NVIDIA Fires Shots at AMD’s 7nm Tech - Claims "Can Create Most Energy-efficient GPU in the World Anytime"

With the release of the Radeon VII graphics card earlier this year, we got our first glimpse into what the future could hold in regards to 7nm chipset technology. It seems, however, that despite Nvidia being somewhat lagging in terms of their own 7nm development, CEO Jensen Huang is pretty confident that what AMD has isn't very good. Well, more accurately that what Nvidia has is better and can be even more so.

In a report via PCGamesN, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang has said:

What makes us special is we can create the most energy-efficient GPU in the world at anytime. And we should use the most affordable technology. Look at Turing. The energy efficiency is so good even compared to 'somebody else’s' 7nm.

This is clearly not a subtle way of pointing out that while AMD might have been the first to create a 7nm graphics card, it can’t really compete with Nvidia’s 12nm Turing. In fairness, even the most ardent Team Red fan would find it difficult to argue with that! These statements, are however, pretty hefty shots fired and with AMD set to release their new graphics card range sometime this Summer, let’s hope he doesn't end up eating those words!

Source: https://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-fire-shots-at-amds-7nm-graphics-technology/

Intel's entrance into the dGPU space can't come soon enough (2020). It's one thing smacking around AMD with your product stack's performance alone. It's another thing being entirely egotistical about it and getting too comfortable or content. Either way, I'm wondering if this overconfidence is a bit of foreshadowing of what to expect from another future architecture from NVIDIA, like the supposed Ampere. 

If Huang isn't going to do it, he shouldn't bring it up. Unless he's trying to be an American politician... 

Mother of God | Know Your Meme

Spoiler

Give a single-slot, low-profile, fanless 750 Ti with the power to RTX everything at 2160@60 Ultra. - The People

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Let's not forget about the fact that Huang dismissed Radeon VII for not having "anything special" but it has more memory bandwidth and raw compute performance and the actual release, Navi, is rumored to be able to trace a ray here or there. Huang knows what AMD has up their sleeves as much as we do so these lofty claims are easy to ignore.

Most efficient GPU in the world? Hit us then, I want a little GTX 1650 that performs around 1060 levels and doesn't require a 6 pin. Maybe single slot and low profile, as well, if you please.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

i mean , i believe him, whats the reason no to?  they've brought out results so far , AMD always hauls a hype train even before a hardware release & when actual results come out that ends up being 2nd best to their GPU.

Details separate people.

so, in other words

"We only release what we need to in order to barely win"

or

"We're a monopoly in the high end" 

or

"eat dick consumers" 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Then release one, NVIDIA. 

If you can do so anytime, why not now? A 1650 that doesn't require a dedicated power connector (draws its power from the PCI-e port) and has 1060-levels of performance would be real nice. 

If you claim you can do it, then do so please. We're eagerly waiting. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

22 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

i mean , i believe him, whats the reason no to?  they've brought out results so far , AMD always hauls a hype train even before a hardware release & when actual results come out that ends up being 2nd best to their GPU.

Its not so much AMD over hyping releases as it is customers and tech sites repeating every rumor and treating them as real. Then people expect a product to be significantly better than what they should because they have fooled themselves into believing the rumors.

*looks at how much performance mobile 20 series loses compared to the desktop cards*

so 20 series is a half baked shit without the best from the company?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Nvidia is the General Motors of the tech world. They can create something good so long as they throw proper money and R&D time into it.

Meanwhile, AMD is probably the Chrysler of the tech world, they can make decent engines but they don't have much money so they make about 39 different variations of the same base.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

21 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Its not so much AMD over hyping releases as it is customers and tech sites repeating every rumor and treating them as real. Then people expect a product to be significantly better than what they should because they have fooled themselves into believing the rumors.

AMD is guilty of "Poor Volta" though, I think they learned from that mistake. What was most amusing about that to me was that Volta was never a gaming GPU lol.

If it’s so easy, why not do it?

Definitely sounds like internet keyboard warrior bravado due to being scared…despite that he put it in a public place attributed to him.

Somehow, I think they're just trying to downplay as much as they can to sell as much as they can NOW before it happens.  That makes business sense, as even if the AMD offering is only about the same…it PROBABLY will be either lower price or lower energy…and hopefully both…which would cause a problem for him, even if nothing other than dropping prices on existing hardware for lower profit margin.

Poor Jensen is off his rocker, you never say such things in an interview.

Although this makes perfect sense if you consider that the goal of his company, from the very beginning, was to tell the whole wide world to go fuck itself

There was one point in my ownage of GTX 1080Ti where I had so many dumb problems with it I was "this" close to selling the damn thing and buying Vega 64. NVIDIA, stfu and sit down you annoying bragging little shit. This is one of reasons why I don't like NVIDIA and especially its founder who acts like a little kid bragging how his dad or brother can kick anyone's ass.

Great, so you have the most power efficient GPU and the fastest GPU while at that. Has anyone looked at the NVIDIA Control Panel recently and with honest face said "yup, this is modern". The damn thing looks the same as it did back in 2004 and it's absolute shit. Organized like a turd, all flickering and twitching, selections jerking around when you change anything, you need to use fat and useless NVIDIA "Experience" to get some extra mostly useless functionality that doesn't even work in 99% of stuff (like that custom shading thing that I couldn't get to work in any damn game). How about you shut up and improve your garbage software instead, eh NVIDIA?

I was setting up an AMD system for a relative and boy the AMD Crimson control panel is such a sublime experience. Beautiful, fast, responsive, well arranged and the new OSD feature is freaking amazing as we could monitor GPU clock under heavy load, see thermals and also the framerate without having to touch MSI Afterburner installer. No fiddling with extra fat software, it's a part of the drivers.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes, it is easy to create the most efficient GPU or anything of all time... the problem is that t needs to be good, if it a potato that has trouble playing minesweeper... then well. no one cares.

LOL true. That would not be efficiency though.

Efficiency does not mean low power. It means performance per watt, getting work done for less power...

1 hour ago, Chett_Manly said:

I mean hes not wrong. AMD's 7nm product has about 12nm RTX2080 performance at a higher power draw. The Nvidia's Turing architecture is more power efficient at 12nm than AMD at 7nm.  

Load Power Consumption - Battlefield 1

Now do compute. You know, the area in which power efficiency actually matters to the end consumer.

Pfft, I've already got the method to make any GPU the most energy-efficient.

*turns off computer and detaches power cable just in case*

Patent-pending.

It's fun watching all the snark between relatives (Nvidia and AMD CEOs).

1 hour ago, Chett_Manly said:

I mean hes not wrong. AMD's 7nm product has about 12nm RTX2080 performance at a higher power draw. The Nvidia's Turing architecture is more power efficient at 12nm than AMD at 7nm.  

Load Power Consumption - Battlefield 1

As many, many, many, many people have pointed out the bottlenecks involved in the architecture design are the main reason it's so poor at power per frame. Based off some claims about the exact % of dead time on bits of silicon i'd guess a more rational design could do the R7 performance at about 300W draw. I suspect small Navi will be 200w or less.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

There was one point in my ownage of GTX 1080Ti where I had so many dumb problems with it I was "this" close to selling the damn thing and buying Vega 64. NVIDIA, stfu and sit down you annoying bragging little shit. This is one of reasons why I don't like NVIDIA and especially its founder who acts like a little kid bragging how his dad or brother can kick anyone's ass.

Great, so you have the most power efficient GPU and the fastest GPU while at that. Has anyone looked at the NVIDIA Control Panel recently and with honest face said "yup, this is modern". The damn thing looks the same as it did back in 2004 and it's absolute shit. Organized like a turd, all flickering and twitching, selections jerking around when you change anything, you need to use fat and useless NVIDIA "Experience" to get some extra mostly useless functionality that doesn't even work in 99% of stuff (like that custom shading thing that I couldn't get to work in any damn game). How about you shut up and improve your garbage software instead, eh NVIDIA?

I was setting up an AMD system for a relative and boy the AMD Crimson control panel is such a sublime experience. Beautiful, fast, responsive, well arranged and the new OSD feature is freaking amazing as we could monitor GPU clock under heavy load, see thermals and also the framerate without having to touch MSI Afterburner installer. No fiddling with extra fat software, it's a part of the drivers.

AMD's control panel is vastly better looking and designed, but honestly the NCP has never bothered me. The biggest thing it needs is some work to make it more responsive, a problem its had from day one.