AMD Ryzen 7 1700 and AMD RX590 8GB impact on performance or not?

Good evening everyone. I have a quick question in my head:

I currently own an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 with an ASUS AMD RX570 4GB graphics card with 16GB of DDR4 2400Mhz quad channel memory on an ASUS Prime X370A motherboard. I would like to upgrade the graphics card to an AMD RX590 8 GB card. According to some benchmark sites, but I'm not sure that their information is completely reliable, there would be an impact of about 20% of the processor on the new card graph and a loss of about 15-16 FPS on most games ... Could anyone confirm or deny this? If this is the case, I will have to think about upgrading my processor to a more powerful version or try an overclock, not to feel this performance drop, unless it is not at all real? Thanks to those who could enlighten me on this subject and good evening to all.

Well the 1700 can deal with the 590 with ease. I'd say the 1700 can deal with 2070/Vega 64 levels before it begins to bottleneck a bit and you only really see a proper difference compared to intel when you reach 2080/Radeon VII levels of performance.

The real question you should be asking yourself is...why would you upgrade from a 570 to a 590 when the difference is fairly small, and why would you do that when Navi is just around the corner? Navi is what you should be getting, not the 590. A 570 is easily good enough. Wait it out and get that instead. Navi will offer much better price to performance than the average 590 does.

The 1700 is a good processor and will NOT impede the performance of an RX590 in any way shape or form. It will be a healthy upgrade from a 570. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

It depends, your CPU will limit you on high refresh rate however if you are looking for more graphical quality at around the fps range you're at already you'll be 100% fine.

With that said I do not believe going from a RX 570 to a RX 590 makes much sense, too much spending for little jump in performance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Okay, thanks for the answers. I hope to win some gaming performances, because on the games I currently play with the 570, I never shoot at more than 120 - 140 FPS while I saw that it is possible to have much more with a newer video card (?) (I say can be a stupidity with that but hey, I ask do not know it ever)

It's not worth it to buy a RX590 at this point when the performance difference is quite small, if you're looking to upgrade wait for navi it should be out quite soon considering you're in no need for a new GPU.

8 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It depends, your CPU will limit you on high refresh rate however if you are looking for more graphical quality at around the fps range you're at already you'll be 100% fine.

With that said I do not believe going from a RX 570 to a RX 590 makes much sense, too much spending for little jump in performance. 

Okay I see. So it does not make sense to switch to a card with more video memory and even more recent to have more performance? And what I'm looking for is the quality of textures thoroughly without losing in FPS. I repeat, I'm currently running at 125 - 130 FPS maximum with a 60Hz Full HD refresh screen if that's what you're referring to. (?)

6 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

It's not worth it to buy a RX590 at this point when the performance difference is quite small, if you're looking to upgrade wait for navi it should be out quite soon considering you're in no need for a new GPU. 

OK I understand better. Quit waiting a few more years and upgrade everything, why not suddenly. I had just thought of that because some people made that investment, by changing their AMD RX570 by an AMD Radeon RX590 and according to what they said, they got about 25 to 30 more FPS in the same games and with almost the same CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 1800 in their case)

1 minute ago, elmahdi316hd said:

more video memory

When you open a video game, it loads 'images' onto your video memory, like all trees, cars, characters all of their images/models are loaded onto your video memory.

You usually need more video memory when you will load higher resolution textures, images, models and so on for the game like when you'll play at 2560x1440p or 4k.

At 1080p 4gb of video memory is still sufficient for pretty much any game out there, so you're not really limited by your video memory amount.

The RX 590 is still the same architecture of the RX 570 so even though it's a more 'recent card' it's still much of the same, it only has more shaders (AMD's equivalent to nVidia's CUDA Cores) so it's more capable at rendering images.

Now think like this, the GPU only job is literally draw/render/paint whatever you wanna call it the game you're playing, that world and scenario you're supposed to see on your monitor, the component that is creating this world however, it's physics, the stuff that happens, registers what you do and how the world reacts to it and so on is your CPU the Ryzen 7 1700.

If your processor can only keep up pace of all that's happening on the world as high as the 125~130fps and that's is it's limit then having a better GPU will not help you since it's the CPU fault for not being fast enough to tell the GPU what it should draw.

In this case getting a better GPU won't give you more fps will only allow you to increase your graphical settings and quality higher without losing the fps you already have.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, elmahdi316hd said:

60Hz Full HD refresh screen

Doesn't matter how many FPS you get, since you are only outputting max 60FPS.

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

When you open a video game, it loads 'images' onto your video memory, like all trees, cars, characters all of their images/models are loaded onto your video memory.

You usually need more video memory when you will load higher resolution textures, images, models and so on for the game like when you'll play at 2560x1440p or 4k.

At 1080p 4gb of video memory is still sufficient for pretty much any game out there, so you're not really limited by your video memory amount.

The RX 590 is still the same architecture of the RX 570 so even though it's a more 'recent card' it's still much of the same, it only has more shaders (AMD's equivalent to nVidia's CUDA Cores) so it's more capable at rendering images.

Now think like this, the GPU only job is literally draw/render/paint whatever you wanna call it the game you're playing, that world and scenario you're supposed to see on your monitor, the component that is creating this world however, it's physics, the stuff that happens, registers what you do and how the world reacts to it and so on is your CPU the Ryzen 7 1700.

If your processor can only keep up pace of all that's happening on the world as high as the 125~130fps and that's is it's limit then having a better GPU will not help you since it's the CPU fault for not being fast enough to tell the GPU what it should draw.

In this case getting a better GPU won't give you more fps will only allow you to increase your graphical settings and quality higher without losing the fps you already have. 

Ok I understand better, thank you for explanations. And if I decided to invest in a Radeon Vega 56 or Radeon Vega 64, would it be the same? No impact on performance or still a little with my current CPU?

7 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Doesn't matter how many FPS you get, since you are only outputting max 60FPS. 

Alright I understand. It's because of my 60Hz screen that it is bridled if I understand correctly? And if I had a screen in 144Hz it would necessarily be different strictly speaking?

Just now, elmahdi316hd said:

?

Well the Vega 56 and 64 cards would now represent a more meaningful jump in performance to the point it will make sense and at 1080p you will be able to crank some ultras even.

Do have in mind what was explained above though, your monitor is of 60hz that means it can only show 60fps, rendering more frames than 60 is pointless outside high paced competitive shooters like CS:GO where you still get a small advantage rendering more frames.

if you'll play a single player game like The Witcher 3 however then you'll want to max out the settings as high as possible while keeping within 60fps.

Personal Desktop":

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well the Vega 56 and 64 cards would now represent a more meaningful jump in performance to the point it will make sense and at 1080p you will be able to crank some ultras even.

Do have in mind what was explained above though, your monitor is of 60hz that means it can only show 60fps, rendering more frames than 60 is pointless outside high paced competitive shooters like CS:GO where you still get a small advantage rendering more frames.

Okay, thank you for your answer. I play mainly shooting games / FPS and often several characters simultaneously, which means that you have to have a number of images per second enough to be effective enough conscience and not stupidly miss its target. That's why I disable the vertical sync, because even if what I see actually remains 60 IPS, I notice that when the game is unrestrained at 120 - 130 IPS, I still get a little better ... Finally, it's no doubt a bit silly but it's just a personal feeling. With that, thank you all for your explanations and good evening to everyone.

21 minutes ago, elmahdi316hd said:

OK I understand better. Quit waiting a few more years and upgrade everything, why not suddenly. I had just thought of that because some people made that investment, by changing their AMD RX570 by an AMD Radeon RX590 and according to what they said, they got about 25 to 30 more FPS in the same games and with almost the same CPU (AMD Ryzen 7 1800 in their case)

Yeah, but from what i understand you have a 60Hz monitor, so even if you gain those 15-20fps and a higher visual quality it still doesn't make sense to drop all that money on a GPU that only slightly is better, if you want to upgrade your GPU just wait for navi, it should be out this year.

If you were going for gaming then you should have gone with an intel CPU as the architecture delivers better FPS. 

I personally would also go with Nvidia, something like a 1070ti or 1080ti would be much better suited then a 590, although probs more expensive, there are some really good deals going on the "old" architecture

If you have a 60hz monitor like @keNNySOC said then there isn't any point upgrading at all, as it won't be noticeable. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

13 minutes ago, elmahdi316hd said:

That's why I disable the vertical sync, because even if what I see actually remains 60 IPS, I notice that when the game is unrestrained at 120 - 130 IPS, I still get a little better ... Finally, it's no doubt a bit silly but it's just a personal feeling. With that, thank you all for your explanations and good evening to everyone.

It's not silly at all, what you feel is real:

However to your case, replacing your current monitor for an actual 144hz one would be of much more use to you than replace the RX 570 for a higher end GPU.

Personal Desktop":