Pro league ruins games?

The Great Kamek

Does anyone think a game that has been claimed by Esport has been ruined from what it used to be? For one, Rainbow six siege was the victim.

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
    Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2x8)
  • GPU
    ASUS Geforce GTX 1060 6GB
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
    WD 1TB 7200RPM, WD Blue 500GB SSD
  • PSU
    CORSAIR CX Series CX650 650W
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

1 minute ago, masked_guy said:

Does anyone think a game that has been claimed by Esport has been ruined from what it used to be? For one, Rainbow six siege was the victim.

Overwatch. I feel like back in the beginning the game had a much more fun atmosphere. Then the esports craze happened and bled into the rest of the games lower ranks, Quickplay became 'not competitive' for the people that just wanted to 'practice'. Everyone started getting angry all the time, and the games basically been on a downward slide for basically no reason other than community.

7 hours ago, PacketMan said:

This. I remember when people played it for just fun, then the OWL came hard and every match had a widow, a hanzo, a genji and sometimes a tracer.

Fucking disgusting, I have more than 40 hours with Moira and more than 40 hours with Mercy, my third most played character was Lucio with almost 40 hours too and damn, I'm so tired of the 5 dps team that the last month I've been playing mostly dps, if we are going to lose at least I could perfect my aim

Just when I wanted to be better with Ana I couldn't because everyone were splitted, it's a shame that now it's all about being the very best in the game, like if it was a semi pro league all day

and do you THINK esport was a mistake in the first place?

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

On 4/10/2019 at 2:34 AM, imbrock said:

Overwatch. I feel like back in the beginning the game had a much more fun atmosphere. Then the esports craze happened and bled into the rest of the games lower ranks, Quickplay became 'not competitive' for the people that just wanted to 'practice'. Everyone started getting angry all the time, and the games basically been on a downward slide for basically no reason other than community.

i used played comp for fun. like trying to get good with the random team and have a good time.

ultimately i just stopped playing because "life got in the way"

Hey man, you be you and I'll be me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Competitive FPS has been around since 1990's just letting you know. 

But back then in the early 2000s for example it was definitely more fun and each game had community and rivalries.

Depending on how good your team/squad etc were you would end up playing in those brackets with similarly skilled teams if your team improved you would move up similarly to diamond ect leagues in current game but with people you knew and could work with against similar skilled and prepared opponents .

Squads often had servers and tournaments ran comp modes to keep things skill based and fair. 

At those times we had ladders for normal competition and then tournaments would start and squads would play out for winners in that. the following season the best of those would usually move into a Invite bracket of tournament play and then following those you would more or less start to see pro teams. 

Typically a whole team would ascend so tight nit groups as a team would usually be the case.

Unlike now where everyone wants to be a solo super elite in a very transient environment .   

The FPS genre has experienced a similar issue as a the mmo community's via forced change to make things more casual and random with easy rewards and less community based where you have to work with others to achieve things.

As for your fun gaming experience we used to have a crap ton of fun in both community servers and team hosted servers but most people would frequent the same group of servers and then people would get to know each other by tag , it seemed more fun that way anyways rivalries and friendships were formed during those times.

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

I guess you could say pro league doesn't ruin games it's just the whole process to getting to a pro league has shifted in a not so great way. 

Now there isn't much middle ground where teams or even less than pro leagues can cultivate/justate. the amature leagues are pretty much exitinct really in most FPS now. 

Now people just try to solo as much as possible and get noticed instead of bringing up a team with them and seeing how far it can go. 

If your a star on some mid ranged team and you get poached or picked up into a pro team or if your team can hang with pro's over time those used to be how people moved up into those spaces.. but it feels like those stepping stones or platforms of access are no longer really there. 

I think its hurt pro gaming and competitive gaming in general. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

No idea what you guys are talking about. Overwatch is the same casual game for me as it always was - I just play Quick Play. 

If you play ranked, then of course it's going to be meta and people are going to be tryhard. It's the same in every game, especially after it matures.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Overwatch is fairy bad example. That game had always seemed designed to be an esports game. The negatives that are being experienced are more likely a result of the community just evolving over time.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:21 AM, masked_guy said:

and do you THINK esport was a mistake in the first place?

imo kinda. Esports most of the time makes games toxic. but sometimes games were meant to be for esports like fortnite.

17 hours ago, omarthegeek said:

imo kinda. Esports most of the time makes games toxic. but sometimes games were meant to be for esports like fortnite.

and has taken original ideas out of the window

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

how did RB6 get ruined ? that game still rocks 

I miss how the game looked back then, it was darker and gritter. Now it is too colorful .

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

Just now, The Great Kamek said:

I miss how the game looked back then, it was darker and gritter. Now it is too colorful .

thats called development and have nothing to do with esports ?. but yes when r6 was just released and started to gain abit traction it was the most fun 4 months. 

Just now, Norwegiantweaker said:

thats called development and have nothing to do with esports ?. but yes when r6 was just released and started to gain abit traction it was the most fun 4 months. 

Bad development route then 

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
    Dell SE2717HR 27" 75HZ
  • Cooling
    AMD Wrath Spire
  • Keyboard
    Rosewill Neon k85
  • Mouse
    Rosewill Neon m59
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 64-bit Pro

Yes, not just E-Sports, but Youtube gamers also..

take for example jackfrags, who has a large viewer base, he likes Battlefield, and all he does is try to make it into COD which he does not like.

with low time to kill, and extreme snappyness, this is all nice, if the K/D counter is the only thing driving you, and you have all your time to dedicate to one game, but for most of us, who just games a couple of hours a week, these games are impossible to be a part of, since it has nothing to do with strategy and intelligence anymore, it is all 100% reflex based.

I rarely enjoy these kinds of team games because 90% of the randoms you play with just scream at you for holding them back, it's crazy. Last time I enjoyed one was when I had a regular group in League, but rip finding enough friends with the same schedules as an adult.

I'm pretty sure my purpose in life is to serve as a warning for others.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, RasmusDC said:

Yes, not just E-Sports, but Youtube gamers also..

take for example jackfrags, who has a large viewer base, he likes Battlefield, and all he does is try to make it into COD which he does not like.

with low time to kill, and extreme snappyness, this is all nice, if the K/D counter is the only thing driving you, and you have all your time to dedicate to one game, but for most of us, who just games a couple of hours a week, these games are impossible to be a part of, since it has nothing to do with strategy and intelligence anymore, it is all 100% reflex based.

Your comment reminds me of a couple of matches i've seen from an semi-official ( i believe ) warhammer tournament with contenders straight out of the pro scene...
if it was about strategy and intelligence i wouldn't have left the group barfing, removed my games, stated in public to no nothing about a game called total war etc ....

10 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Your comment reminds me of a couple of matches i've seen from an semi-official ( i believe ) warhammer tournament with contenders straight out of the pro scene...
if it was about strategy and intelligence i wouldn't have left the group barfing, removed my games, stated in public to no nothing about a game called total war etc ....

i remember loving star craft (playing on a U.S.Robotics X2 modem (56k yeah) ... 

i played the ladder games, but then came the Zerg rush, where it was all about being fast to build the army, in the right setup, as fast as possible, and games just got really repetitive. i could win, but i felt like the games was just a FIRM strategy based on MAP, and that was the only thing you could do..

i loved supreme commander, you could rush in it, but it was just so much more a thinking mans game, where the queue system also supported us with a bit less click pr seconds. 

31 minutes ago, RasmusDC said:

i remember loving star craft (playing on a U.S.Robotics X2 modem (56k yeah) ... 

i played the ladder games, but then came the Zerg rush, where it was all about being fast to build the army, in the right setup, as fast as possible, and games just got really repetitive. i could win, but i felt like the games was just a FIRM strategy based on MAP, and that was the only thing you could do..

i loved supreme commander, you could rush in it, but it was just so much more a thinking mans game, where the queue system also supported us with a bit less click pr seconds. 

Both where nice games but not really my cup of tea....
One of the last games i truly wanted to match online must have been Gratuitious Space Battles. At a certain point the've implemented this campaign mode where you would meet the fleets used by other players during your trip over the campaign map conquering planets.

The whole setup of this game was to design, build and provide a range of simple orders ( such as move to distance from enemy, keep moving, formation, guard ) before the game started. Every match was just a meeting of two self imagined fleets sailing under their orders without any form of control. There were 3 different fleet classes of ships, fighters, destroyers and battleships each with their own specific bonusses, some governed by race choice others by class, weapon slots, armor and shield slots, utility slots providing for energy barracks etc all governed by mass, energy use you get the picture ....

We need something like that again ... for us newbs :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:34 AM, imbrock said:

Not to mention how everything is toxic and problematic. You can literally just type "a" in a chat and sure enough someone will get offended over it and reported you. Haven't seen any game community be so god damn fragile and endlessly offended.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Not to mention how everything is toxic and problematic. You can literally just type "a" in a chat and sure enough someone will get offended over it and reported you. Haven't seen any game community be so god damn fragile and endlessly offended.

that's modern online gaming for ya.

AND sHEEP explodes

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350 PC Mate
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
    Phanteks Eclipse P400