs. Is performance in video editing and in gaming the same? 

Georgirv, you need to configure the display for your virtual machine. The simplest way to do this is to go to the virt-manager -> "+ Add Hardware" -> "Graphics" and add a Spice server. Also, if you cannot adjust the resolution as shown in the video, just add a "Video" in the "+ Add Hardware", (I have success with VGA and Virtio models).

Bentheone, I had the same problem. It seems that the Mac Install cannot accept IDE BUS type to install the OS. To solve this, I changed the CDROM to SATA. The installation should run smoothly from there.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:56 AM, AaronM said:

AaronM, you need to configure the display for your virtual machine. The simplest way to do this is to go to the virt-manager -> "+ Add Hardware" -> "Graphics" and add a Spice server. Also, if you cannot adjust the resolution as shown in the video, just add a "Video" in the "+ Add Hardware", (I have success with VGA and Virtio models).

On 5/5/2019 at 4:34 PM, eXeP said:

Hello, I have a problem where after choosing to boot mac os from clover, the boot will after some time fail with a prohibitory sign popping up on screen.macwtf3.thumb.png.58daaf5069053c2880cf2ed9f37feeb1.png

The last output before this is the followingmacwtf.thumb.png.6031e95cedf5203015bc762d8eb01ef0.png

And my devices are:macwtf2.png.85a57fbe5ba74728af1571466405eb05.png

Can anyone help?

eXeP, I had the same problem. It seems that the Mac Install cannot accept IDE BUS type to install the OS. To solve this, I changed the CDROM to SATA. The installation should run smoothly from there.

Guys, I'm having another problem here. After installing the OS from the CD, when I boot from the HDD to finish the installation, the guest automatically closes after a short time. Sometimes I have managed to pass through the country selection (image bellow) and even got to configure my Apple ID. Although, even if a do nothing and just wait for a little, the guest dies eventually.

Someone has experienced something like that or know how to solve it?

Welcome-576d934c5f9b5858759ac7f3.jpg

[edit]

Found a workaround to this problem, I ran the following command and replace the gnu-netcat for the openbsd-netcat and everything worked smoothly.

sudo pacman -S virt-manager qemu vde2 ebtables dnsmasq bridge-utils openbsd-netcat

If I good remember the original video had instructions show how to make EFI boot directly into the VM has this been cut out ? Where can I find some information about it ?

On 5/9/2019 at 11:00 AM, Ammit said:

Guys, I'm having another problem here. After installing the OS from the CD, when I boot from the HDD to finish the installation, the guest automatically closes after a short time. Sometimes I have managed to pass through the country selection (image bellow) and even got to configure my Apple ID. Although, even if a do nothing and just wait for a little, the guest dies eventually.

Someone has experienced something like that or know how to solve it?

Welcome-576d934c5f9b5858759ac7f3.jpg

[edit]

Found a workaround to this problem, I ran the following command and replace the gnu-netcat for the openbsd-netcat and everything worked smoothly.

sudo pacman -S virt-manager qemu vde2 ebtables dnsmasq bridge-utils openbsd-netcat

I have a problem just like this. I was able to get the VM up and running, logged in, but whenever I try to install something or even just wait awhile doing nothing, the VM will just close itself randomly. Iv'e tried your edit, but it still does the same thing.

Since I don't get any error messages from the apple side or from virt manager, I really don't know where to even start troubleshooting.

If anyone has any information on this, it would be much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it's possible to run this macOS virtual machine on QEMU in Windows 10?

It would be good for someone who wants to game on Windows while also having macOS easily accessible for work.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:20 PM, synthecypher said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to run this macOS virtual machine on QEMU in Windows 10?

It would be good for someone who wants to game on Windows while also having macOS easily accessible for work.

It wouldn't be usable under Windows, as the feature needed for GPU acceleration (iommu passthrough) just doesn't work without KVM support. There's some experimental accelerator support for CPUs, so at best you'll have a slow experience.

On 4/25/2019 at 10:24 PM, Albake21 said:

I had the same issue. The command needs to be ran as super user. So make it "sudo virsh define hackintosh.xml"

My problem is now trying to get the iso to boot. For some reason I cannot boot the iso. Everything is set in the bios and in the VM settings. It just boots to nothing. When I try to manually boot from the CD ROM I made, the screen just blinks and comes back to the bios screen. I tried remaking the iso, but nothing changed. 

thanks a lot :)

On 5/5/2019 at 3:29 PM, eXeP said:

I faced this and was able to fix. I'm not sure what I did but try this: add the following in your .xml file you define for virsh, inside the <devices> </devices> tag:

<graphics type='spice' autoport='yes' listen='0.0.0.0' defaultMode='insecure'>
  <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
</graphics>

You'll need to install virt-viewer and maybe some other things related to spice.

thanks a lot ❤️

• 3 weeks later...

So hey I've gotten to where it boots from the iso but now it gets stuck after a "panic(cpu 0 caller)" (check screenshot) and I'm stumped, any suggestions please? 

Screenshot from 2019-06-29 19-06-02.png

Sorry Linus, but this solution is much better and easier than yours:

On 4/19/2019 at 5:13 AM, Streetguru said:

So why doesn't apple use Ryzen APUs in their mac minis and laptops?

Ya ya thunderbolt or whatever, who even cares about thunderbolt though? wasn't intel supposed to have open sourced it?

Yes they did make it opensource. The new usb spec has it incorperated. But there is no hardware with this spec yet.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:14 PM, GabenJr said:

That would be easier, but also very clearly piracy, since you're downloading software you don't actually have a license for to begin with. Our method is just "it's complicated". Also, I'm reasonably sure you'd get better performance via KVM/QEMU than VMWare, especially if it's a question of whether you've got a Linux or Windows host.

You could still run Mojave with an Nvidia GPU, just without acceleration. Running macOS without acceleration IS a bad time, so until Nvidia/Apple hammer out their driver situation (last I've read, they're working to release the drivers officially through Apple), it's best to use an AMD or Intel GPU. Audio, networking, storage, etc are all supported on the single OVMF i440fx platform and aren't considerations, and any modern CPU with SSE4.1 will work (so AMD FX on and Intel Penryn on).

I want to run this in a server with Intel GPU, the server has 256 GB of ram and 2 Intel Xeon E5 2630v4, I'm currently using a VirtualBox VM with macos Mojave but is super slow, I wonder if I use the KVM/QEMU  the performance will improve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 11:10 PM, geocine said:

I mainly use Mac for software development, do you guys think I can run docker in this? 

yea that should be no problem