Apple Music surpasses Spotify in the U.S.

16 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

What is the point of so many songs? You can only listen to a fraction

Depends of what scratches by itch, I have very varied tastes. But no I've not listened to everything, in fact I now often use Spotify because it's more convenient than plugging in my external HDD, or moving the files to my phone / iPod. 

I also have a 1,400 game Steam backlog so I'm definitely Mr. Backlog.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I use Apple Music, but I get a student discount with it.  I'm adding music to my library all the time.  It's not like I'm just listening to AC/DC and Demon Hunter over and over.  I branch out and listen to other stuff also.

Right now I got a mix of that 8-bit/16-bit electronic music that I like.  Sure, I could spend $1.25 on each song... but even after adding 5 songs, that's more than I'm paying a month for Apple Music, and with how much music I add to my library, Apple Music is the cheaper long term solution.  Especially when we talk about full albums.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, handymanshandle said:

For me, it's one very simple answer: because I don't want to listen to 128kbps AAC audio files through YouTube.

I'm not necessarily a person who's like "fLaC oR nOtHiNg REEEEEEE", but I'd prefer something a little better quality than what YouTube forces iPhones to use.

He mentioned youtube red (for ad-free youtube) and google play music. Play Music has 320kbs mp3's, basically the standard high quality stream.

1 minute ago, bobhays said:

He mentioned youtube red (for ad-free youtube) and google play music. Play Music has 320kbs mp3's, basically the standard high quality stream.

I can't say that I remembered what Google Play Music used, but I targeted the YouTube portion mainly because that's what I'd likely use, mainly on the account that I've organized a lot of my music on there already.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I use Apple Music and still buy albums from ITunes as well.

its the ecosystem that makes it so worth it.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

On 4/6/2019 at 3:11 AM, poochyena said:

I don't understand the appeal of music streaming sites. Its $120 a year is a huge amount of money for music you don't even own. You could buy around 100 songs for that cost. Not to mention it using up data and not being able to listen to music without internet access (which is common for me when driving in rural areas).

To people who prefer to stream than to buy; why?

I probably find more than 100 new songs a year, so for me it makes financial sense, and you can download the music to listen to offline. If Apple Music ever shuts down I will just start using a different streaming service, I tend to listen to a song for about a month and then will rarely come back to it, so I'm not really bothered about owning songs. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps. 

On 4/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, Mihle said:

I would never switch from Spotify to either Google, Apple, or especially just YouTube.

Spotify have better sound quality, by a a very noticeable margin. The noticeable margin from Spotify to Tidal or CDs are much smaller than it.

I also love the integration with Spotify between devices, it's better than any of the others. I currently use Spotify quite a bit on my computer and would not want to do it through a browser...

Spotify has 320kbps bitrate and Apple music has 256kbps, not a huge difference. 

Specs: 

• i5-8600K 
  • Evga Black RTX 2070 
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz 
  • ASRock Extreme 4 Z370 
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Light TG 

Plays: Minesweeper at 1000 fps.