New laptop for development and VM's

Hi everyone

I am looking for a new laptop to perform the following tasks:

- Coding (java, C#, python, php,...)

- Running virtual machines (2 or 3 at a time)

I have a budget that goes to about 1500 euro max. Weight isn't really a concern for me and for screen display I was thinking either 15 or 17 inch.

Although looks don't really matter I would like a backlit keyboard. Also, I am not looking for a desktop replacement and will be using it in a professional environment aswell so I want to avoid pure gaming laptops with giant logo's and rgb on them.

My apologies for any spelling / grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

Hello, welcome to the forum.

What do you need the VM s for?

Please mark as helpful and informative so my profile looks better.

quote or reply to me if you want me to reply to you.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Mad153 said:

Hello, welcome to the forum.

What do you need the VM s for?

Hi,

currently I need the VM's for educational purposes. So setting up windows server, experimenting with linux, penetration testing, etc.

My apologies for any spelling / grammar mistakes. English isn't my native language.

1 hour ago, SimonShipperd said:

Hi,

currently I need the VM's for educational purposes. So setting up windows server, experimenting with linux, penetration testing, etc.

I pretty much needed the same thing. My budget was about half of what you have. I ended up with an Acer nitro 5, but given a higher budget definitely would have gone with something out of the thinkpad line.

Just a word of advice from experience. Do not go "thin and light". I tried using my msi gs63 and it was so loud the majority of my teachers would not allow it in the classroom, and this was with basic note taking and browsing. Under load most thin and lights sound like a jet engine taking off.

3 hours ago, SimonShipperd said:

1500 euro max

Any links of online stores? Any preference on battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 hours ago, markr54632 said:

I pretty much needed the same thing. My budget was about half of what you have. I ended up with an Acer nitro 5, but given a higher budget definitely would have gone with something out of the thinkpad line.

Just a word of advice from experience. Do not go "thin and light". I tried using my msi gs63 and it was so loud the majority of my teachers would not allow it in the classroom, and this was with basic note taking and browsing. Under load most thin and lights sound like a jet engine taking off.

I don't perticular want a thin and light, I just don't want to be hauling a giant ass laptop arround all the time :D

2 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Any links of online stores? Any preference on battery life?

Uhm, websites we have here in the Netherlands are bol.com, coolblue.nl, azerty.nl

For battery, I would like it to at least last 5-6 hours during regular use.

Perhaps this one? It's going to be released next week: Lenovo IdeaPad 330-15ICH (81FK00JWMH)

It's got an 8750H, 16 GB ram, GTX 1050. The only thing I'm a little bit woried about is that the display is a TN panel and not IPS. Also I would replace the M.2 with something bigger and replace the mechanical hdd with an SSD I've got laying around.

Clevo PB51ED / PB71ED - might struggle a bit to obtain 5 hrs battery life

Clevo P960ED / P970ED - thin and light, might struggle a bit to obtain 5 hrs battery life

Asus GL504GM - gamer look

Dell G5 5590 2060 90Wh - CPU power limit and airflow issues

HP Omen 15-dc0975nd - gamer look

Dell G5 5590 1050TI - low sRGB IPS

Dell G5 5587 (suggest 8750H+1050TI) - low sRGB IPS

HP ZBook 15v G5 - low sRGB IPS, weak P600 GPU

(Lenovo website is down, therefore I cannot access. Take a look at Legion Y730 17, Y730 15, Y530 1050TI. Also Thinkpad P52 / P72 if you want mobile workstation)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128