Shutting PC down using power button. Good or bad?

PopsicleHustler

Is it bad if I use power button to shut my PC down? The reason why I want to do it is because it won't force the Windows update this way. I haven't looked into this process, so I'm out of knowledge here.  The whole thing seems normal. Open apps get closed, I get 'Shutting down' text as usual then screen goes black and PC turns off a second later, whole process takes 5 seconds. So it just like shutting it down from the menu minus forced Windows update.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Shouldn't be a problem since you're just telling Windows to shut down when you're pressing the power button (as long as you're not holding it down). Thereby all applications can be closed gracefully and you shouldn't run into any issues.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

If you just hit the power button and it's mapped to a shutdown, that's fine. If you're holding it down, that's a hard crash. It'll screw with your pagefile and might require a system repair via sfc /scannow if you do it regularly and mess up a system file. The biggie is that if Windows has started updating in the background, can wreck your OS completely.

Why are you so opposed to letting Windows update itself? As long as you're not clicking "Check for Update" yourself, the updates should be fine.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's a hard crash

Actually, what OP described isn't forcefully shutting down but rather pressing the power button once without holding it. This triggers (if so configured) a shutdown. You can set it to do other things as well like reboot, hibernate, sleep or turning off all displays.

EDIT: This reply made more sense, before the answer above was edited.

Edited by toasty6776
Explaining the answer

WHIPLASH

3 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That's a hard crash. It'll screw with your pagefile and might require a system repair via sfc /scannow if you do it regularly and mess up a system file. The biggie is that if Windows has started updating in the background, can wreck your OS completely.

Why are you so opposed to letting Windows update itself? As long as you're not clicking "Check for Update" yourself, the updates should be fine.

Win 10 is forcing a security update KB4489899 that messes up performance in my games. I keep uninstalling it, but then Win 10 installs it back on without even asking me.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

2 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

If you just hit the power button and it's mapped to a shutdown, that's fine. If you're holding it down, that's a hard crash. It'll screw with your pagefile and might require a system repair via sfc /scannow if you do it regularly and mess up a system file. The biggie is that if Windows has started updating in the background, can wreck your OS completely.

I always hold down the power button...

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

I always hold down the power button...

I just turn off the breaker every time I want to turn off my PC.

WHIPLASH

3 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Actually, what OP described isn't forcefully shutting down but rather pressing the power button once without holding it. This triggers (if so configured) a shutdown. You can set it to do other things as well like reboot, hibernate, sleep or turning off all displays.

EDIT: This reply made more sense, before the answer above was edited.

Yeah, I realized that I'd left something very important out.

1 minute ago, toasty6776 said:

I just turn off the breaker every time I want to turn off my PC.

I pour gas on mine. Either it keeps running, it turns off, or I get a new computer!

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Win 10 is forcing a security update KB4489899 that messes up performance in my games. I keep uninstalling it, but then Win 10 installs it back on without even asking me.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-fixes-game-breaking-windows-update,38804.html

There's a workaround until Microsoft patches their patch.

haha I frequently get windows irritation and flick the PSU switch off with a FUMS under my breath. I dare you windows, break, I dare you... 

Anyways, I did the reg hack back in September of 2018 which turns a desktop LAN connection to metered, admittedly I am surprised my system hasn't updated since. I do get a popup telling me windows couldn't update which makes me smile as I wonder why I still have a windows machine... oh yeah fu elgato drivers. Clearly, I'm not worried about security as this is just a capture rig and net access is blocked via my router; all my machines are assigned static IPs.

*edit* doh, I didn't block this IP until February when I added a network switch so for five months metering this connection blocked all windows updates... thankfully with the october update fiasco!

Perhaps relative settings to the conversation, I have no pagefile with 32GB physical installed and hibernation is disabled.

I've noticed that the current Win10 Pro now lets you specify a metered connection in the network settings for desktops, however the functionality is not as restrictive as the windows version I did the regedit on. This current version will still execute some updates.

2 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

Fucking Win10. This is why i'm only going to it in 2020 when Win7 security updates are gone forever. I'm giving as much time as i can for Win10 to improve in ways that won't fuck my gaming session or overall OS customization since it just forces updates on you.

@aisle9

I was told that Win10 updates work in 'waves' and if something in a 'wave' was deemed problematic by users that installed it, it wasn't going to be mandatory until fixed. So, what gives? You know anything about that?

If you click "Check for Updates", you're ridin' the front wave, baby.

3 minutes ago, ReggieGRS said:

I'm under the impression OP didn't click on that and still it was auto installing again. Was it no longer deemed problematic cuz it has a workaround now?

If I knew how Microsoft's internal algorithms worked, I'd have a lot more money.