Need some advice with my airflow

williamcll

Untitled.png.0575b1ef2c03b64e081c9bfa909d057c.png

This is my current setup which is similar to Linus' recent video for his lan room PC. Problem is running AID64 causes the CPU to hit 95C and then crashes, so I'm looking to see if there's a way to cool the desktop better.

The three motherboard case fans are ~1000RPM can connects to the motherboard headers.

The USB fans are Delta brand but I don't know what the speed is, connected to a USB hub in the back of the case.

A filter covers the front and top fans as well as the PSU fan at the bottom.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

9 minutes ago, williamcll said:

running AID64 causes the CPU to hit 95C and then crashes

if your cpu hits 95c on water thats not an airflow issue

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

A filter covers the front and top fans

why are you filtering the top fans

You have 2 in and 3 out. I would expect the case might balance this by drawing in some air in the most open spot. I would expect the most open spot to be around the riser ports where all that warm air is. I would move the rear case fan to the front and make it an input.

Untitled.png.0575b1ef2c03b64e081c9bfa909d057c.png.b790559602949d687cdeebe75df1b9b4.png

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

On further inspection I've noticed that the USB fans blow harder than the case fans. I can buy more fans if needed. 

32 minutes ago, emosun said:

if your cpu hits 95c on water thats not an airflow issue

How so? Wouldnt a faster fan help? 

32 minutes ago, emosun said:

why are you filtering the top fans

Okay I'll remove that. 

28 minutes ago, keskparane said:

You have 2 in and 3 out. I would expect the case might balance this by drawing in some air in the most open spot. I would expect the most open spot to be around the riser ports where all that warm air is. I would move the rear case fan to the front and make it an input.

Untitled.png.0575b1ef2c03b64e081c9bfa909d057c.png.b790559602949d687cdeebe75df1b9b4.png

Not sure how I put a fan between the psu and GPU. There is space for a 120mm fan however. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

Not sure how I put a fan between the psu and GPU. There is space for a 120mm fan however. 

You wouldn't. My point is that because you have more fans pushing air out than pulling air in then warm air is probably being pulled in at that point because of negative pressure in the case.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

FYI easy way to tell if air is being pulled in at the back is with an incense stick or cigarette or similar.

3 hours ago, Ttnuagmada said:

Your airflow isn't the problem. You either need to re-seat block, or the pump in your cooler is faulty.

Well, the paste is only 3 weeks old so I'll check if the sata connector that this pump runs on have enough power

3 hours ago, keskparane said:

You wouldn't. My point is that because you have more fans pushing air out than pulling air in then warm air is probably being pulled in at that point because of negative pressure in the case.

alright, flip the rear fan and see how well it does

20 minutes ago, williamcll said:

alright, flip the rear fan and see how well it does

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Move it to the front. No point having filters if you going to suck air in from places where they aren't.

2 hours ago, keskparane said:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Move it to the front. No point having filters if you going to suck air in from places where they aren't.

sounds good

quick question, what thermal paste are you using? Sometimes the factory thermal paste is kinda meh. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Magic Man said:

quick question, what thermal paste are you using? Sometimes the factory thermal paste is kinda meh. 

Factory. What do you recommend instead?

A picture would have been much clearer? as in a photograph ? :D  
simple reasoning would point at the aio to be the problem here if i'm not mistaken. AIO's are closed loop watercoolers right? though with the heat output of your 2080 the complete enviroment can be less then sustainable.
I'm a bit confused about the drawing on the upper part. to me it translates as having a massive 240 mil fan cooling the heat from the gpu with 2 case fans attached to the motherboard hanging underneath the aio cooler to pull out all the heat 

22 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

A picture would have been much clearer? as in a photograph ? :D  
simple reasoning would point at the aio to be the problem here if i'm not mistaken. AIO's are closed loop watercoolers right? though with the heat output of your 2080 the complete enviroment can be less then sustainable.
I'm a bit confused about the drawing on the upper part. to me it translates as having a massive 240 mil fan cooling the heat from the gpu with 2 case fans attached to the motherboard hanging underneath the aio cooler to pull out all the heat 

Here: I can buy more fans tomorrow, however the top case fan space has to be thinner so it can be fit in. 
So far I have rearranged all the fans to be like this: the faster 5V1A fans now blow the AIO out of the top while the three 1000RPM case fans draws air from the front.

IMG_20190414_225946.jpg

• 1 month later...

An update: Despite my effort to try to overclock the 2700X to 4.2GHz, it still crashes too often so I reverted it to stock speeds, rather this is due to ASUS TUF X470 being bad at overclocking or my antec cooler not working properly is still something I have yet to figure out. However, looking at my receipt again I noticed that the included fans that the Antec K240 supposed to include were missing and so I contacted the store and they said they've lost it, in turn they gave me a pair of Corsair 120mm OEM fans. The current setup is as below:

1439890858_CaseFans.png.b898982db14070e49351693be28a8ef7.png

At this setup the Ryzen still remain toasty at a maximum of 83C while the GPU (EVGA RTX 2080 Ti black) is at a stable 77C.

IMG_20190608_031600.thumb.jpg.429fa5ca5490675165e8c136687a1190.jpg

I've tried to find more details about the Corsair and Delta fans but I haven't gotten any results.
The Corsair 31-004754 fans according to multiple PC part stores is rated to have 2700 RPM, however when I stress test it when 100% fan speed it only hits 1600.
I cannot find details about the AFB 1205H except that it feels like it has a higher airflow than all my other case fans.

I clean my dust filters every month.

The K240 Runs on SATA power so I cannot tell how well it is running.

I might swap to a Ryzen 3800X with a 360mm cooler at the end of the year. What Thermal paste do you recommend now and later?

10 hours ago, williamcll said:

they gave me a pair of Corsair 120mm OEM fans.

it only hits 1600.

They look like the stock ML120's included on the H150i which are rated at 1600rpm.

What case are you using?

Have you tried reseating the cpu block? Make sure to tighten the block evenly in an X-pattern instead of one side before the other. 

If you're using the top as exhaust, the dust filters there aren't doing much besides inhibiting airflow and stopping some settling dust. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

They look like the stock ML120's included on the H150i which are rated at 1600rpm.

What case are you using?

Have you tried reseating the cpu block? Make sure to tighten the block evenly in an X-pattern instead of one side before the other. 

If you're using the top as exhaust, the dust filters there aren't doing much besides inhibiting airflow and stopping some settling dust. 

That's unfortunate, but is a 1600RPM fan adequate for my Antec K240?

I am using the Antec P8 case, the front case fans are mostly blocked.

I don't have any spare thermal paste to replace the included paste that came with the AIO cooler, I might do that later.

There are no filters on the top of the case.

I changed the direction of the rear case fan so it blows outward, it seems to help: 70C average for CPU only and 75C for GPU/CPU combined. That said the CPU still feels hot at stock.

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

That's unfortunate, but is a 1600RPM fan adequate for my Antec K240?

I don't have any spare thermal paste to replace the included paste that came with the AIO cooler, I might do that later.

I changed the direction of the rear case fan so it blows outward, it seems to help: 70C average for CPU only and 75C for GPU/CPU combined. That said the CPU still feels hot at stock.

Yeah, it should be fine and better performance for the noise. The stock AIO fans are often cheaply made and high rpm to compensate for raw performance competition. ML120's are pretty good but you might lose a bit of cooling at the top end if you're used to running the fans at max rpm.

By on average, do you mean under load, idle, or something in between? 70c seems pretty normal for load temps considering the cooler. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yeah, it should be fine and better performance for the noise. The stock AIO fans are often cheaply made and high rpm to compensate for raw performance competition. ML120's are pretty good but you might lose a bit of cooling at the top end if you're used to running the fans at max rpm.

By on average, do you mean under load, idle, or something in between? 70c seems pretty normal for load temps considering the cooler. 

Under AIDA64 stress test.

What would be a good fan choice if I want more performance? The Delta fans are really noisy.

17 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Under AIDA64 stress test.

What would be a good fan choice if I want more performance? The Delta fans are really noisy.

Those are pretty good temps for AIDA. You're not going to get significantly better performance over the ML120 but there are quieter fans. 

Your temps are fine so I'd recommend just working on lowering noise if it bothers you.

If you can't lower the fan speeds any more for lower noise, new fans could help.

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Those are pretty good temps for AIDA. You're not going to get significantly better performance over the ML120 but there are quieter fans. 

Your temps are fine so I'd recommend just working on lowering noise if it bothers you.

If you can't lower the fan speeds any more for lower noise, new fans could help.

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

I am in hong kong, budget is 120 USD /  950 HKD

2 hours ago, williamcll said:

I am in hong kong, budget is 120 USD /  950 HKD

Are there any shops you can link us to?

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are there any shops you can link us to?

I normally use price.com.hk , however, tabobao , jd.com , newegg , banggood and amazon works for me too.

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

I normally use price.com.hk , however, tabobao , jd.com , newegg , banggood and amazon works for me too.

For 120mm fans, it doesn't really get any better than NF-A12x25's if you have money to blow: https://item.jd.com/7775710.html

If you want to save a bit of money, SW3 High-Speed's are also excellent: https://item.jd.com/100000157342.html

You can see some comparisons of the fans in the Highly Restrictive PC Case Simulation section: https://www.thelab.gr/reviews/heatsinks-coolers-watercooling-reviews/noctua-nf-a12x25-and-noctua-nf-p12-redux-series-fans-review-r701/