Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Setting 4K laptop display to 1080p

Does setting a 4k laptop display to 1080p help with battery life and when the 4k screen downscales to 1080p, how does the screen quality compare to a native 1080p screen? When I downscaled my 4k screen to 1080p it looked like things were slightly blurrier which seems to make sense considering that I went from 4k to 1080p but shouldn't 4k vs 1080p be indistinguishable to the human eye on laptop displays? Is this some placebo effect or perhaps a scaling issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, A-Furry-Peanut said:

Does setting a 4k laptop display to 1080p help with battery life and when the 4k screen downscales to 1080p, how does the screen quality compare to a native 1080p screen? When I downscaled my 4k screen to 1080p it looked like things were slightly blurrier which seems to make sense considering that I went from 4k to 1080p but shouldn't 4k vs 1080p be indistinguishable to the human eye on laptop displays? Is this some placebo effect or perhaps a scaling issue?

4k resolution on a tiny laptop is a stupid things IMO.  You won't be able to read sh*T.  I had a 28" 4k and I had to stick my eyes couple inches or a feet away.  Not good for the eyes. Also 1080p on a 4k monitor will look ugly as the monitor is meant for 4k resolution as native resolution.

 

minimum size for 4k monitor and you not going blind is 34" imo.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, A-Furry-Peanut said:

shouldn't 4k vs 1080p be indistinguishable to the human eye on laptop displays

unless you have bad eyes no , 4k is always quite apparent

the only time a 1080 display will look the same as a 4k display is when you are running lower quality content like a 720p movie , which would be the same on both displays

 

5 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

4k resolution on a tiny laptop is a stupid things IMO.  You won't be able to read sh*T.  I had a 28" 4k and I had to stick my eyes couple inches or a feet away.

you need to scale the image to adapt to a 4k display

if you are using tiny font and not scaling anything , then yeah I would imagine things might be hard to read.

but nobody runs a 4k display with tiny font and 100% scaling and then sits far away from it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, emosun said:

unless you have bad eyes no , 4k is always quite apparent

the only time a 1080 display will look the same as a 4k display is when you are running lower quality content like a 720p movie , which would be the same on both displays

 

you need to scale the image to adapt to a 4k display

if you are using tiny font and not scaling anything , then yeah I would imagine things might be hard to read.

but nobody runs a 4k display with tiny font and 100% scaling and then sits far away from it. 

LOL, I do my friend emosun.  I used 100 percent DPI with my old 28" sammy 4k.  Anything bigger is nasty I need real estate.  I run my current monitor at 4k and its perfect no DPI scaling needed when your using a 40" 4k monitor.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

LOL, I do my friend emosun.  I used 100 percent DPI with my old 28" sammy 4k.  Anything bigger is nasty I need real estate.  I run my current monitor at 4k and its perfect no DPI scaling needed when your using a 40" 4k monitor.

ok then don't complain you can't read text then

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, emosun said:

ok then don't complain you can't read text then

I never complained my friend.  I just said my old 28" was nice at 4k but very tiny text I would have to zoom in my eyes.  Once you hit 34" to 40" there won't be a need for DPI scaling unless you must have everything large on your monitor and don't care about real estate.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, emosun said:

wow sure wish i had zoomable eyes

G1 chief....  ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

G1 chief....  ?

chieftess

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×