Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB Failure

Hi, I am asking for a close friend. Recently we took out his old AX760i PSU to upgrade to a CM V1000 PSU and ensured there was no power cycling in the motherboard. After swapping the PSU he realised that the AX760i was a better fit for his case and put it back. The V1000 was never turned on. However, when he turned on the PC, it couldn't get past the bios screen into windows or would be stuck at the boot screen. When the ssd was taken out then the system could boot into windows. The sandisk ssd is to store data and did not contain any windows files and is about 5 or 6 years old. We've tried different sata plugs and different computers but the problem appears when the ssd is plugged into the PC. Other options we've tried was to plug in the ssd after booting into windows but the ssd was not detected in disk management or the bios.

Does anyone have any experience with this and any ideas on how to get the ssd working again? The ssd contains the entirety of his university work and he can't afford to lose the data in the ssd.

I would first suggest to try different sata ports or cables and switching sata power but if that doesn't work then he can buy a "Sata + Power to USB" cable, might have better luck there.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 hours ago, _Syn_ said:

I would first suggest to try different sata ports or cables and switching sata power but if that doesn't work then he can buy a "Sata + Power to USB" cable, might have better luck there.

We've done that and also tried plugging into my system

3 hours ago, Genotabby said:

We've done that and also tried plugging into my system

Tell him to send it to data recovery service if the data is really important, most likely theres an internal failure with the controller but the data is still there, and always ALWAYS backup your files

3 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Tell him to send it to data recovery service if the data is really important, most likely theres an internal failure with the controller but the data is still there, and always ALWAYS backup your files

Yea checked around and it costs him around $1500, which is very difficult as he is already struggling to pay rent and school fees

1 hour ago, Genotabby said:

Yea checked around and it costs him around $1500, which is very difficult as he is already struggling to pay rent and school fees

Did you get a direct quote from the services or google search? pricing doesn't make much sense to me since it's an SSD and only 120GB, I don't know

7 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

Did you get a direct quote from the services or google search? pricing doesn't make much sense to me since it's an SSD and only 120GB, I don't know

Directly contacted 2 companies. Both claimed that it likely a hardware failure.

2 hours ago, Genotabby said:

well damn that is brutal :| there's not much else he can do really, sorry to hear about it

14 hours ago, Genotabby said:

$1500 is pretty good for data recovery from an SSD. All components in an SSD are solid state electronics, which can make it more difficult to repair, if it's repairable at all. Your friend best start saving up, or decide whether the data is worth it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | [REDACTED] - 50GB US + CAN Data $34/month
Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 7i (16") 82UF0015US (i7-12700H, 16GB/2TB RAM/SSD, A370M GPU) Tablet: Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)