Mix and Match RAM‽‽

Hey, Good Folks of LTT Forum, 

How are you all doing?

I am new to the forum and I had a question regarding upgrading my PC Ram. 

In my System, I currently have 2 sticks of 4 Gig each of Crucial CT4G4DFS824A running at 2400 MHz. For Refrence

My Question is, Can I add 2 more sticks of Crucial CT8G4DFS824A which I believe is the same stick of ram with 8 Gig instead of 4 For Reference

Will this pose any compatibility issues? Since both the ram seems to be exactly identical except for the memory size. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

It wont be running in dualchannel. And therefore isnt recommended

wouldn't it run in double dual channel?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

wouldn't it run in double dual channel?

I think so. I will say im not 100% on that one

Edit: no it wont. You will get faster than singlechannel, but not dualchannel.

If put in right slots it should still work dual channel. I'd rate it as unlikely to be a problem especially given the low speed.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Some More Info - 

MoBo - B450 Pro VDH AM4 

CPU - R3 1300X

Current memory config - 2X2 in dual channel 4 gig each 

Total Ram Slots - 4 

Total empty Ram slots 2 (1 in Channel A and 1 in Channel B) 

My thoughts - Since the ram is essentially the exact 1:1 make except for the size of memory, in theory it should work perfectly fine. 

2 minutes ago, CosmicGamerGeek said:

Some More Info - 

MoBo - B450 Pro VDH AM4 

CPU - R3 1300X

Total Ram Slots - 4 

My thoughts - Since the ram is essentially the exact 1:1 make except for the size of memory, in theory it should work perfectly fine. 

In theory ... but RAM land is a speculation cookie 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

8 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

In theory ... but RAM land is a speculation cookie 

So what do you suggest? Do I take the risk or Do I stick with what I have and buy more of it

29 minutes ago, CosmicGamerGeek said:

So what do you suggest? Do I take the risk or Do I stick with what I have and buy more of it

I would suggest selling your current ram and buying a 16GB set or 32GB depending on how much you need OR buying a second 2*4GB ram.

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 hour ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I would suggest selling your current ram and buying a 16GB set or 32GB depending on how much you need OR buying a second 2*4GB ram.

Selling is completely out of question. The used market scene in India is essential non existent especially where I live. Maybe 2 more of the same 4 gig each is what I should get. Thanks for the help.

5 hours ago, CosmicGamerGeek said:

Some More Info - 

MoBo - B450 Pro VDH AM4 

CPU - R3 1300X

Total Ram Slots - 4 

in therory... Ram compatibility is prob the worst thing in pc building, you realy jsut need to trying it and return it if i does not work, thats really your only option

(Take anything I say with a grain of salt)

[Main Pc] CPU, i5 9600k GPU, Asus Strix RTX 2060, RAM, 16b Team Group Delta RGB, PSU, Seasonic Px-750 plat , Cooler, Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, Storage, 500gb Samsung 950 evo/1tb WD blue/2tb HDD,Case, Enermax ECA3520. + some cooler master RGB fans

[Laptop] Dell G3, i7-8750H (Turbo 4.2 Ghz), Gtx 1050 ti , 8gb 2669 mhz, 128gb nvme ssd, 1tb HDD

[Server]

[Consoles] Pretty much almost every popular one you can think of besides for like Xbox and some Sega Stuff( Playstation especially)

[Mobile Devices] iPhone XR 64gb (Red) gb, iPad Air 2 128gb, Space Grey,  Ipod Shuffle Space Grey

I've done a similar thing, but on my case i purchased a two year old DDR4 2x4 RAM sticks, which has the exact specs (timings, capacity, speed) on my current sticks. Also, they are different units from GSkills, RipJaw V (2x4) and Aegis (2x4). It work perfectly fine and my PC immediately read the added sticks.

what i understood on dual and quad channel memory, is that if your motherboard supports on either of those, it is recommended to run on those configuration and your sticks that you purchased should match your mobo channel. Example, if your mobo has 4 ram slots but only runs at dual channel, you should use a RAM kit that has two stick as it will run at dual channel. This is also the same as quad channel, you should use a kit that has 4 sticks on it.

Now for your question, if you're going to add TWO more sticks (2x8) on your current set up, you need to check if the timings on all sticks are match (like 15-15-15-38). yes you can use 2x8 with 2x4 (a total of 24gb). And as i mentioned earlier, if your mobo is a dual channel config, you can use another kit with 2 sticks on it on to your mobo, but it should have the same speed and timings, and most importantly, runs at dual channel memory.

but you have another option, just buy another kit that has the same specs with your current sticks to make sure that there will be no problems. You will instead have 16gb vs 24gb, and i think 16gb is pretty much enough if you'll only play games and browse internet. 

Heyy LTT forum folks, just correct my statement if you found any inconsistencies with it. thanks! 

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

17 hours ago, Lagercat1 said:

in therory... Ram compatibility is prob the worst thing in pc building, you realy jsut need to trying it and return it if i does not work, thats really your only option

India doesn't have consumer friendly return policies. Here it's you buy it you own it, once sold we don't give a ?