Help finding a pair of decent earbuds

knight_40k

I am looking for a pair of earbuds that are higher quality than what I've owned in the past as I usually buy cheap $40ish pairs. I don't know much about audio specs but I want something that can play bass that won't sound like static and have good highs/mids. Do these exist in earbuds? I listen exclusively to Melodic Death Metal and Core/Djent if that makes a difference on what you recommend.

I use an iPod classic so they must be wired and if possible I would like a volume adjust/track skip on the cord. I know audio can be subjective but I'm looking for a starting point. My price range is $150 CAD max, hopefully something exists in this price range.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

5 minutes ago, knight_40k said:

I am looking for a pair of earbuds that are higher quality than what I've owned in the past as I usually buy cheap $40ish pairs. I don't know much about audio specs but I want something that can play bass that won't sound like static and have good highs/mids. Do these exist in earbuds? I listen exclusively to Melodic Death Metal and Core/Djent if that makes a difference on what you recommend.

I use an iPod classic so they must be wired and if possible I would like a volume adjust/track skip on the cord. I know audio can be subjective but I'm looking for a starting point. My price range is $150 CAD max, hopefully something exists in this price range.

Shure SE215 plus an aftermarket cable is what I'd recommend. Earbuds themselves are $120-130CAD depending on the version and the cables are 15-20CAD.

Cable: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075K9PS9R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

I left my Etymotics hf5 IEMs at home when I flew overseas last year, which sucked. Fortunately, there was a shop in England with Sennheiser CX 3.00 earbuds at 35 GBP (about $42-43 US at the time). The noise isolation is definitely better on the Etys, but the overall sound is better on the much, much cheaper Sennheisers, so I've latched onto those as my main pair of earbuds. The Etys have great noise isolation (if you insert them so far into your ear that it tickles your brain) and their sound is helped tremendously by aftermarket Comply foam tips.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

tin audio T3 these are the guys I use. just enough bass to make them fun lots of detail in the highs and the mids . soundstage is narrower that it's older brother the t2 but a more fun  listen. I got them on massdrop when they first dropped definitely my recommendation.  

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tin-audio-t3-iem

2 hours ago, knight_40k said:

I would look at the SHURE line of ear buds.  Google it and you will see different prices based on the quality.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

On 4/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, Brink2Three said:

Shure SE215 plus an aftermarket cable is what I'd recommend. Earbuds themselves are $120-130CAD depending on the version and the cables are 15-20CAD.
Cable: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075K9PS9R/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?psc=1

On 4/17/2019 at 11:30 AM, aisle9 said:

I left my Etymotics hf5 IEMs at home when I flew overseas last year, which sucked. Fortunately, there was a shop in England with Sennheiser CX 3.00 earbuds at 35 GBP (about $42-43 US at the time). The noise isolation is definitely better on the Etys, but the overall sound is better on the much, much cheaper Sennheisers, so I've latched onto those as my main pair of earbuds. The Etys have great noise isolation (if you insert them so far into your ear that it tickles your brain) and their sound is helped tremendously by aftermarket Comply foam tips.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:07 PM, rice guru said:

tin audio T3 these are the guys I use. just enough bass to make them fun lots of detail in the highs and the mids . soundstage is narrower that it's older brother the t2 but a more fun  listen. I got them on massdrop when they first dropped definitely my recommendation.  

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tin-audio-t3-iem

On 4/17/2019 at 1:12 PM, Turtle Rig said:

I would look at the SHURE line of ear buds.  Google it and you will see different prices based on the quality.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will take a look at these brands/models and see what works best for my use.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater