GPUs are vulnerable to side-channel attacks (the same kinds of attacks as Meltdown and Spectre)

Fasterthannothing

Computer scientists at the University of California at Riverside have found that GPUs are vulnerable to side-channel attacks, the same kinds of exploits that have impacted Intel and AMD CPUs

Well great another piece of computer hardware that has a major exploit good grief.

Two professors and two students, one a computer science doctoral student and a post-doctoral researcher, reverse-engineered a Nvidia GPU to demonstrate three attacks on both graphics and computational stacks, as well as across them. The researchers believe these are the first reported side-channel attacks on GPUs.

These attack's are done by user counters for the performance trackers on GPU's

In this case, it exploits the user counters in the GPU, which are used for performance tracking and are available in user mode, so anyone has access to them.

There are three different attack's

The first attack tracks user activity on the web, since GPUs are used to render graphics in browsers. A malicious app uses OpenGL to create a spy program to infer the behavior of the browser as it uses the GPU. The spy program can reliably obtain all allocation events of each website visited to see what the user has been doing on the web and possibly extract login credentials

In the second attack, the authors extracted user passwords because the GPU is used to render the login/password box. Monitoring the memory allocation events leaked allowed for keystroke logging.

The third attack is the one that hits the data center. It targets computational applications, using the same memory sniffing for grabbing passwords but this time on a neural network to learn the network’s structure. In short, malicious code could sniff out your neural network algorithms and steal them.

Unfortunately they say the current fix turning off access to the counters breaks alot of things. This sounds like some horrible stuff but it does need to be installed via a malicious program so just be careful what you install. 

Source:https://www.networkworld.com/article/3321036/gpus-are-vulnerable-to-side-channel-attacks.html

Let's see if the web ones can be dealt with using browser patches 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Game consoles are becoming more and more the safer option to go with 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Can i just disable browser hardware acceleration?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, Shorty88jr said:

Well great another piece of computer hardware that has a major exploit good grief.

These attack's are done by user counters for the performance trackers on GPU's

There are three different attack's

Unfortunately they say the current fix turning off access to the counters breaks alot of things. This sounds like some horrible stuff but it does need to be installed via a malicious program so just be careful what you install. 

Source:https://www.networkworld.com/article/3321036/gpus-are-vulnerable-to-side-channel-attacks.html

Time to go back to the stone age.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Even if it got demonstrated on an Nvidia GPU, its smart to assume the same can be done with AMD cards.

Just so we dont get a:

"Apple AMD doesnt get viruses"

Apple don’t even have video cards ♥️ 

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

TEN GIGALEAKS

per second.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Even if it got demonstrated on an Nvidia GPU, its smart to assume the same can be done with AMD cards.

Just so we dont get a:

It actually isn't. Its smart to not assume anything and just wait for a proof of it on amd or Intel gpus.

Just like those exploits touch more Intel than amd since Intel squeezed the original idea to get as much ipc out of it, I wouldn't be surprise me to see amd and Intel gpus to be at least less impacted by those exploits for the same reason.

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

Good luck updating BIOS on one when they do find something and there will be no means to fix it. Or people even being aware of it...

3 hours ago, Shorty88jr said:

In the second attack, the authors extracted user passwords because the GPU is used to render the login/password box. Monitoring the memory allocation events leaked allowed for keystroke logging.

To be clear, the attack allows an attacker to detect when the browser has rendered a new frame, as well as some properties of it (such as the size of the repainted area). That allows the attacker to guess, for example, that you appear to be typing into a password field. They can then measure the time between each keystroke, which has been shown to reveal some information about the keys that were pressed. It doesn't actually disclose the password, but it does reveal the length and a non-zero amount of information about the content.

The paper can be found at http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~zhiyunq/pub/ccs18_gpu_side_channel.pdf. It's pretty readable, though it is 15 pages (the interesting parts are pages 6-11).

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, Arika S said:

They have GPUs too

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

They have GPUs too

Yes but their operating systems are more locked down in terms of what the user can and can't do.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yes but their operating systems are more locked down in terms of what the user can and can't do.

I wouldn't consider that a positive. A brick is very secure, but not very useful.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Just so we dont get a:

AMD doesn't get viruses tho :D.

They weren't affected by Meltdown and they weren't really affected with Spectre except for old obsolete stuff.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

AMD doesn't get viruses tho :D.

They weren't affected by Meltdown and they weren't really affected with Spectre except for old obsolete stuff.

would be interesting if both AMD and Intel were safe, but i would assume they arent. 

18 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I wouldn't consider that a positive

in the case of this exploit it absolutely is, also who is browsing the internet on a console?

Edit; this is also 5 month old news at this point. pretty sure we would have heard more about it if it really was a big deal

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

in the case of this exploit it absolutely is, also who is browsing the internet on a console?

Probably more people than you think. Besides, nothing's stopping a game developer from taking advantage of this - the games are closed source and I doubt Sony runs sufficiently thorough tests to catch a side channel attack in something like this.

It's also worth noting that accidentally downloading and installing malicious software believing it to be something else is almost exclusively a Windows problem - not something inherent to using a pc. Still, if all you do is play games from trusted stores and browse the web (which is all you can do on a console) you're unlikely to be affected.

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Edit; this is also 5 month old news at this point. pretty sure we would have heard more about it if it really was a big deal

There hasn't been a single reported instance of spectre being exploited in the wild, that doesn't make it any less serious.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Can i just disable browser hardware acceleration?

I do anyway, as it always causing hitching in some games for me, with multi-monitor and some sites like Netflix open.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

6 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Just so we dont get a:

the way amd handles the tasks in the gpu is not even close to similar, so we can't say one way or another

Didn't nvidia say they were safe from meltdown?

Tdlr be nice right now but how is this vulnerability working 

Too Busy at work atm

5 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

the way amd handles the tasks in the gpu is not even close to similar, so we can't say one way or another

But if it is done through API we can assume those variants can be used on any GPU. 

I would say my default possition in these scenarios are to assume that they are applicable to some level on other hardware

15 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Based on my understanding of the attack from the paper, I suspect that the OpenGL->OpenGL attack still applies to AMD cards (and likely unreleased Intel discrete cards too), although they didn't test it in the paper. The attack is about detecting memory allocations performed by other threads, and using that as a side channel to fingerprint certain activities, which is not likely to be dependent on the GPU architecture. It's entirely possible that more accurate data can be obtained with one manufacturer over another because of scheduling and the like, but I think it's likely that this is a general problem with all graphics architectures.

This is just speculation though.

HTTP/2 203

so this is another you need to be infected with something to have this work? like the others?

am I reading this right?