Make ANY PC Into a Hackintosh!

nicklmg

v

1 minute ago, KingDaddyDaniel said:

Would this let me use iMessage on android? Austin just made a video a few weeks ago on how to do it, but it requires a mac. What are the specifics of the part when Anthony said getting Facetime and iMessage working are hit or miss?

Thats the exact reason why im trying to do this!!! :)

Would it be possible to get the script for this video? (or if Anthony wrote up instructions for this plan?)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Shaneee said:

Or just install macOS physically on your machine :P

Shanee: Did you use this method in setting up Mojave? Or did you do a full on Hackintosh?

(I hackentoshed a Dell Optiplex a bunch of years ago, and it worked well, but oi! :D )

---

I posted on youtube thread, but I'd like to see a benchmark comparison of a Mac (Mini/iMac...whatever) vs a pc built at the same cost, but using this method. (maybe a Mini so you can eliminate the iMac's monitor)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

do it on a thin and light laptop

or a slightly thicker laptop like the new Legion from Lenovo

is sr-iov possible on a laptop

could you try to run it using sr-iov in order to just use one gpu

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

suggestion: use Clevo P870TM (which supports up to two gpu and a desktop cpu) for this and build a laptop that makes apple macbook pro looks small. with 9900K, you can use two gtx1080 (or maybe even as you are using each gpu for one thing,use two rtx2080 or one rtx2080 + one gtx1080) that is sth to look forward too.the ultimate apple laptop.nit has 2 display port/hdmi/thunderbolt3, so you can even connect it to more than 2 displays as well and make that laptop act like a pre-built case and again be the ultimate mac pc. not to mention that you have 4 storage options that you can use raid 0..you can install 3000mhz ram on it as well(up to 128GB). this is the project that will make apple products looks stupid(even with all these hardwares,the prices will still be less than what apple is charging current macbook pro for...) thanks anthony for such a splendid job...

1 hour ago, KingDaddyDaniel said:

Would this let me use iMessage on android? Austin just made a video a few weeks ago on how to do it, but it requires a mac. What are the specifics of the part when Anthony said getting Facetime and iMessage working are hit or miss?

I doubt that could be done right now, but maybe one day if Google fully integrates Android with Chrome OS (which can run Linux and even KVMs ~ like what Linus and Anthony were doing).

How to run virtual machines on a Chromebook:

Linus! Please, do exactly what you said at the end.

I am a video editor and have been trying to get exactly this working for a long time. I would love to see how a loaded up system compares to an iMac Pro in tests, because I was planning to use a very overkill build to allocate some of it to hackintoshing :D

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

It was great to watch this video on YT. 

I have a gaming laptop, i7 Coffee Lake with GTX 1060. I can run Mojave on VB VM but without 3D acceleration. I have also made bootable external SSD with Mac OS High Sierra (Vanilla Install with clover) but no audio, not networking (Intel Cards) and limited video memory. 

I also have additional USB HDD with Linux MINT. So, would it be possible to have this KVM setup on my Linux drive and make all my hardware enabled, including DGPU(no IGPU available), audio and LAN/WiFi?

Thank you

image.png.b68b2e151a27f5fde6c3d3a3ae7e98b1.png

47 minutes ago, amirbahalagharn said:

suggestion: use Clevo P870TM (which supports up to two gpu and a desktop cpu) for this and build a laptop that makes apple macbook pro looks small. with 9900K, you can use two gtx1080 (or maybe even as you are using each gpu for one thing,use two rtx2080 or one rtx2080 + one gtx1080) that is sth to look forward too.the ultimate apple laptop.nit has 2 display port/hdmi/thunderbolt3, so you can even connect it to more than 2 displays as well and make that laptop act like a pre-built case and again be the ultimate mac pc. not to mention that you have 4 storage options that you can use raid 0..you can install 3000mhz ram on it as well(up to 128GB). this is the project that will make apple products looks stupid(even with all these hardwares,the prices will still be less than what apple is charging current macbook pro for...) thanks anthony for such a splendid job...

That's the thing, you won't get any use out of a RTX2080 because there are no mac drivers for the RTX, meaning no acceleration. Which basically makes the card useless and the experience terrible.

7 minutes ago, nozimjon said:

It was great to watch this video on YT. 

I have a gaming laptop, i7 Coffee Lake with GTX 1060. I can run Mojave on VB VM but without 3D acceleration. I have also made bootable external SSD with Mac OS High Sierra (Vanilla Install with clover) but no audio, not networking (Intel Cards) and limited video memory. 

I also have additional USB HDD with Linux MINT. So, would it be possible to have this KVM setup on my Linux drive and make all my hardware enabled, including DGPU(no IGPU available), audio and LAN/WiFi?

Thank you

Well not if you wanna run Mojave. High Sierra works fine with 10x0 cards, but there are no Nvidia drivers for anything above at the moment (and maybe not in the future).

9 minutes ago, nozimjon said:

DGPU(no IGPU available)

You need some sort of GPU for the host system

Edited by duncannah

🙂

7 minutes ago, Kono said:

Well not if you wanna run Mojave. High Sierra works fine with 10x0 cards, but there are no Nvidia drivers for anything above at the moment (and maybe not in the future).

Thanks for the reply. High Sierra is just fine however I have been running into issues with my kexts in order to enable Realtek audio and GBE LAN. It seems I must do more tinkering and look for help on Hackintosh forums.  Looks like my clover config isn't also perfect as Nvidia web drivers don't function with my 1060

10 minutes ago, duncannah said:

This is probably not the best way but if you run a headless system and ssh into it you can pass the GPU to a VM without a problem (I do it on our server). If you want a normal linux install with a gui you could potentially just kill your display server and then start the KVM with passthrough and when you shut it down, start the display server again (haven't tested that yet, but I see no reason for this to not work). 

Mac OS vs Windows gaming VM.

See if MacOS is good for gaming but held back by hardware.

11 minutes ago, duncannah said:

You mean I cannot run my Host when GTX 1060 is assigned for VM. It is pity my laptop does not come with Intel HD graphics included. This QEMU/KMV thing seemed very promising to have all of my built in hardware get working. Maybe Vanilla/Multibeast install is the only way to go with my current setup for owning a hackintosh then. 

13 minutes ago, XLNC said:

i dont need no KVM !?
Just run it on bare metal .

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 5.33.44 AM.png

Lucky you! However with portable laptops one's options are so limited. I would pick my laptop more wisely but this hackintosh thing was not my intention in the first place. I do it only for tests and get some joy when the tests succeed. LOL

13 minutes ago, Kono said:

This is probably not the best way but if you run a headless system and ssh into it you can pass the GPU to a VM without a problem (I do it on our server). If you want a normal linux install with a gui you could potentially just kill your display server and then start the KVM with passthrough and when you shut it down, start the display server again (haven't tested that yet, but I see no reason for this to not work). 

I have seen 'headless' on VB VM options but never got a chance to put into test. It sounds a bit hard with my not very deep knowledge of using codes. If google be of any help then I may give it a try. Thanks

I have been thinking about getting a beancanyon nuc to use as a hackintosh. Seeing this makes me think going virtualization would be a great route. How hard would it be to set up grub to boot right to the vm?

Alrighty, I am a super noob and am trying to find a good OS for my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro to try something other than Windows. Right now rolling PopOS with some success, but have the itch to try OSx.

Anyway, I got through the installation of all the required software and running the kvm service. I have the virtual machine set up with the ISO image and the required clover file. As a linux SUPER noob, this was a big moment for me.

However, when I get to the point that it is time to boot the VM, I get an error message (image attached)

Any ideas?

DeepinScreenshot_select-area_20190418214713.png

I was trying to find an excuse to own a 16 core Ryzen 9 later this year. I think I just found my excuse, lol.

As for what video updates we’d like to see...

I did my first hackintosh as a netbook in 2008 back when they were basically the only thing with SSDs. It works great and was very easy, but the updates were hell. 

What I think would be “best” would be infrequent updates on how your hackintosh is doing. The clean installs always work pretty well but even with this VM there’s no way you can go 2-3 years with automatic updates before something fails. Once a year video by a staff member who took the pc home and uses it casually? 

So why doesn't apple use Ryzen APUs in their mac minis and laptops?

Ya ya thunderbolt or whatever, who even cares about thunderbolt though? wasn't intel supposed to have open sourced it?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I did a hackintosh setup on my old laptop in school, mostly to see people's shocked reactions when I showed them macOS running on a Lenovo gaming laptop. In hindsight I don't think it was a smart idea to flaunt a blatantly pirated version of macOS about in school, but I didn't care at the time. 

Was a real whore to get it set up and running though, and there were a lot of "quirks" and bugs. After a couple weeks I got bored and deleted everything related to it. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.