Internet spikes when high use in neighbourhood

Hazenga

When people start coming back from work/school my internet starts spiking in games, spikes from like 60 ping to 200 ping and goes back down..

I have a wireless Zyxel LTE3302 router and I can't get cable in my neighbourhood atm.

Can I change something in my internet settings to make the traffic better or smth?

6a05e625d2ae137ff2c1409fabc307f9.png

image.thumb.png.e305e3c78ddd09c3826cca31d81dee9e.png

4 minutes ago, Mr. horse said:

Probably the local tower is being overloaded or bogged down.

Yeah probably.. Can't really do anything about that then

4 minutes ago, Kaicer said:

Are you using 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

2.4ghz, I googled and it said that channel 1, 6 and 11 are the best for 2.4ghz so I just set it to 11.

That's the problem then. It sounds like the neighborhood's 2.4Ghz lines are interfering with your wifi.

The router has a couple 100mbps ethernet ports on the back ... if the datasheet is correct.

You could try connecting a computer directly to the router using ethernet cable and see if you get stable connection and speeds ... if you have the same problems even with wired connection to the router, then the problem is probably related to the phone antennas around you buying busy, or the ISP has too little bandwidth to split between subscribers when everybody's home.

If you have a good connection when you use ethernet cable, then the problem may be related to the wireless signals being too weak around you, or too many wireless networks around you "polluting" the air around you.

If this is the case, you could buy a separate wireless router which has 5 ghz support

So you could buy a separate Wireless router that supports 5 ghz , or better 2.4 ghz and connect your new wireless router to the zyxel router using an ethernet cable... and disable the zyxel router's wireless part.

Your maximum speeds will be limited to 100 mbps, because that's the ethernet port speed, but the new router may be more stable, you may have less latency, you may have more consistency on 5 Ghz instead of 2.4 ghz (maybe fewer networks around you running on 5 ghz). You'd also need network cards capable of "talking" to the router on 5 ghz or at the higher 2.4 ghz speeds the new router could offer.. 

As said earlier, its more likely an issue at the tower than WiFi.  I have the same problem with my 4G connection, tried using wired and directly in my phone, same result.

ASUS B650E-F GAMING WIFI + R7 7800X3D + 2x Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5-6000 CL30-36-36-76  + ASUS RTX 4090 TUF Gaming OC

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) Backup: GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz) WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz)
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~1200Mbit down, 115Mbit up, variable)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7