Can't decide between dual screen and one big screen for photography and FPS

Specer

Hi everyone,

First post here :)

I have a "small" space on my desk where I can put at max two 25" monitors side by side. I currently have a Benq BL2410PT (24") which I bought for color accuracy 3 years ago and one old cheap 22" asus monitor. I'm pretty close to my screen (40cm - 50cm).

I have a i5-6500 and a GTX-1060 6Gb

I do two things mainly :

• developing raw pictures in Lightroom
  • playing FPS game

Sometimes I do some video editing on Premier Pro where I definitely use my double screen. Apart from this case, i mainly use my Benq since it is a bit wider and better than the Asus.

I wanted to change my old asus monitor to switch to a freesync (g-sync compatible) / 144hz / 1ms gaming screen and... I saw a bunch of video on damn large screen making me wonder can i have everything in one screen ?

I've got a budget of max 650€.

What would you choose ?

I’d dunk 300-400$ on a 3440x1440p monitor (IPS of course), and save the rest for a system upgrade, perhaps after zen 2 is launched

Why would you not be able to have everything on one screen...

99% of the world uses only one screen.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

29 minutes ago, Specer said:

What would you choose ?

Professional photographer here. Dual screens forever. It's makes so much difference, especially in LightRoom. Well worth the cost/space.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Specer said:

Hi everyone,

I have a "small" space on my desk where I can put at max two 25" monitors side by side. I currently have a Benq BL2410PT (24") which I bought for color accuracy 3 years ago and one old cheap 22" asus monitor. I'm pretty close to my screen (40cm - 50cm).

I do two things mainly :

• playing FPS game

Sometimes I do some video editing on Premier Pro where I definitely use my double screen. Apart from this case, i mainly use my Benq since it is a bit wider and better than the Asus.

I wanted to change my old asus monitor to switch to a freesync (g-sync compatible) / 144hz / 1ms gaming screen and... I saw a bunch of video on damn large screen making me wonder can i have everything in one screen ?

What would you choose ?

To me it depends on what you mean by a "bigger Screen"? If your talking 21:9 or 32:9 then the larger screen might be nice. Ive heard that 21:9 is like have 1.5 monitors on your desk as far as screen real estate. 32:9 is like having two 16:9 monitors side by side but with no bezel in between. 

All that being said, I have two monitors myself. They do make you more productive. I genuinely use one for videos (Youtube, Plex) and one for surfing the web. Also worked great when I was a student, because I could have the ebook on one screen and my homework on the other. Id probably have 3 screens if I could figure out how to pull it off, LOL. 

For the record I have two 23" 1080P Acer panels. They work well, I love them alot. Just keep in mind, once you go dual screen, you cant go back. 

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Why would you not be able to have everything on one screen...

99% of the world uses only one screen.

99% of people are peasants. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

99% of people are peasants. 

One large screen can be like multi-monitor except without bezels.

People with bezels between their multiple screens are peasants ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

One large screen can be like multi-monitor except without bezels

Touche. Honestly If I could afford a 32.9 monitor I have one.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Specer said:

Hi everyone,

I do two things mainly :

• playing FPS game

What would you choose ?

I've struggled with this issue as a developer and an avid photographer for a long time. I've tried various different set ups and many panels. I have both a. MacBook Pro for work and a pretty decent rig that I use as a Hackintosh for bulk video encoding and gaming. Including the following:

27in 4k LG monitor + 1080p monitor in vertical for code (best for coding) (iffy for gaming since I have a 1080 non TI)

27in 4k LG monitor + MacBook/iPad Pro with Duet display (cleanest setup)

34in LG Ultrawide (1440 with a usb-c connector) - Most convenient for Mac but terrible for gaming given that a good number games still letter box the sides on an ultrawide - I quickly returned this monitor. 

32in 1440p 144hz AOC Monitor as the main monitor and the 4k LG as the secondary set to the left - I love this for photo and video editing since I get a 1 to 1 representation of a 4k video while editing on the other screen. It also gives me the premiere high refresh rate gaming experience.  Con - this is as expensive of a set up as it gets and theres practically ZERO room on the desk left even though the monitors are mounted to the desk. 

What I am doing now - 

The 1440 high refresh AOC has its own work station with the Hackintosh/gaming rig.

The 4k monitor is my work station with a nice clean set up. All I need to do is dock into a CalDigit hub. 

Hope that helps. 

I went from a triple screen setup over to one large screen and have started using "windows key"+"Tab" to add virtual desktops for screen switching. 

So far its working pretty great. 

There is also the possibility of doing ultrawide 35" and splitting the screen virtually.

The benefit is when i do game I can do so on a much larger screen and higher resolutions now.

Once you get somewhat competent at the Win + Tab its not so bad. 

Some monitors like the benq ones also have the dual input function you can enable and disable and it will run a single ultrawide screen split in the middle functionally as 2 monitors and that can just be enabled and disabled with a click or 2

I personally went 32 non ultrawide and skipped split screen "although it still has the function". 32 is a bit taller in standard sizes than ultrawide 35" so for gaming i find it effectively larger, which is why im just using "Win + Tab" for multi screen functionality. 

But its up to you what you want. 

I personally got sick of having a near 6 foot wide monitor setup which is why i switched.

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the answers.

I finally went for an Acer Nitro VG270UP which is 27in, 144hz, WQHD, g-sync compatible and IPS. I chose to keep my Benq since it's not very old and do a good job.

The Acer is bigger than I was looking for but I thought that I would move to another place one day and would be able to ditch my small desk.

But actually, 24in + 27in seems now too big for me and i'm still wondering if I will keep it or not. That's damn large. I feel like looking at a tennis game sometimes.

What I learnt :

144hz is a greaaaat improvement for gaming experience.

WQHD is really nice too for everything.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:02 AM, Radium_Angel said:

Professional photographer here. Dual screens forever. It's makes so much difference, especially in LightRoom. Well worth the cost/space.

Can you give me a screenshot of how you use lightroom with dual screen ? I tried it for a few times but I wasn't more productive.

38 minutes ago, Specer said:

Can you give me a screenshot of how you use lightroom with dual screen ? I tried it for a few times but I wasn't more productive.

When I get home I will.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.