Any advice on slowing down my noisy Noctua NF12 Industrial CPU fan

Spraggzilla

The fan on my CPU heatsink died this week, and the only fan I had to hand as a replacement was the l Noctua NF-12 Industrial 3000 PMW.  As you can imagine, my system is now pretty noisy all of the time.

I tried selecting the silent profile under bios (still too noisy), and any attempt to draw my own graph under the "manual" setting only seemed to make matters worse.

Does anyone have any advice?  Do I need to buy a new CPU fan?  Should I turn off monitoring of the CPU fan in bios and control the fans using some other software - if so what software and what settings would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Most Nocuta fans come with a low noise adaptor.  It cuts the speed in half iirc. 

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

What motherboard do you have?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

What motherboard do you have?

Good question!

I'm using an Asus Strix Z270E Gaming board

27 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

? Use bios and set RPM to ~20-30% i.e. 600-900rpm.

Would you be able to give any more instructions on how to do that?  

1 minute ago, Spraggzilla said:

Good question!

I'm using an Asus Strix Z270E Gaming board

Try Asus AI Suite, it has Fan Xpert+, allows u to tune fan profiles. Its not perfect but it works.

if that fails, do try that low noise adapter i mentioned.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

34 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

? Use bios and set RPM to ~20-30% i.e. 600-900rpm.

Minimum speed on the IPPC 3000 model is a very audible 750 RPM

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

3 minutes ago, Spraggzilla said:

Would you be able to give any more instructions on how to do that?  

I wouldn't recommend AI Suite.

In BIOS it's under Monitor (for my ASUS board at least).  Find the appropriate fan and in that menu you can key in values for temp and corresponding fan speed in percentage.  You may have to scroll down below where it shows your current fan speeds.  Pro tip: my Noctuas run at 1500RPM at 46%.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

36 minutes ago, Spraggzilla said:

The fan on my CPU heatsink died this week, and the only fan I had to hand as a replacement was the l Noctua NF-12 Industrial 3000 PMW.  As you can imagine, my system is now pretty noisy all of the time.

I tried selecting the silent profile under bios (still too noisy), and any attempt to draw my own graph under the "manual" setting only seemed to make matters worse.

Does anyone have any advice?  Do I need to buy a new CPU fan?  Should I turn off monitoring of the CPU fan in bios and control the fans using some other software - if so what software and what settings would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Buy a new fan, or get headphones. If you grab headphones, at the very least, you know that your CPU will be cool as can be with your thermal solution.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Did you get a low noise adapter with the cooler? i think they should all come with one, plug it in between the fan and the motherboard and it should cut the RPM

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

27 minutes ago, nick name said:

I wouldn't recommend AI Suite.

In BIOS it's under Monitor (for my ASUS board at least).  Find the appropriate fan and in that menu you can key in values for temp and corresponding fan speed in percentage.  You may have to scroll down below where it shows your current fan speeds.  Pro tip: my Noctuas run at 1500RPM at 46%.  

I am struggling a little to alter the fan settings.  The upper and middle percentages seem to be stuck on 60.  

Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Furthermore, what temperatures and percentages do you suggest working with for this fan?  

What about the fan is noisy? Is it vibrating? Is the bearing starting to die? is it literally just moving so much air that you can hear it? I've seen all of those situations so I have to ask.

I'd get in the BIOS/UEFI and change the setting. I haven't ever been on the board you have (I own a ROG Strix Laptop though) but there should be an option to get in there and change the RPM on the fans.

Fan Xpert+ is pretty cool though. I have a few friends that use it. That may be an answer you can use inside Windows. If that would work it might be nice so you can adjust the speed up if you're doing something that's causing the CPU to heat up.

If the fan is vibrating you need to figure out a way to dampen the vibration (usually I will use rubber washers), if it's the bearing you can clean it up with some WD-40 or something.

7 minutes ago, Spraggzilla said:

I am struggling a little to alter the fan settings.  The upper and middle percentages seem to be stuck on 60.  

Furthermore, what temperatures and percentages do you suggest working with for this fan?  

In my BIOS there are three temp settings.  If you set the lowest setting to a value of 50% then the higher settings cannot be any lower than 50 as well.  So make sure the lower settings are in fact lower and aren't preventing you from adjusting the middle and highest settings.  

And I'm afraid I'm not versed enough in your hardware to recommend any settings in relation to temps.  One thing I can say is that if your board is like mine then your highest controllable temp is 75*C.  After that it will go to 100% fan speed so you may need to find that low noise adapter.  I have an AIO and run my fans at 1500RPM all the time.  I don't sit close to my PC so it doesn't bother me.  

Noctua's iPPC fans are naturally more noisy than the non iPPC fans even run at same speed. But if you can control it to run at lower RPM, it can help.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

Did you get it sorted?

I mean you did buy 3000RPM industrial fans!  They aren't meant to be quiet they're meant to cool.

Sell them and buy some Silent Wings 3 fans.  Or embrace Noctua and their beautiful music as they cool your machine like no other.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

4 hours ago, nick name said:

Did you get it sorted?

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, I assumed that one had to first alter the lowest setting first.  Sadly whenever I enter a percentage it is automatically adjusted back to 60.  Never mind, I'm sure I'll be able to live with the noise for now.  

3 hours ago, Velcade said:

I mean you did buy 3000RPM industrial fans!  They aren't meant to be quiet they're meant to cool.

Sell them and buy some Silent Wings 3 fans.  Or embrace Noctua and their beautiful music as they cool your machine like no other.

You're exactly right.  It is, ultimately, my bad for not doing my research.  First builds will never be perfect. 

All my other fans are now Silent Wings 3 fans, they are lovely.

37 minutes ago, Spraggzilla said:

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, I assumed that one had to first alter the lowest setting first.  Sadly whenever I enter a percentage it is automatically adjusted back to 60.  Never mind, I'm sure I'll be able to live with the noise for now.  

You're exactly right.  It is, ultimately, my bad for not doing my research.  First builds will never be perfect. 

All my other fans are now Silent Wings 3 fans, they are lovely.

I'm running the same fans so hopefully you can get it sorted out.  I'm sure it's a setting you'll find eventually.  

9 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Did you get a low noise adapter with the cooler? i think they should all come with one, plug it in between the fan and the motherboard and it should cut the RPM

iPPC fans don't come with LNAs and LNAs generally don't work with their three phase motors!

If you want to slow it down manually, get the NA-FC1.

Alternatively, you might also want to try Speedfan.

17 hours ago, Spraggzilla said:

Do you have option to choose between DC and PWM? 60% sounds like DC setting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, Spraggzilla said:

Which header is the fan plugged into? Is the header set to pwm? You may need to re-run Qfan tuning in order for the correct fan rpm range to be detected. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

They wont have noise adapters. Use a fan hub, preferably one the cpu header. Then use the proper program being ai suite. Then you can lower them to 550/600 which should be plenty. Or get rid of them and get the 2k version.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

10 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

...Or get rid of them and get the 2k version.

At that point, wouldn't it be better just to get regular desktop fan? Which runs rather quietly by default?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

48 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

At that point, wouldn't it be better just to get regular desktop fan? Which runs rather quietly by default?

Yea, now that noctua offers their regular fans in black. That’s what I would do, especially water cooling now. 

But I’d consider any of those to be regular fans. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz