USD 100 Phone vs Point & Shoot

I am disappointed with the camera performance of my (converted from local currency to US dollar) USD 100 phone. But what was I expecting. My question now is: Can a USD 100 point & shoot camera, used or new deliver better photos than a USD 100 phone?

I'd save up a little more and buy a used DSLR.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

I'd save up a little more and buy a used DSLR.

I understand a DSLR would provide better quality images however I'm quite ready for the complexity with exchangeable lenses.

If I was to go the used DSLR route, how much extra money is recommended? any recommendation for specific models? 

14 hours ago, bindydad123 said:

I understand a DSLR would provide better quality images however I'm quite ready for the complexity with exchangeable lenses.

If I was to go the used DSLR route, how much extra money is recommended? any recommendation for specific models? 

You should be able to get one for $150 to $200. Something like a T3i. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My 2 cents.

Use your phone for now and do research on camera gear.   Some of the super low end DSLR and mirrorless bodies aren't really worth getting.   There are also surprising decent point and shoots too.   Maybe save up and get a decent (but cheap) body and lenses or even a point and shoot, but you'll need to know what you actually want. 

Go to a camera store and play with the cameras.  Physically hold them and see which brand and or models feel the best and you just ""get" more easily.   Then do research based on what you liked the most.  Nothing is worse than shelling out money and then being disappointed.

Don't be afraid of a good point and shoot either.  While I don't mind lugging around heavy gripped bodies and large glass, that's not for everyone.  Finding what works for you and something you'll use the most, is what makes it the best camera (most of the time).

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

Update. Earlier today, I bought a used S100. I'm not quite ready to determine whether the photos are better than my phone but I would say that the photos taken with the S100 are at least on par.