trying to add usb c to my pc whlist still keeping existing usb 3.0

harryberry272

i noticed today that my pc case has a usb type c cut out but no port. i found a cable which would add the port perfectly to my pc but the only issue is it connects to the usb 3.0 20 pin header which means id have to unplug my existing usb 3.0 port and connect that to a 2.0 header as my motherboard only has one 3.0 header which is annoy as id like to keep the 3.0 speeds on the existing port.

ive seen usb 3.0 header cables that go into 2 usbs before so i was wondering if there was a way i could get a usb c and usb 3.0 port to connect to the one usb3.0 header on my motherboard. ill link the cables im referring to below

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USA-Single-Port-USB3-1-Type-C-Female-to-USB3-0-Motherboard-19pin-Header-Cable/173831361733?hash=item28792814c5:g:XlEAAOSwpwZbzqi4

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-USB-3-0-A-Female-to-20-Pin-Header-Motherboard-Cable-Lead-Adapter-Connection/273399871310?hash=item3fa7e6f74e:g:-moAAOSwfsFbfpvA

If your motherboard only has one 20 pin connector, it really only be able to support one or the other. You can't just get a splitter for it because the 20 pin connection is physically limited to 2 ports maximum. My suggestion would be to get a PCI-e expansion card, you can get ones that will give you rear I/O and an internal 20 pin if you need one. Plus the only take a PCI-e x1 

https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Port-PCIe-internal-UGT-PC345/dp/B00CBNAP54

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

yes ive seen them but due to how my pc is set up there wouldnt be enough room to add one, i only have one usb 3.0 at the moment connected to that header so there must be away of adding a usb 3.0 and usb c to the one header if 2 is the maximum it supports

6 minutes ago, harryberry272 said:

yes ive seen them but due to how my pc is set up there wouldnt be enough room to add one, i only have one usb 3.0 at the moment connected to that header so there must be away of adding a usb 3.0 and usb c to the one header if 2 is the maximum it supports

Well unfortually, usb c uses 18 pins alone, so that's why a 20 pin to usb c only has one where type a can get two max out of them. It's just the physical limitations of they are. If you motherboard only has one 20 pin and you can't add in an expansion card, then from my knowedge you'll have to pick one or the other cable. 

WINDOWS HAS NOT DETECTED A KEYBOARD

PLEASE PRESS 'F1' TO CONTINUE OR 'F2' TO ABORT.

Just now, MarbleHornets said:

Well unfortually, usb c uses 18 pins alone, so that's why a 20 pin to usb c only has one where type a can get two max out of them. It's just the physical limitations of they are. If you motherboard only has one 20 pin and you can't add in an expansion card, then from my knowedge you'll have to pick one or the other cable. 

okay, ill probably just use the 2.0 header for the usb 3.0 then and the 3.0 for the type c and try and find a motherboard which will do both when i next upgrade thanks for your help much appreciated?