Anthem "Exposed": They Done fucked up

Noctus

Would seem the reality behind the "blockbuster game" Anthem is finally revealed.

Good video by Joe:

Lengthy Article detailing it's conception to retail that Joe refers to: https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

It wasn’t even supposed to be called Anthem. Just days before the annual E3 convention in June of 2017, when the storied studio BioWare would reveal its newest game, the plan had been to go with a different title: Beyond. They’d even printed out Beyond T-shirts for the staff.

Rather glad i never paid any more than a passing interest in it. Game would apparently be 6 years in PRE-PRODUCTION and had 1.5 years tops to make and finalise the game..... jeeeez. Feel sorry for everyone that snapped this up without a thought.... slightly.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

3 minutes ago, Noctus said:

had 1.5 years tops to make

I could make a game just as good in 1.5 minutes

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, m1rr0red said:

Can someone summerize this for me please?

Anthem was just another of those huge projects that under delivered.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, m1rr0red said:

Game was in pre-production from 2012 to 2018, at which point it finally went into full production and was crapped out in a year. They used an engine that wasn't made for RPGs, EA screwed them over by enforcing microtransactions, and it's just overall a massive shitshow. 

TLDR: Games as a service. 

EDIT: Also, despite EA being cancerous as usual, BioWare main team still had 7 years to finish the game and they still delivered jack-all. BioWare is well and truly dead. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

2 minutes ago, m1rr0red said:

In short? Making Anthem was very much like making ME:Andromeda.

1. Many dev teams arguing and bickering

2. EA insisting on using Frostbite which was very hard for them

3. True developement started about 1.5 year ago (and not 6, like they claimed before)

4. The game wasn't even supposed to be named Anthem

5. The gameplay was supposed to be different as well

In short, if anyone thought that they sacrificed Andromeda for Anthem, they were wrong. The process looked very much the same.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

3 minutes ago, m1rr0red said:

Wow. EA is doodey poopoo not funny and wearing a tootoo.

yikes.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

something tells me they just weren't willing to take development off Dragon age to save it and they were just like; Fuck it release it.

20 minutes ago, Noctus said:

Lengthy Article

My index finger is cramped from all the scrolling I did. Doesnt help that their formatting only allows for the sit to take up half of a 1080p screen...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I wish people would finally stop with this bullshit that Bioware, Ghost, Westwood or whatever EA's internal studio name are some poor independent studios bullied by EA. This crap always blows up my kettle and people just keep on saying it. It's all EA. EA owns them entirely and 100%. If Bioware fucked up, that means EA fucked up. There is no Bioware anymore. Bioware as an independent studio was gone when EA bought them. Period. Ende. Finito.

I've seen this bullshit on NeedForSpeed subreddit when I complained what a stupid garbage NFS Payback was and how it's missing things that NFS games had freaking 2 decades ago and how that is absolutely and entirely inexcusable. And queue in excuses by dumb gamers how Ghost Games (another EA's internal studio name) is this and that and how they are trying and blablabla. I. DON'T. CARE. You made a game with name from one of longest running franchises in existence and that's the crap you served me for 60€? Are you kidding me? Yeah, NFS Payback was the final nail in the coffin and a point when I decided to just start boycotting EA the same way I do Ubisoft. Which means I shit on them on every opportunity and not buy or play any of their games. Because that's the only thing they deserve.

59 minutes ago, m1rr0red said:

Timestampped for ya here.  Watch 1-2mins  and you'll get it.

1 hour ago, m1rr0red said:

I watched the video and read the article, basically boiled down to three things:

1.) Lack of leadership - Decisions not being made quickly enough. Unclear vision throughout most of the development. (e.g. Removing and re-adding the flight mechanic, not once, but multiple times throughout production)

2.) Using Frostbite engine - Engine wasn't designed for online looter shooter. Bioware had to write and rewrite a bunch of codes to get even the most basic things working (e.g. Save and load). Lots of bugs and hacks in the engine itself. To add even further, the original vision of the game (which was more of a dynamic survivor shooter, not looter shooter) was impossible to achieve with the frostbite engine.

3.) Resource mismanagement - EA allocated a lot of Frostbite engineers to work on FIFA instead of Anthem. Anthem developers that wanted to report a bug or have a question had to wait up to a week to get a response.

Jet packs and unforced errors by BioWare management. 

Key parts:

Such a major last-minute upheaval might seem strange to an outside observer, but on Anthem, it was common. Very few things went right in the development of BioWare’s latest game, an online cooperative shooter that was first teased in mid-2012 but spent years floundering in pre-production. Many features weren’t finalized or implemented until the very final months, and to some who worked on the project, it wasn’t even clear what kind of game Anthem even was until that E3 demo in June of 2017, less than two years before it actually came out. Later, they came up with an explanation for the name: The game’s planet was enveloped by something called the Anthem of Creation, a powerful, mysterious force that left environmental cataclysms across the world.

By the beginning of 2018, by another former developer’s recollection, Anthem’s progress was so far behind that they’d only implemented a single mission. Most of the high-level design had still not been finalized, like the loot system and javelin powers. And the writing was still very much in flux. “They talk a lot about the six-year development time, but really the core gameplay loop, the story, and all the missions in the game were made in the last 12 to 16 months because of that lack of vision and total lack of leadership across the board,” said the developer.

My 2 favorite parts:

Over the months, Anthem had begun naturally picking up ideas and mechanics from loot shooters like The Division and Destiny, although even mentioning the word Destiny was taboo at BioWare. (Diablo III was the preferred reference point.) A few people who worked on the game said that trying to make comparisons to Destiny would elicit negative reactions from studio leadership. “We were told quite definitively, ‘This isn’t Destiny,’” said one developer. “But it kind of is. What you’re describing is beginning to go into that realm. They didn’t want to make those correlations, but at the same time, when you’re talking about fire teams, and going off and doing raids together, about gun combat, spells, things like that, well there’s a lot of elements there that correlate, that cross over.”

Meanwhile, the gaming landscape was changing. Electronic Arts had gone all-in on regularly updated “games as a service” but was struggling in several key areas, closing Visceral Games in San Francisco and facing serious drama at its ambitious EA Motive studio in Montreal. The Star Wars Battlefront II pay-to-win debacle led to a reinvigorated public hatred for all things Electronic Arts and a publisher-wide reboot of all things loot box, even as EA executives continually pushed for all of their games to have long-term monetization plans, Anthem included. EA has been public about its distaste for linear games that can be easily returned to GameStop after a single playthrough.

*shocked Pikachu meme*

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

One of the most concerning things in the article is this:

“Some of the people in Edmonton were so burnt out,” said one former BioWare developer. “They were like, ‘We needed [Dragon Age: Inquisition] to fail in order for people to realize that this isn’t the right way to make games.’”

About 95% of Bioware was developing Dragon Age during Anthem's pre-development , and by the end they had people dropping out in what they called "emotional casualties", where team members would just disappear for months because it was so stressful to work at such an insane pace. TO THE POINT that some devs wanted their game to fail in order to prove a point. The sad thing is that this will probably be the last game Bioware ever makes as EA is notorious at shutting down "under-performing" studios.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

Developers need to unionize, and strike.

I'm somewhat conservative leaning, I don't like unions because if they aren't carefully controlled and structured correctly, you end up pricing your employer out of business and you end up with shitholes like Detroit. So that should tell you how serious I am about this.

Developers need to unionize and strike, and take back control of their businesses. These "publishers" are nothing but parasites that take over a developer, and in the end demand infinitely, exponentially increasing profit, and in the result we as a customer suffer, and the developers suffer due to bad business practices.

This needs to stop. Developers need to take back control of the development process, 100%. They must maintain all creative and intellectual control of these properties, and publishers need to be told

"You are nothing more than an investor. You give us money, we make a game, you get the profit we are able to make from it. You have zero control over what that game is, how it is released, how it is marketed, what the development and release timeline is, or what the content of that game is. If you don't like it, move the fuck on and we'll find someone else that wants to make some money and is less of a sociopathic asshole".

End of story. These companies have show they do not care about the product or the consumer, they are 100% predatory and destructive in their behavior.

The purpose of a business should be to bring a good or service to market at a competitive value, not purely to make money by any means necessary. This mentality towards business needs to be beaten to death with a rubber hose.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What matters isn't how a game was made, how long it took, or how much it cost to make.  What matters is if a game is good or bad, and if it has support to keep making it better or maintaining it.  

If you don't like AE or Activision, etc…fine…don't buy their games.  Anything else is just people trying to make a buck or be more notable by armchair quarterbacking and not actually offering anything.

Glossing over the fact it was released 'fully' along side Apex Legends, but whatever. It's cool to hate on games for not being successful. I paid $20 for a month of Origin Access to play Anthem for well over 60 hours. Fun game for sure, had it's issues for sure. People hold Bioware in some gilded hall of developers for making a couple neat games, then shit all over them when they try something different, zomg it wasn't a classicly styled RPG where my choices matter(they never really did by the way)??!! SUUUUCCCKKKSSSSS. Get over it, it's a fun looter shooter with jetpacks. That's all it needed to be taken for, not the next holy RPG grail.

34 minutes ago, killertek78 said:

Glossing over the fact it was released 'fully' along side Apex Legends, but whatever. It's cool to hate on games for not being successful. I paid $20 for a month of Origin Access to play Anthem for well over 60 hours. Fun game for sure, had it's issues for sure. People hold Bioware in some gilded hall of developers for making a couple neat games, then shit all over them when they try something different, zomg it wasn't a classicly styled RPG where my choices matter(they never really did by the way)??!! SUUUUCCCKKKSSSSS. Get over it, it's a fun looter shooter with jetpacks. That's all it needed to be taken for, not the next holy RPG grail.

Sorry man, when Bioware is hailed as among the best RPG creators in history then they're degraded into making games like Andromeda and Anthem, nobody has to "get over it." People have every single right to complain, call it trash (because Anthem was), and ask why it exists when you could instead play Destiny 2, which is not only already has far more content but also acts like I'm doing something when I change the graphics settings.

39 minutes ago, killertek78 said:

Glossing over the fact it was released 'fully' along side Apex Legends, but whatever. 

And the fact that it was hyped on E3 for two years prior with big trailers while Apex had a pretty small launch, almost no hype, but whatever. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

And the fact that it was hyped on E3 for two years prior with big trailers while Apex had a pretty small launch, almost no hype, but whatever. 

Apex seemed like it had the Hearthstone treatment. "yeah whatever release it but if it fails you're going under", and as a result, accidentally allowing some talent to break out of the company

All the fault of this market mentality, the bigger fish swallows the smallers ones.

As long as company owners sell to bigger ones these things will keep happening.